Can we have a nice civil chat about “Cuse”? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can we have a nice civil chat about “Cuse”?

Keep LGO but add something new. When I was at the LSU game in Baton Rouge last year, their fans were asking why our fans only use the same cheer and the answer is...that's all we have.

Its times like those when I wish the “Hey! You suck” chant was still a thing. The people on here describing the horrified looks of the Texas/Kansas fans at the 2003 final 4 had me dying laughing.

I ask that way, because I’m sure this could tick many off. But I’m also sure there must be some on my side. (Can we have this on the basketball side too?)

We’ve been talking a lot for years at work about this, and I feel this is the best place to further the discussion.

Where the heck did “‘Cuse” come from? Was it someone lazy? Was it an attempt to have a similar nickname to ‘Bama, ‘canes, ‘noles, etc? It is a trademarked thing with the university, and quite honestly it makes my skin crawl. (Isn’t it nice to have a great football season so we can talk about petty stuff like this?)

What exactly is “Cuse Mode”? When that shirt came out I thought “c’mon Nike, you can do better than that!”. I will not spend a dime on merchandise that uses the term.

When I see a close up of the cheerleaders on a broadcast and one says “let’s go ‘cuse!” I just want to die inside. God forbid they have a microphone in the middle of the field. What is the back story on “Cuse”? Please enlighten me.

Forgive me if you prefer “‘Cuse”. And if that’s you, can you agree that it would be nice to be more uniform as a fan base?

I’m a firm believer that the most acceptable phrase is “Go Orange”. That is incorporated in the good old “let’s go Orange chant”, so no argument there. Orange Nation is great as well.

But I envision a world where we check out at the grocery store and say Go Orange. You hang up the phone, Go Orange. You get the idea. You can’t do anything in Alabama without a “Roll Tide”. Yes I know we’re not Alabama, but we can root for our team with an official phrase. Anyone catch the Auburn “War Eagle” commercial this season? It’s a thing of beauty, well except for all the Auburn stuff.

I walked up the hill this year, and an Uber or Lyft pulled up. A guy got out and thanked the driver, and they exchanged “Go Orange”’s. I couldn’t help but smile, as it was exactly what I wish we had here.

I know for a fact that HCDB feels that the one thing missing here is “our own thing”. A tradition. Like UCLA’s 8-clap. I personally think we’ve made strides this year with Wildhack/ Babers in that regard. The organic “whose house/our house” chant in the Dome is really taking off. I’d like to think every person in town giving a “Go Orange” to each other would contribute to the overall unity of the base.

I just would really like to know others opinion on this.
I personally like “Cuse”. I also like orange. A few years ago I was in a Florida restaurant with eleven others celebrating a birthday when a restaurant employee walks up to the table and says “Go Cuse”. I loved it

I’ve lived on the West Coast the last 3 decades. I often wear my Orange S ball cap. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve walked by that have yelled out to me, “Cuse!”

I ask that way, because I’m sure this could tick many off. But I’m also sure there must be some on my side. (Can we have this on the basketball side too?)

We’ve been talking a lot for years at work about this, and I feel this is the best place to further the discussion.

Where the heck did “‘Cuse” come from? Was it someone lazy? Was it an attempt to have a similar nickname to ‘Bama, ‘canes, ‘noles, etc? It is a trademarked thing with the university, and quite honestly it makes my skin crawl. (Isn’t it nice to have a great football season so we can talk about petty stuff like this?)

What exactly is “Cuse Mode”? When that shirt came out I thought “c’mon Nike, you can do better than that!”. I will not spend a dime on merchandise that uses the term.

When I see a close up of the cheerleaders on a broadcast and one says “let’s go ‘cuse!” I just want to die inside. God forbid they have a microphone in the middle of the field. What is the back story on “Cuse”? Please enlighten me.

Forgive me if you prefer “‘Cuse”. And if that’s you, can you agree that it would be nice to be more uniform as a fan base?

I’m a firm believer that the most acceptable phrase is “Go Orange”. That is incorporated in the good old “let’s go Orange chant”, so no argument there. Orange Nation is great as well.

But I envision a world where we check out at the grocery store and say Go Orange. You hang up the phone, Go Orange. You get the idea. You can’t do anything in Alabama without a “Roll Tide”. Yes I know we’re not Alabama, but we can root for our team with an official phrase. Anyone catch the Auburn “War Eagle” commercial this season? It’s a thing of beauty, well except for all the Auburn stuff.

I walked up the hill this year, and an Uber or Lyft pulled up. A guy got out and thanked the driver, and they exchanged “Go Orange”’s. I couldn’t help but smile, as it was exactly what I wish we had here.

I know for a fact that HCDB feels that the one thing missing here is “our own thing”. A tradition. Like UCLA’s 8-clap. I personally think we’ve made strides this year with Wildhack/ Babers in that regard. The organic “whose house/our house” chant in the Dome is really taking off. I’d like to think every person in town giving a “Go Orange” to each other would contribute to the overall unity of the base.

I love saying 'Cuse! I say it all the time and think it is really cool. Much better the saying Go Orange. That has been pathetic since the Orangemen name change.

Go 'Cuse..'Cuse..'Cuse..'Cuse

The first guy I remember using the term Cuse a lot was Tim Brando. He used it extensively when he was doing SportsCenter in the late 1980s/early 1990s. He continues to use it a lot to this day. I blame him.

I originally disliked it. It irritated me. Over time, I accepted it. It was probably Al McGuire’s regular use of the term that pushed me over the top; that and the song in 1996.

These days, the SUAD uses it a lot; heck, their website these days is cuse.com. The cheerleaders run around carrying flags that spell out C U S E. I think the SUMB has even spelled out CUSE in some of their routines. Life goes on. Times change. Cuse is cool. I think you should accept it and move on.

It rolls out the tongue so easily it should be in a chant. It's a damn crime it's not. People all over the USA call us Cuse. But I'm not a tradionalist. I like what fits and makes most sense. We are Cuse. Everyone calls us Cuse! Put it in the Chant! That will never happen though because some people do not like change.

Last edited:
We need MORE nicknames, chants, cheers and songs, not less.

We have great fans but we a turrrible at that stuff. Straight up embarrassing really.

Cuse, Orange, SU, bring em all on. And more. Much more.

Yeah lots of references...I remember Rafferty saying it pretty often and Rafferty always talked Cuse up great on tv. Then you had Vital who would say Syracuse when doing his schtick and he would say Syyyrrrrrrrrrrracuse! The guy honestly loved Syracuse but sometimes when he was deep in his schtick, Syracuse took 60 seconds to finish. The Cuse is in the house...oh my god...loved that chant...No issues with Cuse at all. Signed Cusefan69!!

Its times like those when I wish the “Hey! You suck” chant was still a thing. The people on here describing the horrified looks of the Texas/Kansas fans at the 2003 final 4 had me dying laughing.
Loved that! Loved the old intros back in the day also...Who’s He? So What! Who cares!! Big deal! Big ! Good times for hoop intros back in the day.

Loved that! Loved the old intros back in the day also...Who’s He? So What! Who cares!! Big deal! Big ! Good times for hoop intros back in the day.

I truly can’t believe that’s gone now?

I feel like they just stopped it within the last year or two?

Ridiculous.

Wait this no longer happens?

Yeah. Go ahead. Take a dump on my town. It's cool. I mean I know your alma mater (you wanna talk about barf in your suit at a sound you make with your mouth??? Hey Muffy! Care for some shrimp?) is up there...high on the hill where the sewage just rolls down to where all of us scrubs and street folk do what we do. But yeah. Orange. Of course. You know, live from Orange in the middle of nowhere. Got a nice ring to it.

Oh! You wanted a civil discussion? Yeah ok. No prob. Use toilet paper next time. Flush twice. That way you might convince people your ish really doesn't stink. No prob.
Lived in Syracuse since I was 8 weeks old moving out here in 1970 from Orange County California. (Thank you mom and dad for getting me out of there) I love it here, and will never leave.
I’ve been attending football games since 1974. I was at the last game at Archbold. The first game at the Dome. Season tickets for basketball from 1983 until 2014. Football season tickets since 1986. This isn’t about the town. It’s only the term I don’t like.

And I got news for you Mr. Assumeyouknowwhoiam. I didn’t even go to college, smarty pants.

For me it goes back to Al Maguire spazzing outbwith Wallace et al in 1996. I love it.
Lol I’ll never forget my family going from pure glee to watching al “dance”
We was just
1543282274401.gif

Again everyone, this isn’t anti Syracuse in any way. This is just me not caring for Cuse, and wishing we all just said go Orange, like roll tide, after every “see you later”. I love this area, and am as passionate as anyone for the athletics.

If you want to say you’re from the Cuse go ahead. I just prefer to not say “go Cuse”.

GO ORANGE

Keep LGO but add something new. When I was at the LSU game in Baton Rouge last year, their fans were asking why our fans only use the same cheer and the answer is...that's all we have.
Well it could be two: There is "Let's Go Orr-ange" and then there is "Let's Go Arr-ange". Two totally different cheers. I like it no matter how you pronounce it.

Again everyone, this isn’t anti Syracuse in any way. This is just me not caring for Cuse, and wishing we all just said go Orange, like roll tide, after every “see you later”. I love this area, and am as passionate as anyone for the athletics.

If you want to say you’re from the Cuse go ahead. I just prefer to not say “go Cuse”.

GO ORANGE
It fits better in the headlines: "Cuse wins National Championship".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom