Can Dungey duplicate what John O'Korn did 2 years as a true Frosh starting? | Syracusefan.com

Can Dungey duplicate what John O'Korn did 2 years as a true Frosh starting?

Alsacs

Living Legend
We have an outlier for a true Freshman can do. O'Korn did this 2 years ago.

Can Dungey get close to this?
Comp 259
Attempts 466
Pct % 58.1
Yards 3,117
TDs 28
Int 10
Rating 133.0

All on the OL. If teams have to respect the running game, Lester can use play-action, roll-outs, etc. to get some easy throws. Estime, Ish, and Erv are all solid weapons in space. Would love to see the TE's used more now...but it all is on the OL. If SU can't run, it'll be a long season.

We have an outlier for a true Freshman can do. O'Korn did this 2 years ago.

Can Dungey get close to this?
Comp 259
Attempts 466
Pct % 58.1
Yards 3,117
TDs 28
Int 10
Rating 133.0
Not in the ACC I don't believe. It would be great if he could, but he would have to do that in a much better conference.

Can't see him getting close tho the yardage. I'm hopeful on the completion percentage and TD/INT ratio.

All on the OL. If teams have to respect the running game, Lester can use play-action, roll-outs, etc. to get some easy throws. Estime, Ish, and Erv are all solid weapons in space. Would love to see the TE's used more now...but it all is on the OL. If SU can't run, it'll be a long season.

Even with Hunt (or maybe because of Hunt), the game plan coming in was ALWAYS going to be to take away SU's running game, stack the box and force the pass. No doubt, the play of the OL will be crucial. But, IMO anyway, the success of the O was always going to come down to how efficiently the QB performs in the passing game this year.

If he throws for 2000 and has a 2 to 1 TD/interception ratio, that will be a fantastic season. I've said it before about this kid, but aside from the poise and confidence he showed, his intelligence and decision making ability is what will determine if he succeeds this season. I strongly believe he has those qualities and we will see a better quarterback every week this season. This numbers may not show it every game as competition improves but mentally we will have a better quarterback.

Doubtful.

I'm bully on Dungey's potential. The kid has a lot of natural tools. But I think he's going to really struggle against the way P5 teams will defend him. I'm not trying to be critical, because he accorded himself well for a kid playing in his first collegiate game, having only three weeks of preseason practice under his belt.

Considering O'Korn's freshman season would have ranked as like the #1 or #2 statistically best season in school history for a QB, I'm going to say Dungey is probably not likely to have that kind of year.

The best chance at SU having a decent season IMO is for Dungey to have less than 300 attempts this year.

Last season I thought we threw the ball too much after Hunt went down. Not including sacks we called 31 pass plays per game the last 7 games. Even with Hunt I don't think throwing the ball that often gives us our best chance at winning. For comparison in 2013 Hunt threw the ball 24.5 times per game once taking over.

If Dungey is the real deal then maybe we can start throwing it over 30 times a game next year. Until then run the ball and shorten the game.

I'm not as concerned with his numbers this year I just want to see real grow over 12 games.
If our OLine can protect him I think we'll have a very good QB heading into next year.

631560778_14775.gif

Mind you I created this thread to point out a true Freshman QB can have a good year. I don't expect Dungey to play as well as O'Korn did but if he can produce 2500 yards 20 TD/10INT I would take it.