Can someone explain our defensive philosophy? | Syracusefan.com

Can someone explain our defensive philosophy?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I mean specifically. I understand football lingo. Is our DL a two gap responsibility group or are the gap filler for the LBs to make the plays.
What are the LBs supposed to do and what are their assignments.
Are we a cover-2 defense? Is the SS more of a LB and is FS supposed to be high at all times for pass support. I know one thing we don't play bump and run at all with CBs. We give huge cushions want to keep the ball in front but we give a lot of easy passes as a result.

Can we please keep this on this I am serious in just wanting to understand the philosophy.

I mean specifically. I understand football lingo. Is our DL a two gap responsibility group or are the gap filler for the LBs to make the plays.
What are the LBs supposed to do and what are their assignments.
Are we a cover-2 defense? Is the SS more of a LB and is FS supposed to be high at all times for pass support. I know one thing we don't play bump and run at all with CBs. We give huge cushions want to keep the ball in front but we give a lot of easy passes as a result.

Can we please keep this on this I am serious in just wanting to understand the philosophy.
me too. i don't understand the constant blitzing,rather than being more selective and less predictable---i understand the cushion as we appear to be less skilled and slower in that area. it would help though if we did not sell out all time to pressure the qb. i confess i know little about the defense. i do know we need to see more of strickland on the o side

In a nutshell it's monkey-see-monkey-do.

When the ball carrier blows through your dlineman's half-a$$ed arm tackle, everyone else-even if you have a clean angle-try to arm tackle him too. The safties get bonus points for the old superfly snuka flying arm tackle attempt...you lose points if you actually tackle the guy cause then we dont get to see the cheerleaders do their jumpy split things and that awesome sideways head bob while they go smiley face yay! The scheme isn't cover 1, 2, 3 or 4...it's a revolutionary new system called softa$$ cover. It requires the unteachable skill of backpedaling. If the receiver breaks off his route, backpedal some more. If he blows past you keep backpedaling until the ball is out, then turn and look at his feet. Blitz-heavy is a misnomer and really a brilliant piece of coach-marketing-dusinformation. It's really 'blitz-happy' as in yes, yes I'm blitzing I'm blitzing...not...oh wait...who's this big guy coming at me? he looks awfully upset...hey there big feller-hey-hey! easy now, I swear I was just pretending...awww cheerleaders...Are you with me so far?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom