Carmelo officially retiring! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo officially retiring!

A great career - He put us on his back! And what gets lost in his NBA career is how bad Denver was the season before he came to the team. He never missed the playoffs with them and took them to the conference finals.

You look at Denver today and the best shot they have ever had to win a title. Had the Pistons not screwed up- Melo probably has multiple rings. Instead you have a Nuggets franchise that is something it never would have been had they not landed Melo and began their longest period of being a force in the West.

The man who did so much for our fan base and community and school. He will be more involved with cuse than ever before. His relationship with the coaches is better than any former player. I expect him to get this Jordan deal done, expect him to continue to help get kids and expect Kiyan to be orange. Next few years will be exciting with Melo, trust me

And I remember when they talked about that on The Sports Reporters (which I watched religiously), all they could mention was the 0 assists. Never mind that he shot a great percentage, the rest of the team didn't shoot nearly as well, and THEY WON THE GAME.
He scored 50 against Miami, and all his points off field goals were off jumpers, lol. One of the most skilled scorers in b-ball history.

Last edited:
Had the Pistons not screwed up- Melo probably has multiple rings.
So true. Hard to imagine them not winning at least another 1 (or 2) in that 2004-2008 stretch.

Aside from all of his hoops accomplishments, it was so great to see Carmelo progress from the "stop snitching" guy to an elder statesman of the game who has done tremendous things to support SU.

Plus he may be the greatest U.S. Olympic player of all time.

I remember watching him and GMac against Memphis, and thinking “damn, these two freshman have serious swagger…we might be on to something here”. Little did I know what was in store.

I’ve never been more excited after an SU loss than after that game.
Agree! I left the Garden that night thinking we may have something special here.

I remember standing behind the basket before our first exhibition in the 2003 season watching him warm up. From a distance, he looked like a full-grown man but up close facially he looked like he was 14. I'm just like "whoa this dude isn't missing a single shot."
One of my best friends went to midnight madness that year and I caught up with him after and he says that kid Carmelo Anthony is good, really really good. I go yeah? Like good good?
The Office Reaction GIF

So true. Hard to imagine them not winning at least another 1 (or 2) in that 2004-2008 stretch.

Aside from all of his hoops accomplishments, it was so great to see Carmelo progress from the "stop snitching" guy to an elder statesman of the game who has done tremendous things to support SU.

Plus he may be the greatest U.S. Olympic player of all time.
Careful. A buddy is a big detroit fan and if they draft melo they don’t get Rasheed and don’t win in 04. Bottom line though hard to imagine they don’t still have success with melo over darko.

I was also told Darko would have been an all star if denver drafted him and not detroit.

Man I so wish he had signed with the Knicks as a free agent vs forcing that trade where the Knicks had to give up so much to get him. Dolan would have probably have messed it up regardless.
Forcing it was Lala putting the battery in his back to jumpstart her acting career. He was originally supposed to be a member of the Heat Big 3, but how he handled contracts in Denver messed those plans up.

Congrats to Melo. Helped lead us to a natty, brought Denver out of the post-Mutombo dark ages, a 10x all-star, scoring champ, 3x gold medalist (and in the convo for best all-time USMNT player), the Melo Center and many philanthropic/social contributions. Wasn't always the easiest teammate but today is for celebrating his career.

Much love to Melo who gave us the single greatest season in Syracuse basketball history. I still remember being at his first game in MSG against Memphis and thinking wow this guy is good. It goes by too fast. You'll always be Orange.

Forcing it was Lala putting the battery in his back to jumpstart her acting career. He was originally supposed to be a member of the Heat Big 3, but how he handled contracts in Denver messed those plans up.
Interesting, I'm not sure there were enough shots to go around for Wade, LeBron and Melo... Also LeBron and Melo's games were way to similar back then. Bosh was the perfect complementary player to LeBron and d-wade.

It's too bad Stoudamire's knee gave out... and they could never get a good point guard beyond Felton. But then again a lot of that is on Melo forcing his way to NYC was waiting 3 freaking months. Oh well... regardless he had a great career, has his health and happiness and is set for life. Can't ask for more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom