CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve talked with him before.

He has told me he didn’t have to leave

He actually even asked Dino (before he picked LSU) if he could play in the pinstripe bowl
Did it affect his decision though? Was he willing to possibly be suspended or fight it like LeQuint when he had options to leave?

This recruiting class is markedly better than we've had recently, and our transfer class was way better this year. I'll never fully understand the Monroe is the one and only "swag daddy" fanboys. He was fine, and what we have now seems better.
I’m not a fanboy by any stretch. Just asking a question. All the talk of “we identify talent and put it in the league” made me wonder if that will hold now that the guy that had probably the biggest hand in doing just that has also moved on. I think it’s fair, and even strategically prudent to assess the current situation through that lens, and I’m a big believer in the current makeup of the staff.

I’m not a fanboy by any stretch. Just asking a question. All the talk of “we identify talent and put it in the league” made me wonder if that will hold now that the guy that had probably the biggest hand in doing just that has also moved on. I think it’s fair, and even strategically prudent to assess the current situation through that lens, and I’m a big believer in the current makeup of the staff.
I hated that we lost Monroe at the time but honestly, the more I learn about Fisher I think he may actually be an upgrade. The guy can recruit and he’s a technically sound coach as well.

On a slightly different but related matter, lots of folks here are talking about our recent success recruiting and putting DBs in the league. Is anyone concerned that success had a huge “Monroe” stamp on it, and it remains to be seen what we can pull in with him now gone?
I am concerned until it’s proven that the transfers pan out.

I hated that we lost Monroe at the time but honestly, the more I learn about Fisher I think he may actually be an upgrade. The guy can recruit and he’s a technically sound coach as well.
Glad to hear, and I hope you are right!

Wilson was a dog the entire Purdue game except one play where a defender shook him off. I only remember that one play because the boy and I were amazed at how well he played. Tough, gritty kid. I prefer him over Duce after all of the tears in my eyes and LSU being DBU comments.

Duce and Wilson are two very different topics. Wilson is great. Duce would
Still be a great corner for us if he was still here.

You can be upset with the transfer, but the fact is LSU has 11 defensive backs on NFL rosters today, and some very good ones (Peterson, Stingley, T White, Jackson, Fulton, Delpit, etc). I think we have 2 (Williams and Iffy).

Duce wanted to try and be the best against the best. Not working out for him right now. I wish him the best of luck.

You can be upset with the transfer, but the fact is LSU has 11 defensive backs on NFL rosters today, and some very good ones (Peterson, Stingley, T White, Jackson, Fulton, Delpit, etc). I think we have 2 (Williams and Iffy).

Duce wanted to try and be the best against the best. Not working out for him right now. I wish him the best of luck.
I can’t imagine who was whispering into his ear to up his competition.
Because he now looks foolish.
Maybe Baton Rouge is better than Syracuse in December, but … I wouldn’t have left.

I can’t imagine who was whispering into his ear to up his competition.
Because he now looks foolish.
Maybe Baton Rouge is better than Syracuse in December, but … I wouldn’t have left.
There’s a value in diversifying your experience/instruction, for football and life. I don’t begrudge anyone making a move at his age and trying something new. It doesn’t have to be this binary good/bad choice. If he made the most in the situation with us and is doing everything he can at lsu, then good for him and make the most of it. We can’t deny that he’s getting aspects of a football experience that he wouldn’t get here. How that nets into his lifetime value as a player is a very open question that none of us can claim to know. It will round out life experience in a different and useful way, though.

Forgot Cisco but yeah it’s very much a contest in their favor if we’re comparing program production at DB.

There’s a value in diversifying your experience/instruction, for football and life. I don’t begrudge anyone making a move at his age and trying something new. It doesn’t have to be this binary good/bad choice. If he made the most in the situation with us and is doing everything he can at lsu, then good for him and make the most of it. We can’t deny that he’s getting aspects of a football experience that he wouldn’t get here. How that nets into his lifetime value as a player is a very open question that none of us can claim to know. It will round out life experience in a different and useful way, though.
"try something new" or "diversify" in college sports?
This is precisely the problem with the Insta-Portal.
Or society.

Forgot Cisco but yeah it’s very much a contest in their favor if we’re comparing program production at DB.
and Cisco played great vs. KC.
The JAX offense (see: Clemson) minus Kirk was terrible, but the defense played well.

*if Jones or Ridley could have brought in passes in bounds in the end zone, might have been a different game.

"try something new" or "diversify" in college sports?
This is precisely the problem with the Insta-Portal.
Or society.
Really? So people shouldn’t be able to change jobs or where they live? Mobility is the problem with society? Nobody doubts that spending a year studying or living internationally is a positive for your typical student…but we should not interrupt the precious bubble of college sports for your sake, I guess.

You have to play to be drafted whether that’s at LSU, Cuse, or wherever. Can say LSU has put more DBs in the league, yeah, ones who were actually on the football field not the bench.
Not the best argument. Tons of lsu backups have had fantastic careers. Off the top of my head, guys like Alfred blue and spencer ware third and fourth string at lsu. Tyrion-Davis price didn’t play much. Russell gage. Racey mcmath. Jontre kirkland

Really? So people shouldn’t be able to change jobs or where they live? Mobility is the problem with society? Nobody doubts that spending a year studying or living internationally is a positive for your typical student…but we should not interrupt the precious bubble of college sports for your sake, I guess.
Okay let’s have players transfer every year.
Just turn all of college sports into Colorado.

Not the best argument. Tons of lsu backups have had fantastic careers. Off the top of my head, guys like Alfred blue and spencer ware third and fourth string at lsu. Tyrion-Davis price didn’t play much. Russell gage. Racey mcmath. Jontre kirkland
Todd Helton
Even Tom Brady was a backup until jr year. He stuck around - imagine today, he would have transferred 4x.

Don’t know why people get so up and arms about this stuff lol, it’s so small and just takes from your life
It’s the world we live in, so relax and enjoy what you have and not what you don’t have

We are living in a world where either you keep up with it or you get left behind, it’s that simple.
And I’m not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing, I can empathize with people not wanting to proceed with where the word is going
But to be steadily in denial about the fact that things are fast changing and still wanting to live in that past version of history..
There’s a good chance you might miss the good things that are still right in front of you.
Do I wish my grandma was still around to cheer for me on the sidelines?
Yes of course, without a question.
But do I live everyday wishing she was still here… Absolutely not.
Sometimes you have to just take the good with the bad and keep it pushing.
Let the good memories stay forever if you will…

Duce made a decision that he felt was best for him, just like Jahad Carter did, just like Garrett Shrader did….and just like bunch of our other players did and thousands of young people are doing all around the country, in all sports.
These athletes wanted to be treated more like professionals for decades and now that’s reality for them. There’s no point in critiquing and criticizing all these athletes decisions. It’s their life and they get to choose what to do with it and they have to live with the results, just like you do just like I do.
The game has changed. Duce transferred to one of the top universities for football, a place that he had dreams about as a kid.
Can you fault him?
I certainly can’t and anyway his story is still being written and I actually wish him well and hope his dreams become reality. He is a junior and has a senior season left and can still turn pro after that. No ill will and best of luck Duce ✌

I’m focused on enjoying our team and our guys that are trying to bring Cuse football back to the top and am ready to stand with them through thick and thin..

There’s life outside of this

But still represent for Orange !

I think we need to cut Duce a little slack. I’d be willing to bet that nobody regrets his transfer more than him right now. I mean, he went from Dino to Brian Kelly. What could possibly be worse than that.
no roster likes to drop a duce. right doris ?

Maybe he transferred because Devondorf was visiting campus too much

I don’t follow the NFL as closely obviously but I would imagine the list of UDFA now playing in the league compared to those on a field is quite the difference.

I think Duce bet on himself, no problem with that, and it comes with a $$$, but the risks can bite you in the you know where long term and this is starting to the look like that.

I wish him well, and it isn’t that deep, but this ForEvEr oRaNge thing said about transfers. Nah, you left the team I don’t really care anymore.

You have to play to be drafted whether that’s at LSU, Cuse, or wherever. Can say LSU has put more DBs in the league, yeah, ones who were actually on the football field not the bench.
You ever coming down for a game?
We usually see guys from Kingston and Ottawa hanging out

Status
Not open for further replies.