Cameron Lynch retires from NFL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cameron Lynch retires from NFL

I wish I was old enough to remember him.
How can you not remember him!? I think he had six years of eligibility! All kidding aside we called him “Old man Dan” because he was around so long. 4 of my 5 years and I saw him a ton that fifth year because he dated one of my friends.

We’ve had a number of great stewards at the linebacker position, many mentioned here.

Cam Lynch would’ve played for UGA or the like if he was 3 inches taller. GREAT player, better human being.

I have the good fortune of calling Danny Conley a friend. One of the humblest and most caring people you’d ever hope to meet.

That Miami game almost didn’t happen for Dan. He was hobbled up and made a go of it. Still did the job.

They all pale in comparison to Vince Giruzzi and Rich Scanlon
I feel like you’re being sarcastic here (if not, I apologize) but Rich Scanlon was pretty darn good. Team MVP & 2nd Team All-Big East as a Senior. Toiled around the NFL for 4 years as an UDFA & was even Defensive POY in NFL Europe one year.

Odd that you’d list him with Giruzzi.

From his Cuse.com bio, Rich’s Senior year:
“Recorded 147 tackles, which ranks 10th on SU’s single-season record list for tackles by a linebacker and is the most by an Orangeman since Tim Pidgeon had 98 solo tackles and 60 assists for 158 total stops in 1986 ... Recorded 94 solo tackles, the seventh-most in a season in SU history ... Ranked eighth in the NCAA and third in the BIG EAST with 12.25 total tackles per game and ninth nationally and second in the league with 7.83 solo stops per contest”

Last edited:
I feel like you’re being sarcastic here (if not, I apologize) but Rich Scanlon was pretty darn good. Team MVP & 2nd Team All-Big East as a Senior. Toiled around the NFL for 4 years as an UDFA & was even Defensive POY in NFL Europe one year.

Odd that you’d list him with Giruzzi.

From his Cuse.com bio, Rich’s Senior year:
“Recorded 147 tackles, which ranks 10th on SU’s single-season record list for tackles by a linebacker and is the most by an Orangeman since Tim Pidgeon had 98 solo tackles and 60 assists for 158 total stops in 1986 ... Recorded 94 solo tackles, the seventh-most in a season in SU history ... Ranked eighth in the NCAA and third in the BIG EAST with 12.25 total tackles per game and ninth nationally and second in the league with 7.83 solo stops per contest”

Yeah I didn’t quite get that either. Scanlon wasn’t Dan Conley (legend) but he was a pretty damn good linebacker.

One of my favorite SU LBs ever was Nate Helmsley. Undersized LB with the heart of a lion who overcame injuries to at least have a cup of coffee in the NL. Nice guy too - had a class with him my senior year.

Also loved Antwuane Ponds.
Mine is Tony Romano. Had him in my class when I was a TA. He was a joy.

Conley and Young was a great duo. My favorite individual LB's were Bullock, Greenwood and Clifton Smith. Maybe because it was my era.

Greenwood recruited Smith; went to the same high school. D'Brick also went to that HS on Long Island. Bullock from Rockland County. Are those caliber of players coming from in-state anymore? Curtis Samuel from Brooklyn (Ohio St.) comes to mind in recent history. Wrong forum, I know.

Either way, Antoine Ponds teamed up with Greenwood and freshman Keith Bullock was flat out scary.

Greenwood recruited Smith; went to the same high school. D'Brick also went to that HS on Long Island. Bullock from Rockland County. Are those caliber of players coming from in-state anymore? Curtis Samuel from Brooklyn (Ohio St.) comes to mind in recent history. Wrong forum, I know.

Either way, Antoine Ponds teamed up with Greenwood and freshman Keith Bullock was flat out scary.
Yeah we are not getting those type of prospects from NYS. I really think Malcolm Cater would have been a stud. He just had too many issues. Too bad.

Hopefully he has been a good steward of his money and invested well.
I’m sure that he did. Got to meet his parents at the games in New Orleans & Atlanta. They seemed like well-grounded people who would’ve pointed Cam in the right direction.

The best I ever saw in my 42 years following SU. Before the knee injuries, he was insanely good. College-Bosworth-level.
You do realize he was injured halfway into his RF year right? He hardly played more than a few games at 100%.

Yes, and your point is...?
It’s like declaring Jim Brown the greatest player ever based on 1 season of play.
Conley purely as a playmaker was great for a very brief stint in his early career. After that he was still capable but clearly not the same player. He became known for his grit, durability and endless knee surgeries. I never got to see him play pre-surgery and it’s sad that there are no videos posted anywhere from those games.

It’s like declaring Jim Brown the greatest player ever based on 1 season play.
That's a poor analogy. I never declared Conley the best ever. You do realize Conley came back after the initial injury and played at a very high level, right? The injury door that was opened by the first injury didn't allow him to play long enough at that high level.
I stand by my statement that he was the most talented LB I ever saw at SU. Feel free to contradict me, if that's your point. But, maybe your point is just to condescend.

That's a poor analogy. I never declared Conley the best ever. You do realize Conley came back after the initial injury and played at a very high level, right? The injury door that was opened by the first injury didn't allow him to play long enough at that high level.
I stand by my statement that he was the most talented LB I ever saw at SU. Feel free to contradict me, if that's your point. But, maybe your point is just to condescend.
If I recall, there were actually 2 separate knee incidents. He came back in 1992 but then sat out 1993 before returning in 1994. I still remember the gut punch headline in the P-S that declared him out for the 1993 season. His leadership alone would have made a huge difference for that defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom