CBS top 25/ Cuse @ 13! | Syracusefan.com

CBS top 25/ Cuse @ 13!

It remains to be seen if what we have seen will be sustainable against the ACC schedule; however, based upon what has been accomplished on the court season to date we clearly deserve to be in the top 15, maybe even in the Top 10 for the time being.

we had moved up to like 18th after the uconn game exactly 1 place ahead of uconn.

After the tex am game we move to 13th exactly 1 place ahead of a&m who is (and was) exactly 1 place ahead of Gonzaga. I see a bit of a pattern.

too early to be concerned about a ranking but 10-20 is about right, I think.

Texas A & M right behind us. Giving respect to both teams.

Don't know what to say about this, except this:
1) The kids really deserve to be ranked: they played hard in the Bahamas ... so yay
2) I agree that we are overranked ... from 0 to 13!! Especially since our play against Elon, etc were not exactly picture perfect.
3) Hmmm... why is UConn still ranked (although they did play an incredible game against both us and Gonzaga ... Sorry have to give the devil its due)
4) Opposite of #1 I would rather not be ranked. I like being the dog. Kids play with a chip on their shoulders.

Rankings are fun for us fans but the most important thing that I keep thinking is that we play ourselves into a decent seed so that we don't have a hellacious second round game in the NCAA's. Of course a three seed would be nice, but I would sign on the dotted line if offered a 4 or 5 seed right now.

Rankings are fun for us fans but the most important thing that I keep thinking is that we play ourselves into a decent seed so that we don't have a hellacious second round game in the NCAA's. Of course a three seed would be nice, but I would sign on the dotted line if offered a 4 or 5 seed right now.
I probably wouldn't
Who is to say we are not in the top 12?

A+M was a not so good matchup for us maybe one of the 5 top 25 teams that we matchup the worst with. we won.

Uconn hit 5 straight threes in the last 4 mintues.

Last edited:
Yeah, I get that and of course, I would rather be a 2 or 3 seed... who wouldn't? I guess a 1 seed. ;)

However, I just tend to think that it's more likely that we end up being a 4-5+ seed than a 2 or 3 which is why I would take that deal if it were magically offered. This is one of those times that I VERY much hope that I'm selling the team a little short. Don't get me wrong, as I said earlier, this is a team that I think can be very dangerous come March but I tend to think we will have some bumps in the road on our journey there.

Not to overhype but I think we all saw the road schedule and thought we are going to lose 8-9 some of us had 14-15 even.

I don't see any reason why 2-7 isn't possible and that being enough for a 3 seed with our road schedule and playing unc twice.

I think UNC will be alot like texas A+M with two tough big guys out there and Paige, I don't look forward to playing duke all that much but they don't look all that strong inside. I just think our chemistry is really really nice our defense might not be as great but it is aggressive and we are capable of going on 15-0 runs very quickly even out of timeouts.

I see us playing 0 games honestly where we look lost and get beat soundly on the court we just have to many multi-dimentional weapons and seniority. UNC on the road is the only one that scares me alittle more then the rest.

We have watched syacuse teams walk through the motions some games. Just a prediction I don't think we will be doing much of that this year, we aren't the typical we will just overpower you and pound it inside laidback mindset that past teams leaned towards. We create shots and make each other better, instead of overconfident lazy pounding for long stretches like we saw against Elon.

Last edited:
Slight difference is that nobody is going to overlook us now. Teams will be prepared for our "3" shooting going forward. I think the surprise factor helped in the Bahamas, not to take away from the great play one little iota. Just saying the cat is out of the bag and now it is known how good we can play.

13th is a little high. I think our starting 5 and Lydon are a top 25 team but I wouldn't put us top 15 yet.

If we sweep Wisconsin/Gtown we will be top 10 going to Pitt on 12-30. I just want a solid NCAA team. Going 23-8 would be great this year.

Slight difference is that nobody is going to overlook us now. Teams will be prepared for our "3" shooting going forward. I think the surprise factor helped in the Bahamas, not to take away from the great play one little iota. Just saying the cat is out of the bag and now it is known how good we can play.

Small Ball works for a reason. You have more skilled players on the court. Bigs tend to have the least skill of any players on the court. If teams gameplan to shut down our threes, we should be able to take it to the basket at will with improved spacing, and with the new rules we should be able to get to the line a ton this year. We may give up some offensive rebounds we don't normally give up, but you more than make up with it on the other end. UConn and aTm had so many problems defending us with their bigs, they went small anyway.

Small Ball works for a reason. You have more skilled players on the court. Bigs tend to have the least skill of any players on the court. If teams gameplan to shut down our threes, we should be able to take it to the basket at will with improved spacing, and with the new rules we should be able to get to the line a ton this year. We may give up some offensive rebounds we don't normally give up, but you more than make up with it on the other end. UConn and aTm had so many problems defending us with their bigs, they went small anyway.
Agreed. Scoring has become harder in college basketball. If we can put 3 shooters and two offensive rebounders Coleman/Roberson or 4 shooters and Roberson we become hard to defend.

I think the zone will get us enough turnovers/stops that the D will be fine but these past 4 years since the 2012 season we have really struggled offensively. We missed that Kris Joseph type option who could dribble drive and get baskets to the hole. Richardson is bringing that and with G/Cooney we have scoring guards.

In college hoops guard play is the most important thing because most skilled big guys are 1 and dones or i the NBA. Not many college bigs can do what Karl Anthony Towns did. There is a reason our 2010 team was special. AO could get us buckets.

Syracuse bigs just need to develop to the level of Rick Jackson and with our talent we will win another NC in the future.