Class of 2023 - CB AJ Harris (AL) Portal from Georgia to PSU | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 CB AJ Harris (AL) Portal from Georgia to PSU

It’s ironic that the position Fran coached has been the most difficult to get in the portal. Been involved, but not getting commits.
This is another recruitment that was extremely quiet, I'm sure we were involved in some capacity but how deeply - who knows.

Sick Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

Dang. Still gonna be hard to beat PSU for recruits unless maybe they are from Jersey.
At least until we have a little history of piling up some wins that is.

Dang. Still gonna be hard to beat PSU for recruits unless maybe they are from Jersey.
At least until we have a little history of piling up some wins that is.
We definitely need to win big this year. Also, our fans have to show up for EVERY game and be loud. We can't get 100k fans into the Dome, but we can be louder than any stadium. We need that gameday experience to sell kids.

I have to say, this one is puzzling for me. Not that he went to PSU [barf], because they obviously recruit well.

But this is a guy directly connected to Fran Brown, surprised we didn't go after him harder / weren't more squarely in contention to land him -- especially given our need at CB.

We definitely need to win big this year. Also, our fans have to show up for EVERY game and be loud. We can't get 100k fans into the Dome, but we can be louder than any stadium. We need that gameday experience to sell kids.
I agree with this. 4 and 5 stars who visit will want to see full stadiums.

I have to say, this one is puzzling for me. Not that he went to PSU [barf], because they obviously recruit well.

But this is a guy directly connected to Fran Brown, surprised we didn't go after him harder / weren't more squarely in contention to land him -- especially given our need at CB.
When you're building/rebuilding something, not everyone is going to buy into that. He may very well have enjoyed playing for Fran but he may also be one of those people that wants to be plugged into something that's already successful.

I see it in business all the time, there are people that would rather stay at a large Corporation than shoot for something higher risk/higher reward like a company rebuild or startup environment. Different strokes for different folks.

Or maybe we just didn't pursue for some other reason. Or maybe he was looking for the highest bidder.

[/QUOT. . I m sure PSU has unlimited NIL money and am sure he is looking for the big bucks.

Perhaps he didn't want to come to Syracuse. 1000s of players choose other destinations every year. Its not really that crazy to think fran gave a call and the guy said "thanks but I'm not interested"

What's puzzling is why people think that suddenly all the 4 and 5 star kids will want to come here. Sure, there's buzz around the program right now but reality is we have stunk for 20 year and draw 1/3 the crowd of some of these programs. I like where we are heading but things won't change overnight.

When you're building/rebuilding something, not everyone is going to buy into that. He may very well have enjoyed playing for Fran but he may also be one of those people that wants to be plugged into something that's already successful.

I see it in business all the time, there are people that would rather stay at a large Corporation than shoot for something higher risk/higher reward like a company rebuild or startup environment. Different strokes for different folks.

Or maybe we just didn't pursue for some other reason. Or maybe he was looking for the highest bidder.
Oh Hush. You're talking sensibly. ;)

True, except he traded down so I assume he just went to the highest bidder.

People job hop all the time just seeking a bigger paycheck. That's as common as breathing.

True, except he traded down so I assume he just went to the highest bidder.

People job hop all the time just seeking a bigger paycheck. That's as common as breathing.
Yeah looking back at this and how quiet it was with him being an early portal entry, I suspect we were out early on.

What's puzzling is why people think that suddenly all the 4 and 5 star kids will want to come here. Sure, there's buzz around the program right now but reality is we have stunk for 20 year and draw 1/3 the crowd of some of these programs. I like where we are heading but things won't change overnight.

What's puzzling about it? The kid PLAYED for Fran Brown, the #1 recruiter in college football.

Recruiting is a two-way street, no argument there. I'm just a bit surprised that we wouldn't have more traction with former Georgia DBs, given Brown's direct connection.

It has nothing to do with "all the 4 and 5 star kids will want to come here." This is a specific kid who played for our new head coach. I'm just surprised that Fran Brown didn't have more "pull" with him. And I also readily acknowledge that maybe Brown didn't think he was good enough, or NIL demands were too high, or any other of a variety of reasons for why this kid ended up at PSU.

But there were a few board insiders who indicated that this kid WAS an SU lean at one point, and it never seemed to materialize. I don't think we even got him on campus, which I do find puzzling, given those early indications.

Last edited:
Somebody introduce this person to FRAN BROWN!!

Do people with inside information know if Syracuse actively recruited this kid? Is it possible that Fran knows him very well and didn’t want him to transfer here ? There are many reasons not to take a player. You’re not going to get every kid even if we did want him

What's puzzling about it? The kid PLAYED for Fran Brown, the #1 recruiter in college football.

Recruiting is a two-way street, no argument there. I'm just a bit surprised that we wouldn't have more traction with former Georgia DBs, given Brown's direct connection.

It has nothing to do with "all the 4 and 5 star kids will want to come here." This is a specific kid who played for our new head coach. I'm just surprised that Fran Brown didn't have more "pull" with him. And I also readily acknowledge that maybe Brown didn't think he was good enough, or NIL demands were too high, or any other of a variety of reasons for why this kid ended up at PSU.

But there were a few board insiders who indicated that this kid WAS an SU lean at one point, and it never seemed to materialize. I don't think we even got him on campus, which I do find puzzling, given those early indications.
I think there are players in the portal from UGA that know and played for HCFB where it was about "home town team", or "highest level of play", (and maybe NIL too) and Coach Brown and his ability to connect was the difference between UGA and, say, 'Bama. There are others who connected with Coach Brown and say "I want to be around, learn from, and follow this man who will mentor me in life". Perhaps AJ Harris is more the former and not the latter.

I might have agreed with you somewhat until we have now seen 4 stars visit and commit and I would guess that would continue. We may get 5 star visits. We just don't know but indications are much higher rated players are looking and will look.

Do people with inside information know if Syracuse actively recruited this kid? Is it possible that Fran knows him very well and didn’t want him to transfer here ? There are many reasons not to take a player. You’re not going to get every kid even if we did want him
I think there were assumptions made (guilty myself) that we would be involved because he's friends with Meeks (HS teammate) and Fran Brown recruited him. But there was never really anything public that specifically linked him to here or visiting here.

I think there were assumptions made (guilty myself) that we would be involved because he's friends with Meeks (HS teammate) and Fran Brown recruited him. But there was never really anything public that specifically linked him to here or visiting here.
And they may be a very good reason that Fran did not pursue either of them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom