CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big 10 TV money doesn't directly affect nli money . However if the school doesn't need boosters to raise money for example new locker rooms because they have extra TV money to pay for them, instead their boosters set up a nil with money they would have donated to the school directly

Yep, they wouldn't be my top choice as an offensive player (except for TE) - but they are a heck of a defensive program. That's the only thing that's kept them competitive the last 2 seasons.
That and playing in the Big Ten West.

Last edited:
The B1G and SEC are now the cream and ACC, PAC-12, Big 12, and G-5 will just be feeder conferences. TV contracts, NIL, and the 12-team playoff will solidify this very situation moving forward.

I actually think most will not leave for NIL, but will leave to have a shot at the playoffs and gain greater TV exposure.

Off topic a little bit but look at the raise Brett B just got at Illinois. He just signed a deal til 2028 at 6m a year. The Big 10 has unlimited money. If Duce ends up at any big 10 school it actually makes sense to me. Their pockets for coaches and players are deeep

Eh - if this was about NFL dreams - he was on his way here. Iowa doesn’t move that needle. It’s a NIL bag. Sad.

Edit: Not sad for Duce - he’s making a choice based on the open market. Sad that the market arbitrarily favors a weird team in a corn field

Off topic a little bit but look at the raise Brett B just got at Illinois. He just signed a deal til 2028 at 6m a year. The Big 10 has unlimited money. If Duce ends up at any big 10 school it actually makes sense to me. Their pockets for coaches and players are deeep
Coaches can continue to make millions of dollars, fine. Does quality of life change that much for a coach who is making $3 million compared to a coach who makes $6 million? You still have to get up in the morning, put on your socks one foot at a time, get to the office early, work all day, recruit, and retire at 75.

If you are satisfied at $3 million, then I just don't see how 6 moves the needle that much. There are only 2 scenarios where I see how it could make much of a difference: 1) Insurance: A head coach loses his position and spreads the extra $3 million/year over the number of years at a new position. 2) You leave the extra money to family/children.

But again, how is $3 million just not enough, no matter where you are? How many yachts are you going to use at retirement? How much floor space do you really want in your house? I think most are just infatuated by the number, and don't consider much else

Coaches can continue to make millions of dollars, fine. Does quality of life change that much for a coach who is making $3 million compared to a coach who makes $6 million? You still have to get up in the morning, put on your socks one foot at a time, get to the office early, work all day, recruit, and retire at 75.

If you are satisfied at $3 million, then I just don't see how 6 moves the needle that much. There are only 2 scenarios where I see how it could make much of a difference: 1) Insurance: A head coach loses his position and spreads the extra $3 million/year over the number of years at a new position. 2) You leave the extra money to family/children.

But again, how is $3 million just not enough, no matter where you are? How many yachts are you going to use at retirement? How much floor space do you really want in your house? I think most are just infatuated by the number, and don't consider much else

Thats a big jump and compound it by 5 years or whatever the contract length is.

Thats a big jump and compound it by 5 years or whatever the contract length is.
I hear you. But--and not to argue, and just to make a point--if I make $15 million in 5 years and you make $30 million in 5 years, and we are both doing the same job, working the same amount of hours, and are going to retire at the same age, how much of a difference does the money really make? I really can't make any use of $3 million/year while I have responsibilities, let alone $6 million/year.

I don't get to enjoy the tangible benefits of millions in the here and now. Maybe I will at retirement. But that's sometime in the future. But are you going to be that much happier than I am at retirement? I still made $3 million/year. I am going to have a very enjoyable retirement and still do most anything I want to do

is it far fetched to think Duce is using the portal to get more NIL money from syracuse. seems like a smart business play

I hear you. But--and not to argue, and just to make a point--if I make $15 million in 5 years and you make $30 million in 5 years, and we are both doing the same job, working the same amount of hours, and are going to retire at the same age, how much of a difference does the money really make? I really can't make any use of $3 million/year while I have responsibilities, let alone $6 million/year.

I don't get to enjoy the tangible benefits of millions in the here and now. Maybe I will at retirement. But that's sometime in the future. But are you going to be that much happier than I am at retirement? I still made $3 million/year. I am going to have a very enjoyable retirement and still do most anything I want to do

I'd argue a lot but I don't think anyone here cares what I think on this :)

I don’t buy all this stuff about “schools“ putting players in the NFL. Players put players in the NFL.
I generally agree with you here. It's more obvious in hoops though. In football when you have 10 other players out there to influence your decisions it sometimes makes it harder to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

I wonder where things stand with Duce at this point. Surprised he has not landed yet.

The longer it goes, the better for SU I would think.

That said, chances of him returning range from 0-3%.

Everyone has different academic calendars. He doesn't have to enroll until the day before.

I don’t buy all this stuff about “schools“ putting players in the NFL. Players put players in the NFL.
Do u coach. A great coach makes all the difference. Coaching effort and all the technique stuff matters trust me. Now if ur talking 5 star guy then maybe ur right.

I would not take him back. He quit on his brothers for life as far as I’m concerned. If you quit, brothers for life would be a joke where I come from

people were happy to allow Wilson to come back. If Duce or Jahad decided to return, SU fans would take them back with open arms and likely be very excited to see them on the field in the fall.

sure some peoples feelings would be hurt, because people largely take a player (or recruit) choosing to go elsewhere as a personal attack on themselves, almost as if the player is saying “you aren’t good enough” to their face, and that causes a lot of hurt feelings. First INT of the season 99.4% of people would forget all about that and be excited he’s still competing for us. Not to mention 4 years later when he’s starting in a MNF game and he says “Duce Chestnut - Syracuse” we’d all be thrilled to have him have stayed

Status
Not open for further replies.