Carrier Dome Articles | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Carrier Dome Articles

Like I said before, missed opportunity. New facility, could have gotten football, hoops, lax, soccer, hockey all under one roof, plus parking and easy access.

The University delivered a plan based upon what people favored in their surveys. If you don't agree with the plan, chances are you are in the minority.

Can't they play football, hoops, lax, soccer, all under one roof in the updated dome? I hardly think they need to make major renovations for (W) hockey.

Hockey doesn't easily fit into the equation. Assuming that the base layer has to be the Field Turf, where do you put the permanent infrastructure for a rink? They set up a temp rink in the Dome for a Crunch game last year ... it took almost a week to construct.

You can put a basketball court on top of the Field Turf in a matter of hours. You'd never be able to play Hockey on a Friday night and have the Dome ready for Football or LAX on Saturday.

Hockey doesn't easily fit into the equation. Assuming that the base layer has to be the Field Turf, where do you put the permanent infrastructure for a rink? They set up a temp rink in the Dome for a Crunch game last year ... it took almost a week to construct.

You can put a basketball court on top of the Field Turf in a matter of hours. You'd never be able to play Hockey on a Friday night and have the Dome ready for Football or LAX on Saturday.
Sorry...I worded it it awkwardly. You and I agree. What I meant was that the expense is not worth the investment.

No, you can't do that in the dome, because the Dome is old technology. And nothing they are doing changes that.

They made a reasonable decision to change the roof and make some limited updates to the facility. That's cool, in particular since the school for the most part is going to self finance. It's their facility, their money, they can do what they want.

Doesn't mean they missed the chance to partner up on a game changing venue.

No, you can't do that in the dome, because the Dome is old technology. And nothing they are doing changes that.

Spending a lot of money to put in a rink that is rarely used and not needed and requires a lot of maintenance does not make sense even if it was a new building.

Spending a lot of money to put in a rink that is rarely used and not needed and requires a lot of maintenance does not make sense even if it was a new building.

It would get plenty of use if the tenants in the War Memorial were users as well.

The concept is a configurable facility that provides full field and arena set ups. Just extends the concept of operations that Dome has now with modern technology. Staples Center on steroids.

Couple of places in Europe for that also have retractable roofs. Plenty of links to those places on this board.

It would get plenty of use if the tenants in the War Memorial were users as well.

The concept is a configurable facility that provides full field and arena set ups. Just extends the concept of operations that Dome has now with modern technology. Staples Center on steroids.

Couple of places in Europe for that also have retractable roofs. Plenty of links to those places on this board.
Ok...but you are talking about a new non-SU-owned facility. SU would just be a tenant. Anything else would be out of reach for SU's budget and not sure they want a pro hockey team as a tenant of they did own the new place.

Ok...but you are talking about a new non-SU-owned facility. SU would just be a tenant. Anything else would be out of reach for SU's budget and not sure they want a pro hockey team as a tenant of they did own the new place.
Agree, wouldn't SU want total control over the facility. Don't live locally nor follow hockey but how often do SU hoops and Crunch hockey play at the same time? Scheduling would be a pain, wouldn't it?

jr4750 said:
Agree, wouldn't SU want total control over the facility. Don't live locally nor follow hockey but how often do SU hoops and Crunch hockey play at the same time? Scheduling would be a pain, wouldn't it?

Sharing a building with hockey and basketball alone would be nutso.

GoSU96 said:
What an alien concept, that's just crazy! What planet do you live on?

Wasn't thinking, man. (Hangs head in shame)

They made a reasonable decision to change the roof and make some limited updates to the facility. That's cool, in particular since the school for the most part is going to self finance. It's their facility, their money, they can do what they want.

Are they really talking about a rink?

I have built a few and made the skids to run them.

They take anywhere from 12 to 15 miles of pipe every 4" depending if they are NHL,Olympic or standard size. You can use plastic,stainless or carbon pipe depending on how much you want to spend. They can use sand as a base or concrete as a base and if they do use concrete(only way here) it would not take all that long to make ice if they pull up the field turf. Laying all the pipe was the hardest thing to do my trade as every freaking foot of that pipe was below your heels. It took weeks to put it all down and your back was shot every day

I worked for this guy when he owned CW Davis mechanical and is a local company who known as the best in the business and his kid played Lax at Syracuse around 15-18 years ago. One of the best guys to ever work for.I can remember hearing Scotty Bowmn on line 1 all the time at the fab shop,plus a few other coaches calling about rink conditions.

http://www.icebuilders.com

The jobs listed in his resume of work were only the ones he's done since he sold CW Davis.

There are a few others around Syracuse who learned their trade from and now own their own business.....http://eisrinks.com/EIS-Resume_2011.pdf

Last edited:
Are they really talking about a rink?

I have built a few and made the skids to run them.

They take anywhere from 12 to 15 miles of pipe every 4" depending if they are NHL,Olympic or standard size. You can use plastic,stainless or carbon pipe depending on how much you want to spend. They can use sand as a base or concrete as a base and if they do use concrete(only way here) it would not take all that long to make ice if they pull up the field turf. Laying all the pipe was the hardest thing to do my trade as every freaking foot of that pipe was below your heels. It took weeks to put it all down and your back was shot every day

I worked for this guy when he owned CW Davis mechanical and is a local company who known as the best in the business and his kid played Lax at Syracuse around 15-18 years ago. One of the best guys to ever work for.I can remember hearing Scotty Bowmn on line 1 all the time at the fab shop,plus a few other coaches calling about rink conditions.

http://www.icebuilders.com

The jobs listed in his resume of work were only the ones he's done since he sold CW Davis.

There are a few others around Syracuse who learned their trade from and now own their own business...http://eisrinks.com/EIS-Resume_2011.pdf

The rink was just speculation.

I'm curious though. Is it even possible to build a rink into the concrete and install Field Turf over it?

I was always under the impression that Field Turf was permanent, which is why we can no longer roll up the turf for basketball or indoor track.

I'm curious though. Is it even possible to build a rink into the concrete and install Field Turf over it?

I was always under the impression that Field Turf was permanent, which is why we can no longer roll up the turf for basketball or indoor track.
Don't about field turf,but if there is a will there might be a way to do it.

I have been lots of things about dome renos. and the rink was a new one and it being my trade I was stunned.

Probably just rumors then....:noidea:

I'm not talking about the current dome.

For a viable hockey setup you need to have the pipes under the concrete, so unless you can roll back the field turf, it's impossible without a portable system, which would take a long time to set up.

With the new brickless IPF, I'd rip out the field turf and turn Manley into a hockey arena. Though Tennity was built with the ability to expand to 1,500 seats, which is the NCAA D-1 minimum. Add men's hockey, build up the program in there the first few years like Niagara, and turn Manley into a 5,000 seat arena. Welcome to Hockey East, who I know will have us if we were ready.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom