Class of 2017 - C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky

I like the idea of a 6'10"-7'3" + wingspan center in the middle of the zone, but Im not opposed to a center thats a little shorter that can still block shots and rebounds with authority either. As long as guys like MR and Lydon turn out to be the floor spacers we think they will be, Diagne should be very successful at the 4 or the 5. Hes a natural 5, but as others have stated, he is plenty quick and agile enough to play the 4. He does have an evolving 3 pointer. ..dont see him being able to use it for a few yrs though.

is it a widely held opinion that Diagne can play the wing in the zone? I keep reading how Diagne is going to play the 4 or 5 at Syracuse, but I just don't see him having the quickness and agility to play the wing in the 2-3 zone. That isn't a knock on Diagne, as I think he has above average agility for a 5. I just think the defensive demands for a forward in the zone are greater than what Diagne could do.

is it a widely held opinion that Diagne can play the wing in the zone? I keep reading how Diagne is going to play the 4 or 5 at Syracuse, but I just don't see him having the quickness and agility to play the wing in the 2-3 zone. That isn't a knock on Diagne, as I think he has above average agility for a 5. I just think the defensive demands for a forward in the zone are greater than what Diagne could do.
Here's how I look at it: if Ricky Jackson could play the wing in the zone, Diagne sure as hell can. I loved Ricky, but fleet of foot he was not.

So ur saying he will be as good as Otis? Thats what i wanna hear!

I would say yes to this and he will have more range offensively than Ottis but not from day one. Have to give him some time to develope outside of 10' in college. Overall I'm very high on Diange, expect he will be able to contribute as soon as he's needed and will be around for a while.

Here's how I look at it: if Ricky Jackson could play the wing in the zone, Diagne sure as hell can. I loved Ricky, but fleet of foot he was not.

Agreed he's got better speed and quickness than Rick but isn't on the Baye/Rak level. I think Diange will play the 4 situationally for us later in his career at SU.

But as you say like Rick he's a 5 who will be able to eat some minutes at the 4 in our system.

Patterson Eastside won easily over Cherry Hill East and Newark Tech beat Camden. Two more public title games are left today to round out the six teams that will play in the Tournament of Champions. Paulsboro is up big in the 3rd and they are expected to be one of the last teams in. The last team in would be the winner of Bergenfield and Ewing. Pretty sure TCA beat Ewing late in the season.
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/game/score/2843501/

Patterson Eastside won easily over Cherry Hill East and Newark Tech beat Camden. Two more public title games are left today to round out the six teams that will play in the Tournament of Champions. Paulsboro is up big in the 3rd and they are expected to be one of the last teams in. The last team in would be the winner of Bergenfield and Ewing. Pretty sure TCA beat Ewing late in the season.
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/game/score/2843501/
The Temple kid that's supposedly better than Mali plays for Ewing.

I say in the end, one of the top top seeds wins 2 games and the TOC. RC or Pope John. Best guess, Pope John. ;)
Seems like Bergenfield could be a tough test for RC as well. I just read about the Haskins brothers who dominated inside against Ewing. Both are football players with big bro DJ leading the way with 26 and 19 going to D2 Stonehill to play WR. While younger bro Jovanai had 20 and 26, is considered a 4 star prospect in 2016 with offers from SU and other high majors to play TE.

Pope John Seton Hall Prep is on replay, fios. Probably get this free 'on demand' for the next few months. They'll probably have most of the championships for replay.

Just watched most of the PJ - SHP game. Diagne had his usual double double, mix in at least 3 blocks, but let me speak more to details. Not sure if this is people's perception, but his low post array and footwork are very polished for this level. He spun to either side, drove, finished either hand (he is definitely ambidextrous). Basically commanded respect the whole game, was double teamed towards the end and did an ok job of finding the shooter or cutter. But he is nearly unstoppable against high school players. Got to the line a ton at the end.
Another item: Not only can Moustapha rebound, like Roberson, tip back after tip back after tip back. Between him and Jeromy Rodriguez, it just wasn't fair. :) Too many second chances for PJ. Seton Hall Prep had a bad outing yet still they somehow kept it close. Diagne had a few silly turnovers in the second half, but Pope John did a great job getting him the ball. He's a big kid. Maybe not as tall as Roc but he certainly has a thick build, enough to bang in the paint year 1. If he can prove to be quick enough on the wing, or big enough at the 5, he'll get decent run as early as soph year. Depends on how injuries play out or unforeseen departures, he could play his first year.
To me, he has a niche. Just has a knack for the ball, many extra possessions (similar to TR) and that he can use either hand, huge deal. Left hook is just as good as the right, and defenders can't shade him to either side. That is an enormous advantage inside of 10 feet. We'll see, but this guy went under the radar. He could be a big contributor in the coming years.

Just watched most of the PJ - SHP game. Diagne had his usual double double, mix in at least 3 blocks, but let me speak more to details. Not sure if this is people's perception, but his low post array and footwork are very polished for this level. He spun to either side, drove, finished either hand (he is definitely ambidextrous). Basically commanded respect the whole game, was double teamed towards the end and did an ok job of finding the shooter or cutter. But he is nearly unstoppable against high school players. Got to the line a ton at the end.
Another item: Not only can Moustapha rebound, like Roberson, tip back after tip back after tip back. Between him and Jeromy Rodriguez, it just wasn't fair. :) Too many second chances for PJ. Seton Hall Prep had a bad outing yet still they somehow kept it close. Diagne had a few silly turnovers in the second half, but Pope John did a great job getting him the ball. He's a big kid. Maybe not as tall as Roc but he certainly has a thick build, enough to bang in the paint year 1. If he can prove to be quick enough on the wing, or big enough at the 5, he'll get decent run as early as soph year. Depends on how injuries play out or unforeseen departures, he could play his first year.
To me, he has a niche. Just has a knack for the ball, many extra possessions (similar to TR) and that he can use either hand, huge deal. Left hook is just as good as the right, and defenders can't shade him to either side. That is an enormous advantage inside of 10 feet. We'll see, but this guy went under the radar. He could be a big contributor in the coming years.

I'm thinking of going to this Friday's game in Toms River to see Diagne play. I will try to get some pictures.

Newark Tech with the slight upset of Patterson Eastside which means Pope John gets to play a 6 seed instead of the 3 seed.
http://highschoolsports.nj.com/game/score/2843657/
Juiston had a good game, scored in the 20s as did Mustafa Lawrence of Newark Tech. Truth be told, seeds mean nothing. This Newark Tech team's record is 16-13 and that means absolutely nothing. ;) Their schedule was a who's who of NJ basketball so respect to them and anything can happen in the PJ game.

By the way, these two teams have met, with Pope John pulling off a 1 point win at PJ. So let's dance!