Carter-Williams | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Carter-Williams

I don't recall making up fantasies that it wasn't him, and even if one assumed it was him, the facts about the situation certainly weren't clear at the time (and still aren't entirely clear). I really don't understand your anger or what you're trying to accomplish here.

No anger. One of the moderators on this board called a woman simply telling what she saw a "mall rat.". That is fact. I find it a sad state of humanity to call someone that for telling what appears the truth and not backing away from the comment. You are very free to have your own opinion.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Definition of "mallrat" via Urban Dictionary:

A mallrat is a person who spends a long time in a mall (or 'shopping centre' for the British). Especially if the primary intention is not actually shopping. This tends to be young teenagers/preteens, mooching in groups/cliques. Retired people sometimes do this too (in a different way) since they have nothing else to do. Equivalents of this exist for the high street (streetrats?), the park and other places where people 'hang'. This behaviour is caused by:
1. A lack of other things to do in a boring town.
2. A lack of funds, preventing actual activity (like films), but a wide and active social circle.
3. A broken or otherwise annoying home that must be escaped from.
4. School holidays devoid of actual vacationing/activity/homework, creating a sudden excess of free time.
5. Apathy; a lack of motivation, education, employment, a need for distraction in these circumstances.
6. Simply the desire to meet friends in a convenient place.

Also defined as:

One who goes to a mall with no shopping agenda
Mallrats usually know everything that's going around in the mall (I,e: when the Easter bunny stand comes up) and knows about everything about the mall (what stores going where how long a store has been there and what store was there before that store)

So basically, CTO is saying this is someone who hangs out at the mall. The nerve!

I think L&T charging $500 hush money is a crime in itself. They should at least donate ALL the money to a charity, especially since this fine is 100% pure profit.
Yes..anytime businesses make a profit they should donate all of it to charity.

I mean seriously... They have expenses to cover such as:
Stolen merch not caught
Paying for security cameras and guards

Very common practice in retail, and the "income" does not even put a dent in those expenses

They didn't actually give product & spend any resources to earn the $500, so how can it be considered an honest profit?

I realize Michael committed a crime, but he paid his $500 debt to society for his crime. L&T is basically getting $500 free & clear for catching him. They didn't lose any of the merch, & made money. Anywhere else, that would be considered theft.

Anyone that knows me here realizes that I am pro-business, but even I know a con when I see one...

I mean seriously... They have expenses to cover such as:
Stolen merch not caught
Paying for security cameras and guards

Very common practice in retail, and the "income" does not even put a dent in those expenses

The merch in this case was recovered, so the store can't claim it as lost. Those expenses for security are part of the cost of doing business, & if the guards are doing their jobs, they shouldn't have losses that exceed the coverage.

They didn't actually give product & spend any resources to earn the $500, so how can it be considered an honest profit?

I realize Michael committed a crime, but he paid his $500 debt to society for his crime. L&T is basically getting $500 free & clear for catching him. They didn't lose any of the merch, & made money. Anywhere else, that would be considered theft.

Anyone that knows me here realizes that I am pro-business, but even I know a con when I see one...
I hate when the cops catch me speeding and get a couple hundred bucks free and clear. Stinking thieves.

Trying to steal and getting caught and then NOT being punished (like, you know, via fine) will never dissuade someone from trying again. After all, if they don't make you pay (in this case literally) for your actions, how will you ever learn that you probably shouldn't do it?

MCW was free not to pay and take his chances in the courts. How much would that have cost him? Seems like they offered him a bargain of Black Friday magnitude.

I guess leading the country in assists wasn't enough for him. A lapse in judgement sounds like to me. To me the punishment was already carried out at the mall. I don't see how the university gets involved to do anything. If her wasn't charged with anything then not much you can do. I do find it interesting that Boeheim was out of town. Sometimes young kids try to see what they can get away with when their "parental figures" are out of town. :>

lapse in judgement my ass. this is the first time he was caught. its just like when spouses are caught cheating. they claim it was a one time thing..and they are very sorry..only its usually the 6th skank of the month and they just got caught now.

also, the story seems far fetched. how do you handcuff someone to an escalator? and if some non police person were trying to hand cuff me, id sue them for assault no matter what i did

Definition of "mallrat" via Urban Dictionary:

A mallrat is a person who spends a long time in a mall (or 'shopping centre' for the British). Especially if the primary intention is not actually shopping. This tends to be young teenagers/preteens, mooching in groups/cliques. Retired people sometimes do this too (in a different way) since they have nothing else to do. Equivalents of this exist for the high street (streetrats?), the park and other places where people 'hang'. This behaviour is caused by:
1. A lack of other things to do in a boring town.
2. A lack of funds, preventing actual activity (like films), but a wide and active social circle.
3. A broken or otherwise annoying home that must be escaped from.
4. School holidays devoid of actual vacationing/activity/homework, creating a sudden excess of free time.
5. Apathy; a lack of motivation, education, employment, a need for distraction in these circumstances.
6. Simply the desire to meet friends in a convenient place.

Also defined as:

One who goes to a mall with no shopping agenda
Mallrats usually know everything that's going around in the mall (I,e: when the Easter bunny stand comes up) and knows about everything about the mall (what stores going where how long a store has been there and what store was there before that store)

So basically, CTO is saying this is someone who hangs out at the mall. The nerve![/quot

Listen, i like most of your posts, but if you want to defend the undefendable actions of a woman who was pr at a major corp attacking a person for telling the truth, feel free. I have a right to say she was out of line and i hindsight looks like a complete ass for even thinking about treating that way. My only point in all of this is some of the moderators on this board are absurdly hypocritical. CTO indisputably attacked a woman for no reason to help MCW not look like the thief he is. Dispute that all you want.

At least it was a robe and not a laptop
Why assume that it was a first offense? Perhaps a laptop at some time? I doubt that this is a newly acquired hobby. That would make no sense given his public status. No way. This is most likely an old habit.

Just as disturbing is his characterization as a 'misunderstanding'. He should have fessed up. Afterall, he signed a statement of acknowledgement. This will cost him alot more than the $500 fine that he paid.

Why can't we impress on these kids that they have a responsibiity that other students do not have?

But if MCW tells Boeheim that it was a misunderstanding, what is Boeheim supposed to do? It's not like there's any real evidence against him. It's he-said he-said. JB has to back his kid.
Duh - he signed a confession.

You are pro-business the way Obama is pro-business. If you ever owned a business you might not be so charitable towards inventory shrinkage. It is theft on a massive scale. The $500 is a pittance compared to the loss from theft. Get real dude.
Furthermore, and just because I enjoy busting liberal chops, I betthat 100% of all shoplifting is done by Democrats and fellow travelers that feel entitled. Shoplifting is not a crime committed by someone that appreciates individual responsibility and capitalism. You support business - LOL.

Ban me. It was a scumbag thing to do to call some woman telling the truth of what she saw a rat.

You should watch this movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113749/

tt0113749

This.

And the view from atop that horse of his must be quite lovely.

Also, I find this movie to be highly offensive:

215px-Mallrats.jpg

Yea, what he said.

Now when I call that Coach K Ratface I am using it as an insult.

If you think "mall rat" is an insult, then I can see why someone might think CTO was out of line. But it isn't, and she wasn't.

And if you don't know she's a force for good on this board, then either you're very new, or very not paying attention.

Or she called her a mallrat. Which isn't insulting to anybody other than yourself.

IMO, JB doesn't need to reprimand/suspend MCW for MCW's good. He needs to do it for JB's good.

As someone has suggested, if the reports are true, he has a signed confession. Major media outlets are reporting details which, again if true, are inconsistent with the notion of a misunderstanding.

With his "hands are tied" stance, JB risks being viewed as an enabler and someone who is willing to be lied to. At the very least, he should make an effort to corroborate/refute what the national media is saying.

Listen, i like most of your posts, but if you want to defend the undefendable actions of a woman who was pr at a major corp attacking a person for telling the truth, feel free.
I wish I knew going in that facts and the meaning of words don't matter to you. Would have saved me some time I spent reading your posts.

Ban me. It was a scumbag thing to do to call some woman telling the truth of what she saw a rat.

Oh please. Get over yourself. It's an internet board. And oh, by the way, 'mall rat' in in the common vernacular. Google it sometime. It's doesn't really mean 'rat'. Most people wouldn't need to be told this.

Well, when I was in the Marine Corps, there were Marines caught shoplifting at the exchange, and they would be in about that age range. When I was a Marine JAG, I prosecuted two of them in a court-martial because they refused non-judicial punisment.

If JB wants to sit MCW for embarrassing the program, that's his call. If he decides not to, or disciplines him in a way we don 't see (like running the crap out of him) I'm okay with that too. I just don't look to a bunch of dumb college kids to be the moral example for my kids and don't really think stuff like this degrades my SU degree any, so I'm just not really turning my stomach in knots over this or how JB handles it.
Nice post. JB is a smart & wise man with many sources of good advice. He's got the MCW situation without my input. People make mistakes, even talented ones with a storybook future. I hope he learns from this how fragile his blessings can be.