Carmelo Anthony | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo Anthony

I forgot to mention his fine Olympic career, which only strengthens his case. And I was also considering some of the small forward/scoring power forwards already in the HoF, many of whom are not his equal, IMO.

As for his ultimate place in history, he probably doesn't belong among the top 10 small forwards right now, but if he does play at a high level into his late 30s and get himself a title, he could possibly crack the list.
I'm so glad you brought that up, by all accounts I remember Carmelo was a terrific team player w/ the olympic teams. There is no player in the universe who can win w/o teamates and melo has been saddled by this his entire career, great player trying to do too much.

I would like to know if there were any other NBA players who have a building named after them from their alma mater. I think this is the coolest thing about Carmelo, "Anthony donated $3 million to kick-start a fund-raising campaign for a new basketball practice facility at Syracuse". The practice facility has been a huge recruiting tool and has been a huge contribution to our program.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske..._at_syracuse_the_melo_center_or_the_2003.html

From Carmelo's perspective after his NBA career is over the building named after him might be his favorite accomplishment.
Plus he donated all that money even though he was only on campus a year. That makes it even more special.

Plus he donated all that money even though he was only on campus a year. That makes it even more special.
His philanthropic efforts rival those of any professional athlete I am aware of. He has done tremendous work in Syracuse, Baltimore, Denver and NYC, yet still has an army of critics always ready to remind us of a few missteps he made years ago. Go figure.

I'm so glad you brought that up, by all accounts I remember Carmelo was a terrific team player w/ the olympic teams. There is no player in the universe who can win w/o teamates and melo has been saddled by this his entire career, great player trying to do too much.
Just look at Walt Chamberlain. I'm very old school perhaps but still think overall he was the greatest NBA player. And yet, according to this article, it wasn't till his scoring average was cut in half at the end of his career that he won a title.

https://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00014133.html

As for his prodigious claim re scoring with women, I'm impressed but more appalled. I can't see how he could possibly view women as people if an individual one never impressed him enough to get multiple appearances in his bed, let alone out of it.

His philanthropic efforts rival those of any professional athlete I am aware of. He has done tremendous work in Syracuse, Baltimore, Denver and NYC, yet still has an army of critics always ready to remind us of a few missteps he made years ago. Go figure.

After he retires from the NBA I have a feeling he's going to spend a lot of time around the Orange and the program. Maybe help with recruiting.

After he retires from the NBA I have a feeling he's going to spend a lot of time around the Orange and the program. Maybe help with recruiting.

I hope it's in an official capacity, otherwise that could be a violation.

His "old man's" offensive game should serve him well as he ages; he's never relied on raw athleticism to get his points, and he's become a better deep shooter over time. I wouldn't say he needs a title, either; based on his year at SU and his NBA career to date, he's already a lock for the Hall of Fame.

Melo certainly would seem to have the footwork, shooting, and tricks of the trade to remain effective long after his athleticism fades. Look at Paul Pierce for a recent example of a guy like that. He's gotta stay healthy. I'm not sure I see 21 PPG for 5 more years though. I'd say 2-3 more, and then maybe a few more as a 15- 18 PPG type. After 36 or so, all bets are off. Guys can remain effective for a few and then suddenly fall off a cliff like Pierce now or Vince Carter last year.

This is cherry picking, but he's averaged 60 games a year for the 4 years prior to this.

I'm just saying, I think averaging 60 games a year for 8 years after you turn 32 is really difficult. That's all. Agree he'll be top 10 or so by the time he retires

One of those was a strike shortened season though.

First time poster, long time lurker. I agree wholeheartedly about Carmelo's philanthropic efforts. It came as a total surprise when I was vacationing in San Juan two years ago and passed by a little neighborhood called La Perla, where I saw a basketball court with Melo's name across it. I didn't enter this neighborhood by the sea, as I was told it had been dangerous for a while due to drugs. (Tourists are told to keep away from this area, although I can't verify if what is said is true.) However, Carmelo saw people in poverty and did what he could to help. He takes a lot of flack on the court(whether warranted or not) but he is pretty selfless off of it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 85
First time poster, long time lurker. I agree wholeheartedly about Carmelo's philanthropic efforts. It came as a total surprise when I was vacationing in San Juan two years ago and passed by a little neighborhood called La Perla, where I saw a basketball court with Melo's name across it. I didn't enter this neighborhood by the sea, as I was told it had been dangerous for a while due to drugs. (Tourists are told to keep away from this area, although I can't verify if what is said is true.) However, Carmelo saw people in poverty and did what he could to help. He takes a lot of flack on the court(whether warranted or not) but he is pretty selfless off of it.
Good stuff. I believe his father was from Puerto Rico.

