CBI Anyone? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

CBI Anyone?

Yes, we should absolutely accept if they invite us. And if we win it, we should insist that they don't take our team's picture. We don't need something like this being on the internet forever.

1647011464045.jpeg

The NIT is a reach.Teams that win their league but are upset in their tourney an don’t get the auto bid or an at large to NCAA are guaranteed a spot. Last time I checked at least eight are already in with more coming.

Yes, we should absolutely accept if they invite us. And if we win it, we should insist that they don't take our team's picture. We don't need something like this being on the internet forever.

View attachment 215427

Something to think about when it comes to playing in the CBI. Would JB, the team, and the University wanna have the possibility of JB's 1100th win away from the dome and in a 3rd tier tourny(with one win) and his 1000th win (with 2 wins)

Edit: thats some riddle level math right there
There will be no celebration for this 1000 wherever it happens.

I know that its only a few, and far from the majority here, that are claiming we may or should be selected to the NIT. But that notion is beyond absurdity at this point. And it has nothing to do with the "sub 500" precedent.

Could a team from an elite conference build an NIT resume with a sub .500 record. Very possible. But it sure as hell is not a team from a lowly P5 conference like the 2022 ACC-- that has 0 Q1 Wins and has 5 Q3 losses.

Looking at a few NIT Projections out there, here are 2 resumes of teams that appear to be the last in the NIT. Then we have Syracuse at the bottom. Syracuse is not even close to those two.

And the 2 teams below are likely not to make it either as they get busted because of the NIT rule of allowing spots to regular season champions that don't win their conference tournament in a one bid league.

1647013522626.png

1647013595164.png

1647013638160.png

Last edited:
This whole notion that the NIT may or should select us is beyond absurdity at this point. And it has nothing to do with the "sub 500" precedent. And gtanted, I know its only a few that are speculating on it.

Could a team from an elite conference build an NIT resume with a sub .500 record. Very possible. But it sure as hell is not a team from a lowly P5 conference like the 2022 ACC-- that has 0 Q1 Wins and has 5 Q3 losses.
Yes, the NIT ship has sailed. Still our first choice of the options but...about as likely as me dunking again at 62.

Reality: It's is CBI with a chance for a winning season or nothing.

I would rather lose by 30 in the first round of the tournament, than win the NIT. Is that crazy?

Yes, the NIT ship has sailed. Still our first choice of the options but...about as likely as me dunking again at 62.

Reality: It's is CBI with a chance for a winning season or nothing.

I'm with you that I would like the team to go to the CBI.
Unfortunately I think they choose to pass on it for branding reasons.

I do think the new structure of the CBI (being only 5 days in one site) might actually help its brand and encourage more p5 schools to go. But not a major school yet... I think.

I would rather lose by 30 in the first round of the tournament, than win the NIT. Is that crazy?
I think most of us think the same. Reality is winning the CBI would build momentum and keep the streak alive.

I'll meet you at Buc-ees
Hahaha let’s do it. I go there like once a month. I’m probably going to go to the CBI anyways for a day or two. I used to compete in that same center in HS so it will bring back some memories

If we get an invite I say accept it. More basketball is always good. We keep the chance to have a winning season. Buddy gets a chance to go out on a better note. Jim gets to coach his kids a bit more. The fans get to travel to a nice destination in the winter. Gives Cuse fans living in Florida a chance to see the team play live.

This season wasn’t what was expected but may as well make the best of it.

Im all in. Nothing like playing the Minot State Beavers as a way to keep the streak alive

FYI...
CBI 2021 school list Stetson, Coastal Carolina, Bryant, Longwood, Peppermint, Bellermine, Army...with Pepperdine winning.
CBI 2019 school list DePaul, Central Michigan, Longwood, Southern Miss, West Virginia, Grand Canyon, Coastal Carolina, Stoney Brook, Utah Valley, California St Northridge, California Baptist, Loyola Marymount, Brown, UAB, USF...with USF winning it.
Surprising that West Virginia, DePaul (and Pittsburgh a few years ago) played in the CBI. While I'd watch them in any tournament, I really think they'd pass to be in this type of group.

Purely as a matter of self-interest, I'd like to see them go to the CBI if offered.
Put pride aside and play ball because I'd rather see the Orange play than not.
They might have a shot at winning.

Also...notwithstanding the dismal record...SU brings some juice that the tournament would like to have.
A top scorer...a couple of other gunners...the streak...a coach who's been there since dinosaurs ruled the earth...something to prove and the Boeheim family story line.

Purely as a matter of self-interest, I'd like to see them go to the CBI if offered.
Put pride aside and play ball because I'd rather see the Orange play than not.
They might have a shot at winning.

Also...notwithstanding the dismal record...SU brings some juice that the tournament would like to have.
A top scorer...a couple of other gunners...the streak...a coach who's been there since dinosaurs ruled the earth...something to prove and the Boeheim family story line.

If we can go and make our own storyline and steal some press from everybody I am down. Clearly the Boeheim storyline grabs attention as it has all year. Hate the idea of playing in a junior tourney but can live with it for the positive attention.

FYI...
CBI 2021 school list Stetson, Coastal Carolina, Bryant, Longwood, Peppermint, Bellermine, Army...with Pepperdine winning.
CBI 2019 school list DePaul, Central Michigan, Longwood, Southern Miss, West Virginia, Grand Canyon, Coastal Carolina, Stoney Brook, Utah Valley, California St Northridge, California Baptist, Loyola Marymount, Brown, UAB, USF...with USF winning it.
Surprising that West Virginia, DePaul (and Pittsburgh a few years ago) played in the CBI. While I'd watch them in any tournament, I really think they'd pass to be in this type of group.
DePaul and Pittsburgh played in this? Does Judah Mintz know about it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom