CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff.

I saw a 'behind the scenes' special on the making of Animal House a couple of years ago. It was very interesting and anyone who is a big fan of the movie should check it out. I just googled it and found the link, so if you want more info, check this out:

A few highlights:

The script changed vastly over time. I remember them talking about the huge problems they had finding locations to shoot the movie. They really wanted an Ivy League type campus in the Northeast but everyone turned them down. They stumbled upon Oregon late and lucked out because the chancellor okayed them to film without reading the screenplay. Most of Belushi's best stuff was improvised. The other actors had a hard time working with him because he was so funny.
I have been to all of the locations; the Delta house was only used for exterior shots and was torn down long ago. On the site is now an orthopedic surgeon practice but there is a plaque near the street commemorating the movie. To the left is the frat that was used for the Omega House, and to the right is the sorority that was used for the sorority and all the interior Delta house shots. Today it belongs to another college. I drive by it almost every time I am there.

The cafeteria where they filmed the food fight scene has been renovated a few times but is still recognizable. The Administration bldg, where Dean Wormer's office was, is still the office of the Chancellor. The lecture room where they held the "trial" has been renovated and now is unrecognizable as the same room from the movie. My son taught in that room for a couple of years.

The girl's college from the road trip sequence is actually a building close to the food fight cafeteria. It looks exactly the same when you walk in and see the staircase that Shelly Dubinsky came down to meet Otter.

The house used for the mayor's house is still there, and a bunch of other locations are as well. About the only thing that no longer exists is the original track and field stadium seen when Otter and Boon are driving golf balls. The new track and field stadium is probably the best of its type in the world.

We should claim these as kids we developed. Celebrate their success at LSU and in the NFL. They capitalized on our initial interest and development.

Would this be similar to dating a girl that others only had mild interest in, in HS. She then gets to college and becomes a model her Junior year. Dumps you after a couple years of dating for a D1 athlete who’s also got a super rich family. Would you celebrate her success?

Not “attacking” your post btw. Just thought the analogy was funny as it popped into my head.

When I think about this, it’s really the same thing as the business world. Company A brings someone in at X salary and trains them up.

When they become proficient and develop skills, company B comes in with a better offer and most times the employee moves on. Sometimes they don’t.

It’s no different, it’s just penetrated the college football world.

I’d still say that since the portal was created, we’re definitely on the + side of the pendulum. That doesn’t change the reality that we don’t have the revenue to compete with bigger “companies”.
SU is not a buyer in high end starter market. It will be selective in how they use resources. Why would you want to over spend on a safety? Clark was very good, Simmons is a former starter, and they just brought in a 4star with I think four years of eligibility. They will be okay at corner

P5 football scholarships are a contract for four years. But commitments can be broken by the player at any time.
This is part of the problem. Scholarships are 1 year contracts at almost all schools. How many times has a coaching staff changed and multiple existing roster scholarship athletes do not have those scholarships renewed. Equally, how many times is a player injured and continues to receive said scholarship until he/she/they graduate because 'it's the right thing to do'. Both instances occur frequently but the contract is almost always annual.

Right, wrong, or indifferent - it happens everywhere and is what part of the player equity argument was for having the transfer portal.

IMO, fewer and fewer athletes are selecting the school because it offers the best education opportunity. They are selecting the school that has the coach they want, the exposure they want, and/or the bagman with the most money.

its not really the same thing.

College is where schools strive maintain a competitive balance to make it fair. This NIL removes some of that balance.. Its why the Pros have salary caps to try to keep it somewhat in sync. now if the NIL had team caps that would make it more fair. But that requires a union to give away some player rights.

NIl Is great for some players.. But others have to realize its also removing a bunch of money fro 95% of the other players.

Isn't college more of an allocate your money where you think you are more useful for society/their objective as a whole and not just sports? Some make more cash like Harvard or Yale academically so would that be more fair them to have a cap for a balance?

I get what you're saying and I can see your point but this whole thing is now basically showing what's been going on more into the open.

This is part of the problem. Scholarships are 1 year contracts at almost all schools. How many times has a coaching staff changed and multiple existing roster scholarship athletes do not have those scholarships renewed. Equally, how many times is a player injured and continues to receive said scholarship until he/she/they graduate because 'it's the right thing to do'. Both instances occur frequently but the contract is almost always annual.

Right, wrong, or indifferent - it happens everywhere and is what part of the player equity argument was for having the transfer portal.

IMO, fewer and fewer athletes are selecting the school because it offers the best education opportunity. They are selecting the school that has the coach they want, the exposure they want, and/or the bagman with the most money.

Now one question I have is that SU is giving scholarships to previously injured players in hope they regain their potential.

Doesn't SU get "stuck" giving out a scholarship for X amount of years until that player leaves? With the limit of 85 that could be a problem that football factories can possibly dismiss.

Isn't college more of an allocate your money where you think you are more useful for society/their objective as a whole and not just sports? Some make more cash like Harvard or Yale academically so would that be more fair them to have a cap for a balance?

I get what you're saying and I can see your point but this whole thing is now basically showing what's been going on more into the open.
its more than that. The shady people were always around in the back ground.. But now you add in the people with money who can do it legally and are doing so..

Now one question I have is that SU is giving scholarships to previously injured players in hope they regain their potential.

Doesn't SU get "stuck" giving out a scholarship for X amount of years until that player leaves? With the limit of 85 that could be a problem that football factories can possibly dismiss.
I believe if a player is medically DQ’d and Syracuse chooses to honor their scholarship it does not count against the 85

I agree, and fans will live with it or they won’t. And I don’t necessarily agree with the second statement, that might be true in some industries but definitely not all. Big fish eat small fish, and that doesn’t necessarily mean your absorbed if your the small fish. You just have to keep developing talent and stay in the shallow end.
I guess the question then is will we be the small fish in the shallow end, and, if we are, will we be ok with that?

This is a curious choice. If he wanted to showcase himself as a lockdown corner for next year’s draft (which is where the big NFL money is, not for nickels or even safeties) staying at SU was arguably a better choice. CBS listed the talent LSU has at cb and it’s really deep; there’s a decent chance he may not be starting by mid year.
I agree - and based off last year I think he may have his hands full every week with some SEC receivers. He better be ready.

its more than that. The shady people were always around in the back ground.. But now you add in the people with money who can do it legally and are doing so..

Upperdeck I believe it's done in every aspect of life and University/college as well.

Lifes lessons are being taught and I get it, I really do but agents and headhunters are and have always been part of this equation, like it or not and some are incredibly shady as well as you wrote.

There are players that transfer to SU from "smaller" conferences that started so isn't it a bit hypercritical to be angry that one of SU's goes to an elite football school? We all do it in our jobs as well.
It's hypocritical if we view ourselves as a small school. Since we're in a P5 conference are we not supposed to view ourselves as on the same level? Are we supposed to be to LSU and OSU what G5 schools are to us?

I believe if a player is medically DQ’d and Syracuse chooses to honor their scholarship it does not count against the 85

Thanks JKiP. I wasn't sure and that makes some gambles better but could also lead to a guy being cut as well.

It's hypocritical if we view ourselves as a small school. Since we're in a P5 conference are we not supposed to view ourselves as on the same level? Are we supposed to be to LSU and OSU what G5 schools are to us?

I suppose it depends on SU and their objective mission on what they view themselves.

I think that if an injured player is declared medically dq'd they don't count against the 85 but can keep the scholarship. Am I remembering that correctly?

Good stuff.

I saw a 'behind the scenes' special on the making of Animal House a couple of years ago. It was very interesting and anyone who is a big fan of the movie should check it out. I just googled it and found the link, so if you want more info, check this out:

A few highlights:

The script changed vastly over time. I remember them talking about the huge problems they had finding locations to shoot the movie. They really wanted an Ivy League type campus in the Northeast but everyone turned them down. They stumbled upon Oregon late and lucked out because the chancellor okayed them to film without reading the screenplay. Most of Belushi's best stuff was improvised. The other actors had a hard time working with him because he was so funny.

The underage girl that Pinto hooked up with on the football field ended up being the girl Danny Noonan hooked up with in Caddyshack.

I suppose it depends on SU and their objective mission on what they view themselves.
I would say it also depends on how the fans choose to view things. Regardless of what SU wants, it's a fan driven business. That why TV contracts are huge and stadiums are built/renovated.

I would say it also depends on how the fans choose to view things. Regardless of what SU wants, it's a fan driven business. That why TV contracts are huge and stadiums are built/renovated.

Agreed...And the more fans the bigger the business. SU draws 35k or so LSU and OSU a heck of a lot more.

There are players that transfer to SU from "smaller" conferences that started so isn't it a bit hypercritical to be angry that one of SU's goes to an elite football school? We all do it in our jobs as well.
And they transferred in because Syracuse tampered with and paid them to do it?

I think what people are failing to grasp in some cases is that there has been a fundamental shift here - the power programs have figured out how to exploit the NIL/Open transfer portal system and the NCAA has done and probably will do nothing to stop it. Open recruitment of players on mid P5 and G5 schools will just continue to get worse and what was a system that was already stacked against schools like Syracuse will just get harder and harder to compete for talent in. It will require exceptional scouting, constant attention to the roster and reclamation projects. The part where I get most concerned is that you are probably now putting more expectations on player locating and development on lesser equipped programs than ever before.

I think what people are failing to grasp in some cases is that there has been a fundamental shift here - the power programs have figured out how to exploit the NIL/Open transfer portal system and the NCAA has done and probably will do nothing to stop it. Open recruitment of players on mid P5 and G5 schools will just continue to get worse and what was a system that was already stacked against schools like Syracuse will just get harder and harder to compete for talent in. It will require exceptional scouting, constant attention to the roster and reclamation projects. The part where I get most concerned is that you are probably now putting more expectations on player locating and development on lesser equipped programs than ever before.
"I really think it’s time to start finding something else to do with our collective time."

Why not just start now? Why bother getting upset about a slightly above average DB going to a mid SEC school. If we can't handle that...its time to start another hobby.

Also, Duce lost his DC. I think people keep forgetting that. If my coach left when I was in college playing my sport, I would be gone too
I think the White effect is overblown. His closest realtionship would be his position coach who remains and the program is lead by the head coach who remains. And the new coordinator will absolute continue the same system, so the roles will be the same. If it was the loss of White that spurred these moves wouldn't the transfers be to Nebraska?

I think the White effect is overblown. His closest realtionship would be his position coach who remains and the program is lead by the head coach who remains. And the new coordinator will absolute continue the same system, so the roles will be the same. If it was the loss of White that spurred these moves wouldn't the transfers be to Nebraska?
Maybe these guys were thinking Nebraska then saw there was a market out there for their talent and couldn't pass up the opportunity? Hard to say. Could be strictly money too.

The difference is companies don't have fans that follow them. And the companies that consistently lose talent go out of business or they're absorbed into bigger companies.
Sure they do. They're called customers. This is why brand matters.

Difference is a customer at a company doesn't care who is employed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.