Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

With Sidibe and Marek graduating next year we should still be going after a center in 2021, someone who can play the 4 or 5 would be great
That’s the thing, the staff must not feel good about their top targets for 2021. They must not want to go in 2021 with just JBA and Edwards. Maybe if they felt good about Mac, this offer doesn’t happen; or maybe they think this kid is legit and feels hell be ready in 2021 and missing on Mac won’t be a big deal.

They might still go after a 5 next year, but it would be less of a priority now

I see some stuff i like.
Size. Unteachable. Discourages a lot of challenges where one of our slender fellows would get hacked.
Finishes simply around the rim. No wasted moves. Efficient.
Shot blocker. Challenges shots vertically. Doesn't assume the first challenge is the end of the play.
Moves pretty well. Decently quick feet, relatively.
Just toss it near the rim. He'll oop it.

Seems like a guy who could be decent at the beginning, and then really develop into a force. If he has the head for it and the will.

His free throw, though—something's wonky. It's like a one-hander. Seems to un-involve his left hand very early.
And he is a local kid. That's a plus.

That’s the thing, the staff must not feel good about their top targets for 2021. They must not want to go in 2021 with just JBA and Edwards. Maybe if they felt good about Mac, this offer doesn’t happen; or maybe they think this kid is legit and feels hell be ready in 2021 and missing on Mac won’t be a big deal.

They might still go after a 5 next year, but it would be less of a priority now
Maybe they want to win next year, we can't sacrifice a season because we are worried about missing a recruit the following year.

Interesting that the person who tweeted that, who I assume is his Mom, is followed by 100 people. One is whom is Julius Hodge. Sorry Julius. You're not going to win this recruiting battle.

...or perhaps with him already being familiar with Syracuse University, the COVID-19 factor works in our favor, since he hasn't physically visited any of the other places that have offered.
It could but I'm done trying to figure out 18 year old kid's logic. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Maybe watching the ‘03 title game reminded Jim what it was like to have some beef in the middle of the zone.

The reality is, the staff began two years ago looking for players with more size, after watching Chukwu and Sidibe get pushed around. They tried hard to bring in some heftier players in the class of 2019, it just didn't pan out. Think: Qudus Wahab.

Which is a good segue, because this guy reminds me a lot of Qudus.

Interesting that McAllister views him as a top 100 -- I wonder why he didn't have offers before [academic situation recently cleared up? That would be my guess.]

Interesting that the person who tweeted that, who I assume is his Mom, is followed by 100 people. One is whom is Julius Hodge. Sorry Julius. You're not going to win this recruiting battle.
They are close with billy edelin and many other cuse people. Some former players etc. Use to work out with dajuan coleman and devo as well as others with 315 basketball training. There are many reasons for him wanting to play in his hometown. His family/mom are here. I bet he has been waiting for a very long time and has tried very hard to get this offer. Not saying hes committing to us but I bet we have a very good chance here. JB probably gave him a "strong ass offer" will wade the gangsta!

I’m wary when a guy is completely unheralded in April with such offers as Missouri State and then all of a sudden Maryland or FSU offerS while absolutely no basketball is being played. Coach has been unreal at finding unrisen stars over the years but isn’t on a kid from Henniger? Something seems off is all.
I think he has the offers. I think we would want him to red shirt and I don't know that he wants to. I would not be surprised if he ended up at FSU

If the Saturday commitment holds then it’s gotta be FSU

I'd say if he told Waters it wasn't too late, and has received an offer from the staff... we think we can keep him home.

I do wonder how it is going to all play out, though. Does the staff think that the kid JBA can play the wing?
From the clips I've seen, he does have decent mobility for a 6-11 guy and it isn't unprecedented. Rick Jackson played the wing in a zone, as did Otis Hill in stretches.

Edwards is a classic center. Sidibe is a senior. Could see this kid redshirting and then being the backup 5 to Edwards in '21-22. That is, if we don't get a stud for that class.

His mom took this down last night but I screenshot it.

Said something about being happy to have her son home in Syracuse and hanging with Billy.
Screenshot_20200408-015316_Twitter.jpg

Well, getting Ballard as a project will probably limit the opportunity to get Morgan, Ettienne, or Clingnan. May.cause Edwards or AJak to consider transferring because Ballard would be in direct competition with for minutes in their junior and senior years. Still not sure that Ballard is D-1 caliber. Only saw a tape where he is playing with and against very small players.

Not sure I get the negativity. I can’t see this affecting Ettienne, a 2021 and especially Clingan, a 2022. As far as Morgan goes, I haven’t seen anything to suggest that we have a good shot. And Ballard might be a better fit for what we need.
If he isn’t D1 talent you won’t have to worry about the other guys transferring.
I think we can trust the staff here as well as the staff of Florida State and the other schools that have offered.

Last edited: