Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 48 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

I think Quincy is getting the open ship with Coles departure, hunch.

Okay, I shouldn't admit this, but a friend of mine kept telling me they were recruiting this kid Moten. I got mad and said I don't want to hear anymore about this kid. I have had that rubbed in to me for years. Demitrius Nichols even rubbed in it earlier this year. And I don't even know him. He was told the story.
I do think between Taylor, Bunch and Brown, one of these kids could seriously surprise. I don’t think it’ll be Moten-level but I think one or even two could have an impact as a key forward sub.

I watched every game I could that year, and yeah Sherm didn't stand out at all, from what I remember. Now, he is the point guard that I measure all others against. Not Pearl, or anyone else, Sherman Douglas was just about perfect as a point guard.
You could see Sherm’s potential as a freshman. He had swag and guts in the limited minutes he played. I liked him a lot. But I don’t think anyone thought he’d take the giant leap that he did as a sophomore.

Last edited:
I think Quincy is getting the open ship with Coles departure, hunch.
Is Quincy in the portal? Isn't there a one year requirement to sit out following a second transfer? Or is Quincy a graduate transfer, thus bypassing the requirement to sit out a year?

I've told this story before, but watching garbage time in a (yet another) blowout of Seton Hall in the Meadowlands in the 80's, there was this little guard that got put in after JB sat Pearl. He's trying to dribble all over the court and getting his pocket picked by the Hall's bench.

I looked at the the guy I went to the game with and told him I was going to hate this kid the next 3 years, if he even gets into a game.

Yup. Sherm.

View attachment 216258
That's how i felt about him. My freshman year, watching Pearl. And whenever Douglas was subbed in, it was such a drastic change. My friends and i used to joke about it. And then the next year, it was like a superstar just blossomed out of nowhere. I expected he was a 'career backup' with no upside.

I'm not going to regurgitate the doubts i had about Lebron James...

I don't see how some people are thinking this would be a poor choice for a backup center. Everyone always complains about how our centers are featherweights.View attachment 216275
I don't think weight/bulk is the only qualification we're after. It's just an easy point to illustrate. I'd take a splinter with Chet Holmgren's talent over a bruiser with hands and feet of stone.

I can tell you that our coaches disagree. I'm not saying I disagree with you. Just the coaches.
Let’s hope the coaches have a better eye for talent then.

I was just there. Uh what?
Yeah I had a college roommate from Wichita...I have stayed there with him in the past and I for sure heard the "Ghetto Bird" getting lots of flights in

I was just there. Uh what?

I mean what are we comparing it to? Different perspectives may have an impact here. If you are looking for Miami or NYC, umm then yeah that ain't your city. If you are looking for a city with culture, some things to do and not get yourself in too much trouble then it's just fine. I've been there more than a few times as recent as 2019. Always enjoyed my visit. KS as a state isn't gonna wow you with how flat it is. Not sure what would make Wichita a poor destination in my visits unless you are looking to go on a week long bender. Not all college kids are looking for that.

In all the times I've been there there was plenty to go check out and we didn't get bored. Bar scene was average to be fair. So Syracuse would have it beat there. As for things to see and do beyond that - it's a push. Weather is boring minus the storms and definitely a lot less snow.

Last edited:
Of course one of the great things about college basketball is that none of us actually know this.
Sure but banking on it isn't the smart route. If one of them out plays the transfer forward than so be it.

I have a hard time thinking that they recruit all these young forwards and not 1 of them can play college ball next year. they don't have any real back up center, that is a glaring weak point.
You really have a hard time believing that? Have you not watched college basketball for the last years. it's a tough jump. We are asking someone to be a starter at the ACC level. And that someone wasn't even a top 80 player in high school.

You really have a hard time believing that? Have you not watched college basketball for the last years. it's a tough jump. We are asking someone to be a starter at the ACC level. And that someone wasn't even a top 80 player in high school.
Then why recruit these high school players when there is an abundance of ready talent in the portal? Isn't the situation going to be nearly the same next year if they bring in a portal guy and he gets most of the minutes? Next year none of the young players will be really established and there will be many guys who could slide in. Personally, I would be fine if the staff rolled with the young talent at forward. JBA knows the zone very well and has played with the returning guys and if he played some, the defense should be outstanding when he's in. Can he score? Maybe. Maybe he could be a bridge to get one of the frosh ready.

Rankings can be very misleading don’t ya think?
Had some guy ranked 101st signed with Duke or Kentucky he may see his ranking skyrocket.
Not saying I disagree with your point, but rankings shmankings!

Then why recruit these high school players when there is an abundance of ready talent in the portal? Isn't the situation going to be nearly the same next year if they bring in a portal guy and he gets most of the minutes? Next year none of the young players will be really established and there will be many guys who could slide in. Personally, I would be fine if the staff rolled with the young talent at forward. JBA knows the zone very well and has played with the returning guys and if he played some, the defense should be outstanding when he's in. Can he score? Maybe. Maybe he could be a bridge to get one of the frosh ready.
They were recruited to be developed for the future. Not one of them outside of Judah was expected to make an impact as a freshman.