Class of 2017 - C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky

Pitt was going after Diagne but now with a coaching change coming I would say they are out

SU should be in a good position to land Diagne once again

Fingers crossed
I would not be sure that we would want him.

I would not be sure that we would want him.

Why wouldn't we want him? When he becomes eligible, Roberson will be gone and Lydon will probably be gone, leaving Moyer and maybe Thompson. And at center, Coleman will be gone and who knows about Chukwu. Plenty of room at the inn for Diagne.

Why wouldn't we want him? When he becomes eligible, Roberson will be gone and Lydon will probably be gone, leaving Moyer and maybe Thompson. And at center, Coleman will be gone and who knows about Chukwu. Plenty of room at the inn for Diagne.
Think of how few transfers we take from jr colleges. There will be someone else on our radar at the time he becomes available.

Think of how few transfers we take from jr colleges. There will be someone else on our radar at the time he becomes available.
Will that "someone else" be a better player than Diagne?

He's a little bit of a different story, no? The coaches thought he was good enough as a freshman to play right away and he would have been our backup center this season. His per minutes stats in JUCO are impressive, too. I don't see any reason not to take him. A freshman with more talent would be gone after 2 years anyway, so the limited eligibility wouldn't be an issue.

IDK, I just don't see why we wouldn't take a PF like Diagne in a heartbeat. 99% of the recruiting is already done, so our limited coaches on the recruiting trail could spend time and effort looking for some guards for 2017 instead of starting from scratch with a Forward.

Since the staff seems to still want him, why wouldn't he want to come here when he's done w/JUCO? If he got UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke offers, that's one thing, but Cincy and TCU? With DC, Roberson, Lydon (probably) and Chukwu (maybe?) all gone after 2017, he could play immediately for us...

Since the staff seems to still want him, why wouldn't he want to come here when he's done w/JUCO? If he got UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke offers, that's one thing, but Cincy and TCU? With DC, Roberson, Lydon (probably) and Chukwu (maybe?) all gone after 2017, he could play immediately for us...

Why would Chukwu be gone after 2017?

Why would Chukwu be gone after 2017?
I don't think he's a great pro prospect, but at 7'2", if he has a very good year, I could see him capitalizing. He'll also be 22 at the time of the 2017 draft...

It is very likely that we'll have 5 or more open scholarships for the class of 2017.
  1. Coleman graduates
  2. Roberson graduates
  3. Richarson could leave [this year or next]
  4. Lydon could leave after next year
  5. Battle could leave after next year
  6. If we land a 5th year senior, that player will be gone after next year
Now, I do not expect us to have 6 open spots. But 4 or 5? Absolutely. It would make a lot of sense for us to bring in Diagne to help bridge the gap between the returning talent and the young talent. He'd be somewhere in the middle, and an experienced player at that point.

We may have that many open slots...but with the probation can we fill 5 slots in one recruiting cycle?

It is very likely that we'll have 5 or more open scholarships for the class of 2017.
  1. Coleman graduates
  2. Roberson graduates
Now, I do not expect us to have 6 open spots. But 4 or 5? Absolutely. It would make a lot of sense for us to bring in Diagne to help bridge the gap between the returning talent and the young talent. He'd be somewhere in the middle, and an experienced player at that point.

We would only have Moyer, Chukwu, and Howard on the roster in that scenario. We could sign 8 guys if we wanted to. We should sign at least 6 guys.

The one big plus here is the fact especially with top recruits is the fact they would have a lot of PT and to some starting.:noidea:

1. Coleman graduates
  2. Roberson graduates
We could have up to 8 open ships...throw in the 3 open ones currently.

Diagne would be a great re-add to this next class. He would add some college experience, more polish and fill a much needed hole at forward/center/rebounding. I've been hoping we add a transfer that would become eligible in the 2017-2018 season, but Diagne would accomplish the same thing.

We may have that many open slots...but with the probation can we fill 5 slots in one recruiting cycle?

Yes. We have those many slots just to get back to the reduced 10 or 11 scholarships. As far as I know, the sanctions just prevent us from filling more than that, they don't say anything about how many recruits we can pull in in one class.

Isn't this just him going through the evaluation process? The key is no agent--not much to "worry" about here, IMO. He won't grade out as a first round pick.

Interesting choice here. Is he just trying to get more exposure and pick up some scholarship offers?