Carrier Dome naming rights article | Syracusefan.com

Carrier Dome naming rights article

bevosu

Hall of Fame
a mistake..

The deal was announced in 1979 with a news conference attended by former Syracuse Chancellor Melvin Eggers and former Carrier CEO Mel Holm, then a member of the Syracuse Board of Trustees.

At the time, the deal was met with dismay from a number of Syracuse students, who wanted the dome to be named after Heisman Trophy winner Ernie Davis, who died six years earlier from leukemia. The students criticized the university for selling out to corporate interests.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesport..._correct_1_million_mis.html#incart_river_home

sutomcat said:
How can you covering SU football for years and not know when Ernie Davis died? I hope for his sake that Chris didn't attend Syracuse...

Don't you remember that great 10-year run Ernie had with the Browns?

How can you covering SU football for years and not know when Ernie Davis died?

I hope for his sake that Chris didn't attend Syracuse...
Carlson is class of 2004. Def had some classes with him.

How can you covering SU football for years and not know when Ernie Davis died?

I hope for his sake that Chris didn't attend Syracuse...

Thats pretty bad.

I assume that was a typo and that he meant to say sixteen. I would hope so for his sake, if he thinks Ernie died in 1973, well, then I just can't help the man.

I'm sure it is a typo. More interesting would be the discussion of the naming of the building. If SU tries to play hardball with Carrier, do they cut their nose off to spite their face? Getting $2M a year from Spacely Sprockets in naming rights could cost them millions more that Carrier gives (assuming their $21M figure is legit and is on-going since Carrier doesn't have a big presence in the region anymore). Or if that $21M is over 40 years then it only costs them $500k per year so it would be worth changing the name. It also makes me wonder if this issue could force more improvements to the dome to get the renovations over some threshold that would allow re competing the naming rights.

The bldg should have been sponsored by Con-Edison

Aka, the Con Dome

Couldn't we see it named "The Carrier Dome at Wegman's Center" or whatever and skirt the Carrier issue?

a mistake..

The deal was announced in 1979 with a news conference attended by former Syracuse Chancellor Melvin Eggers and former Carrier CEO Mel Holm, then a member of the Syracuse Board of Trustees.

At the time, the deal was met with dismay from a number of Syracuse students, who wanted the dome to be named after Heisman Trophy winner Ernie Davis, who died six years earlier from leukemia. The students criticized the university for selling out to corporate interests.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesport..._correct_1_million_mis.html#incart_river_home

Amazing how smart academia is after they know how a pioneering innovation works out down the road. The naming rights for the Carrier Dome was unprecedented and helped get the job done. It deserved more credit.

The facility on the Hill will not be named the Carrier Dome by 2020. It's game over for the Carrier brand and discussions with UTC on this were had in 2012-13 in a significant manner. The new (enough) facility will get a different name...and without know what it is, we will all hate it because we hate change.

The facility on the Hill will not be named the Carrier Dome by 2020. It's game over for the Carrier brand and discussions with UTC on this were had in 2012-13 in a significant manner. The new (enough) facility will get a different name...and without know what it is, we will all hate it because we hate change.
Not entirely accurate.

djorange1989 said:
I assume that was a typo and that he meant to say sixteen. I would hope so for his sake, if he thinks Ernie died in 1973, well, then I just can't help the man.
That doesn't speak well for the sub-standard. Isn't there an editor to catch stupid mistakes?

Amazing how smart academia is after they know how a pioneering innovation works out down the road. The naming rights for the Carrier Dome was unprecedented and helped get the job done. It deserved more credit.

I've never been a fan of calling It the Carrier Dome. New name could be better.

Nah. I think we'll get over it.

Last edited:
The bldg should have been sponsored by Con-Edison

Aka, the Con Dome

Actually when I was a student in the '80's the rumor was that the Kahn paper company was going to be the main benefactor for the stadium but when the powers that be realized that the name would be the 'Kahn Dome' they went with Carrier.

Actually when I was a student in the '80's the rumor was that the Kahn paper company was going to be the main benefactor for the stadium but when the powers that be realized that the name would be the 'Kahn Dome' they went with Carrier.
Were we were considering changing from Orangemen to Trojans? Trojans playing in the Condom.

Lets just place this outside one of the gates to the new Wegmans Stadium and call it a day.
th