Can I get a job w/ kenpom | Syracusefan.com

Can I get a job w/ kenpom

pulaski74

Scout Team
I can make all sorts of numbers up, today I learned that Arkansas was the second most unlucky team in the country, holy crap. also su averages 17.2 seconds per possesions, not 17.1 or 17. 3 but 17.2. I'm thinking we have a 22.00000008 chance of winning the nc.

I agree with you on the "most unlucky team" stat. But on your other point - decimal points matter. If there are multiple teams with 17 seconds per possession, how would you distinguish them? 17.1, 17.2, 17.3... now you're getting somewhere. If you're reporting a stat, you need to be accurate (especially when ranking against other teams).

I can make all sorts of numbers up, today I learned that Arkansas was the second most unlucky team in the country, holy crap. also su averages 17.2 seconds per possesions, not 17.1 or 17. 3 but 17.2. I'm thinking we have a 22.00000008 chance of winning the nc.

You know that kenpom's "luck" factor is an objective figure, right?

IOW Ken Pomeroy is not sitting in his Mom's basement trying to rank subjectively how "unlucky" the 300+ college basketball teams are. It's more or less a calculation of deviation from what their record would be expected at this point. He just calls it "luck."

Last edited by a moderator:

Not sure what your point is...it's not "made up"
It just means they lost a bunch of close games and, the games they won, they won comfortably.

If you want two good pages for ranking data I use these two:

http://masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

And

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/rpi-ranking/rpi-rating-by-team

But it's not much fun when we are not ranked.

Kenpom makes up numbers?

I don't think you have any clue the amount data that's used for what kenpom does. Your post comes of as very ignorant.

Kenpom makes up numbers?

I don't think you have any clue the amount data that's used for what kenpom does. Your post comes of as very ignorant.
My bad, games don't matter, just check kp and go to bed. Why watch, you already know the outcome.

My bad, games don't matter, just check kp and go to bed. Why watch, you already know the outcome.

I must have missed that slogan on Kenpoms website. Are you failing to realize that Kenpom is based on the games that have already been played?

Listen, you can ignore the numbers and stats all you want, if that's your choice, ignore Kenpom, RPI, ignore all of it. Unfortunately for you as much as you want to trash it and think it's a joke it's actually useful to coaches.

You know, there was a time when people used to think Sabermetrics to baseball were a joke until the teams that started using it dominated the game until a majority of the teams used it. Even in basketball advanced statistics are being used whether you want to believe it or not, but continue to be closed minded, watch the games and pretend you know it all by the eye test instead of doing both. Doesn't hurt to open your mind a little bit, maybe you're just not capable.

Even in basketball advanced statistics are being used whether you want to believe it or not, but continue to be closed minded, watch the games and pretend you know it all by the eye test instead of doing both. Doesn't hurt to open your mind a little bit, maybe you're just not capable.
Let me guess, you're not a diplomat are you?

I must have missed that slogan on Kenpoms website. Are you failing to realize that Kenpom is based on the games that have already been played?

Listen, you can ignore the numbers and stats all you want, if that's your choice, ignore Kenpom, RPI, ignore all of it. Unfortunately for you as much as you want to trash it and think it's a joke it's actually useful to coaches.

You know, there was a time when people used to think Sabermetrics to baseball were a joke until the teams that started using it dominated the game until a majority of the teams used it. Even in basketball advanced statistics are being used whether you want to believe it or not, but continue to be closed minded, watch the games and pretend you know it all by the eye test instead of doing both. Doesn't hurt to open your mind a little bit, maybe you're just not capable.
Thinking ur right, just getting old and maybe a few too many pbr's. I get it

Kenpom is fun for a little bit but not overly useful. I like the idea of using advanced statistics to gauge teams, it just doesn't work too well at this point in time. A lot of the statistics are so derivative of the basic stats that have been used for decades, that there's not a ton of value added with them. You could look at the basic stats of some teams, compare them, and probably get pretty close to Kenpom's predictions of who will win and who will lose.

Kenpom is fun for a little bit but not overly useful. I like the idea of using advanced statistics to gauge teams, it just doesn't work too well at this point in time. A lot of the statistics are so derivative of the basic stats that have been used for decades, that there's not a ton of value added with them. You could look at the basic stats of some teams, compare them, and probably get pretty close to Kenpom's predictions of who will win and who will lose.

I really really doubt this. The pace adjusted and schedule adjusted numbers are pretty huge and it's hard to discern that just from the basic stats.

Doesn't mean the KP, or any advanced or non advanced stats are perfect, but I think it's a pretty big value add.

I really really doubt this. The pace adjusted and schedule adjusted numbers are pretty huge and it's hard to discern that just from the basic stats.

Doesn't mean the KP, or any advanced or non advanced stats are perfect, but I think it's a pretty big value add.
But to the OP's point if they have a stat that they call "luck" and then try to define it objectively, that sounds like BS. They're doing their whole product line a disservice by putting in a measure that everyone knows is made up. Are they really trying to quantify through formulas the term "luck"?

But to the OP's point if they have a stat that they call "luck" and then try to define it objectively, that sounds like BS. They're doing their whole product line a disservice by putting in a measure that everyone knows is made up. Are they really trying to quantify through formulas the term "luck"?

Luck is a poorly titled metric. Probably better understood as randomness, or the unknown, or what we can't explain yet, or why we play the game. It is something that is useful in a larger understanding of a team's rating vs their W-L record.

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/ratings_explanation

The easiest one to understand is Luck, which is the deviation in winning percentage between a team’s actual record and their expected record using the correlated gaussian method. The luck factor has nothing to do with the rating calculation, but a team that is very lucky (positive numbers) will tend to be rated lower by my system than their record would suggest.

It is very useful and there is a ton of added value. It takes those basic statistics and distills them in a quantitative rankings of every team's offense and defense and provides predictions for every single game played.

Kenpom makes up numbers?

hey bro you left off an f, what r the odds on that?

It is very useful and there is a ton of added value. It takes those basic statistics and distills them in a quantitative rankings of every team's offense and defense and provides predictions for every single game played.

I know what he does. We disagree about the usefulness.