CBSSports.com Up to #61 | Syracusefan.com

CBSSports.com Up to #61

On a ranking topic note (and I don't know why I do this other than for my own personal enjoyment) but at the beginning of each season I assume we are the #1 ranked team in the country. With our three wins to open the season we retained our #1 ranking. Losing to LSU I had us drop to #8, which is what LSU was ranked. This past bye weekend, #3 Ole Miss, #6 ND, and #7 UCLA all lost so we are currently ranked #5. Generally we don't stay ranked too long into the season but I have to do it anyway. Play along if you like!

EDIT: and I am now officially a Starter

Polls are for consumption and amusement. Also to generate clicks. It is product. Even the AP Top 25. Enjoy it for what it is, but don't take it too seriously.

#seeTOLEDO

Shows South Florida at #103. And we are an underdog. Very interesting. Maybe I need to bet this week - assuming ED is playing

Damn, who knew there were so many polls.
I know, something called Vern's poll has us at 30 (thank you Vern!) and the nefarious Director Of Information Poll has us at 88.

Composite of polls and computer rankings has SU at 58.

http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm
Highest ranked non-P5 team? Toledo at #24... next one? Navy at #25!!!

FWIW - There are 8 non-P5 teams (not including Notre Dame and BYU) ahead of Syracuse. All the rest are ACC, SEC, PAC-12, Big 10, and Big 12 teams. They are:

#24 Toledo
#25 Navy
#26 Boise State
#28 Houston
#32 Memphis
#33 Temple
#40 Western Kentucky (HUH?)
#56 East Carolina

Do people really think there is 60 teams better than us in college football right now? I mean cmon.

Objectively this team hasn't accomplished anything more than what it did in a 3-9 season the year before.

Wilson finished the FCS game last year, Long beat Wake more convincingly last year on the road in his first start, Hunt beat CMU on the road by a bigger margin.

The offense is still rated below 100, the defense has been lit up through the air and on the ground.

Are there reasons for hope, absolutely, but it's based mostly on the eye test. On offense they look better, more organized, and they obviously have hit on some plays.

There some areas that are better, but they need to sustain and expand upon that improvement.

I still stand by my opinion that there shouldn't be a single poll until week 4 or 5 of college football. Its absolutely ridiculous.
Committee's poll comes out between weeks 9 and 10.

GoSU96 said:
Objectively this team hasn't accomplished anything more than what it did in a 3-9 season the year before. Wilson finished the FCS game last year, Long beat Wake more convincingly last year on the road in his first start, Hunt beat CMU on the road by a bigger margin. The offense is still rated below 100, the defense has been lit up through the air and on the ground. Are there reasons for hope, absolutely, but it's based mostly on the eye test. On offense they look better, more organized, and they obviously have hit on some plays. There some areas that are better, but they need to sustain and expand upon that improvement.

Wilson barely won vs FCS
Long had less TD passes vs Wake and had two D scores
Hunt beat a lesser CMU squad and wasn't changing QB's mid game

Wilson barely won vs FCS
Long had less TD passes vs Wake and had two D scores
Hunt beat a lesser CMU squad and wasn't changing QB's mid game

And who outside of the SU fanbase knows or cares about all that.

And none of that doesn't change the fact that so far all this team has done is beat the same teams that it beat last year.

Do I think this team is capable of getting six or more, yep, but they haven't done anything that would lead anyone not paying close attention to take notice.

GoSU96 said:
And who outside of the SU fanbase knows or cares about all that. And none of that doesn't change the fact that so far all this team has done is beat the same teams that it beat last year. Do I think this team is capable of getting six or more, yep, but they haven't done anything that would lead anyone not paying close attention to take notice.

If they don't do research on us - they are not sticking with the lesser conference team who has been worse over the last two years. A cursory glance at the stats from this season reveal that we are better in a lot of areas.

If they don't do research on us - they are not sticking with the lesser conference team who has been worse over the last two years. A cursory glance at the stats from this season reveal that we are better in a lot of areas.

Really?

They only significant differences are we have given up 4 less TD's than they have and the TD to Int ratio for SU is 9:3 vs 7:5.

Without looking I'll guess they have had some fumbles that have cost them as well.

But in terms of yardage stats these teams are almost dead even across the board.

Objectively this team hasn't accomplished anything more than what it did in a 3-9 season the year before.

Wilson finished the FCS game last year, Long beat Wake more convincingly last year on the road in his first start, Hunt beat CMU on the road by a bigger margin.

The offense is still rated below 100, the defense has been lit up through the air and on the ground.

Are there reasons for hope, absolutely, but it's based mostly on the eye test. On offense they look better, more organized, and they obviously have hit on some plays.

There some areas that are better, but they need to sustain and expand upon that improvement.

Buzz Killington!

Really?

They only significant differences are we have given up 4 less TD's than they have and the TD to Int ratio for SU is 9:3 vs 7:5.

Without looking I'll guess they have had some fumbles that have cost them as well.

But in terms of yardage stats these teams are almost dead even across the board.

Screenshot%202015-10-05%2016.52.30.png

Our starting QB has played half as much and has just under Flower's stats with a much higher completion percentage and 4 less INT's.

Our best RB has half the carries as their Mack and more TD's, and a better avg per carry (and he's sharing the ball with 2 other guys).

We avg more points per game by 12.

We give up less points per game by 5.

We average about the same yards passing (but 100% of our games had major changes at QB before or during the game).

Also of note for your "average" gambler, casual fan: We are 3-1 and in the P5, they are 1-3 and in the AAC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom