CBS Sports: It may be time for the Big Ten, SEC to poach the Big 12 again | Syracusefan.com

CBS Sports: It may be time for the Big Ten, SEC to poach the Big 12 again

44PRIDE

All Conference
It may be time for the Big Ten, SEC to poach the Big 12 again

I know this is all conjecture, but it does make for an interesting read.

If you are of the opinion that 16 team Super-conferences are in the future, then the B12 expansion does nothing but delay the inevitable. They are the weak conference and will be poached.

And if that is the case, then why wouldn't a Kansas/Texas or OK/OKState consider proactively leaving the B12?

If that were to happen, ACC would have no choice but to invite UConn. Ughhh...

I don't think so. I believe you add WVU. Stronger football program, respectable (cough-cough) basketball program with pre-existing rivalries with Pitt BC and SU.

Why would Texas want to go to the B10 over the Pac or ACC. They would instantly be the big dog in both of those conferences, and allow each to command similar money. In the Big they will never have the same clout as OSU/Michigan, which they wouldn't be able to deal with.

I don't think so. I believe you add WVU. Stronger football program, respectable (cough-cough) basketball program with pre-existing rivalries with Pitt BC and SU.

Would they add WVU knowing their academic standing?

Why would Texas want to go to the B10 over the Pac or ACC. They would instantly be the big dog in both of those conferences, and allow each to command similar money. In the Big they will never have the same clout as OSU/Michigan, which they wouldn't be able to deal with.

Big dog in terms of following or football strength? I don't think they'd be a big dog in either conference in regards to the latter.

jr4750 said:

I think the ACC would have a lot to offer Texas and I hope we would make the pitch. A conference that's part Old South and part Northeast corridor would be a better cultural fit than what the B1G and Pac offer.

The bigger question is what would these moves do to Notre Dame? This shift to (4) super-conferences would rewrite the college football playoff rules. It may be the last straw to push ND football into a conference.

Big dog in terms of following or football strength? I don't think they'd be a big dog in either conference in regards to the latter.
Eh, really. I think if Texas came into the ACC, they would have a huge voice. So much so that they were rumored to be offered the ND deal, which almost allowed them to come without full football membership. If they brought their football giant into the conference full time, as well as the audience of the state, for the network, recuiting, etc,. they would be very powerful, imo.

Oklahoma and Kansas to the Big Ten
West Virginia and Oklahoma State to the SEC
Texas, Texas Tech,BYU, UNLV to the PAC-12
No ACC expansion unless ND comes aboard and then one of Cincinnati/Temple/Navy/UConn.

No ACC expansion unless ND comes aboard and then one of Cincinnati/Temple/Navy/UConn.

Why would the SEC want that? Low population states with little cable $ upside, and in the case of OK, the 2nd most popular team there.

Why would the SEC want that? Low population states with little cable $ upside, and in the case of OK, the 2nd most popular team there.
WVU is part of the Pittsburgh TV market and Oklahoma State would bring the SEC into Oklahoma.
They took A&M who is the 2nd banana in Texas. Plus WVU would slide into the. East division and Okie State in the West.

If the SEc determined they wanted to go 16 teams WVU and Okie state would be the best Big XII options. OU and Texas aren't going to the SEC.

An alternative for the SEC would be for them to chase Kansas. The SEC has more than enough TV inventory for football, but have no basketball regulars outside of UK.

That's a helluva add for winter TV ratings

ND fine but the rest is garbage for the ACC. Make a big boy move.