Please post more often.

His "old man's" offensive game should serve him well as he ages; he's never relied on raw athleticism to get his points, and he's become a better deep shooter over time. I wouldn't say he needs a title, either; based on his year at SU and his NBA career to date, he's already a lock for the Hall of Fame.

KG was a lock for HOF and didnt have nearly the negative buzz that follows Melo and he still needed a title and got 1. Melo would be well served to focus only on a title and not worrying about personal statistics at this point. He gets the title, everything else he wants will come.

KG was a lock for HOF and didnt have nearly the negative buzz that follows Melo and he still needed a title and got 1. Melo would be well served to focus only on a title and not worrying about personal statistics at this point. He gets the title, everything else he wants will come.
It's the Basketball HoF, not the NBA HoF, and people are evaluated based on the totality of what they did in the sport. There are players in there now who have nothing close to Carmelo's resume. Do you want to make a case that small forwards like Chet Walker and Bill Bradley belong, but Carmelo does not?

It's the Basketball HoF, not the NBA HoF, and people are evaluated based on the totality of what they did in the sport. There are players in there now who have nothing close to Carmelo's resume. Do you want to make a case that small forwards like Chet Walker and Bill Bradley belong, but Carmelo does not?

What the hell are you talking about?

Melo is clearly a lock for HOF. Who said he wasnt?

I know what the HOF is.

What the hell are you talking about?

Melo is clearly a lock for HOF. Who said he wasnt?

I know what the HOF is.
It seemed you were implying he had work to do to get there and needed to win a title. Sorry if I misread what you were saying.

It seemed you were implying he had work to do to get there. Sorry if I misread what you were saying.

No taht is not what i meant. Thats why I compared it to KG who was also a lock but who also had a "disappointing" nba career. He needed the title to cement his legacy which is far more important than the HOF.

Melo can finish top 5 in scoring, be in the HOF, but without a title and a change in his 'brand image' he is only going to be remembered fondly by Syracuse fans.

No taht is not what i meant. Thats why I compared it to KG who was also a lock but who also had a "disappointing" nba career. He needed the title to cement his legacy which is far more important than the HOF.

Melo can finish top 5 in scoring, be in the HOF, but without a title and a change in his 'brand image' he is only going to be remembered fondly by Syracuse fans.
His legacy would no doubt be greater with an NBA title, but even without one, he will be remembered fondly by more than just SU fans. I think some people place way too much emphasis on titles when evaluating the careers of players in team sports.

His legacy would no doubt be greater with an NBA title, but even without one, he will be remembered fondly by more than just SU fans. I think some people place way too much emphasis on titles when evaluating the careers of players in team sports.

where do you live?

As long as it isn't upstate NY, ask some people (who dont know you are a melo fan) what they think of melos career.

For a superstar, he has a terrible brand image. No one thinks he is as good as his stats show.

a great talent (su's best) but i think he's made some bad choices. he's made a lot of money. but he got no rings. only year at SU may be his career highlight.

where do you live?

As long as it isn't upstate NY, ask some people (who dont know you are a melo fan) what they think of melos career.

For a superstar, he has a terrible brand image. No one thinks he is as good as his stats show.
If his reputation and image is as bad as you say, why would an NBA title change his legacy?

If his reputation and image is as bad as you say, why would an NBA title change his legacy?

his image is bad because:

coach killer
only chases money
not a winner
volume shooter
ball stopper
no defense
no hustle

Not saying any of those are true or not. But thats the thing with brand image. None of it needs to be true. Perception is reality. And a title changes all of that fast.

his image is bad because:

coach killer
only chases money
not a winner
volume shooter
ball stopper
no defense
no hustle

Not saying any of those are true or not. But thats the thing with brand image. None of it needs to be true. Perception is reality. And a title changes all of that fast.

Him being a coach killer is just insane. He didn't have issues with JB and he hasn't had issues with Fisher. What player has ever wanted to play for George Karl? At some point people have to look at him as being the reason nobody wants to play at the places he coaches. This has been going on since the Seattle days.

Got his E/W CF mixed up. But this is what Melo will have to deal with.

I havent looked it up, but this is what "fans" think of Melo.