Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Section II has got to be the worse competition and players in the state. I played in it long time ago. I live here. There’s occasionally a diamond in the rough and gem.

Fair enough. I was referring more to the “upstate” part. He did say that section was weak, but then he generalized and said “upstate”.

Put him Downstate where the competition is good on a nightly basis and we'll see what he can do. You guys have this weird infatuation with him because he's in your backyard. Downstate produces major talent year after year. You guys get a generational player and go nuts.

I’m not all in on the kid, but check his EYBL stats. Ball don’t lie.

Sure about that? Playing against future accountants and farmers tells you that. How many of those kids in that Section get legit D1 offers? Not many I bet. Some are lucky to sniff NAIA ball. The competition is inferior upstate and always will be.
Yes. I am sure. There is always an element of doubt. Syracuse evidently offered a farmer. Too bad the coaching staff lacks your keen insight and acumen.

I’m not all in on the kid, but check his EYBL stats. Ball don’t lie.
Ya his ppg dropped big time as expected. But his 3 point percentage is good. No doubt we need him , hope he commits.

Sure about that? Playing against future accountants and farmers tells you that. How many of those kids in that Section get legit D1 offers? Not many I bet. Some are lucky to sniff NAIA ball. The competition is inferior upstate and always will be.

In the last 20 years, out of Section II alone (not including the 3, 4 and 5 kids), you had Fredette (BYU), Chalmers (Xavier) and Thomas (Texas) play in the NBA. You had Lyons (Arizona), Battle (PSU) and Deane (Purdue), making first team all conference. You had players like Rashuan Freeman (UMASS) and Jason McKrieth (Rice) make all conference in solid leagues and then make a living playing oversees. And in the last two years, you had Huerter go to Maryland, Platek to UNC, and Wright to Washington. There are plenty of other kids playing low level D1 and D2 ball. Off the top of my head, i can think of kids at Siena, Albany, Holy Cross, Colgate, Columbia, Yale, Wyoming, Vermont, Cornell, Fairfield, New Hampshire, Buffalo, Ole Miss, Ga Tech, and Monmouth.

Most of these kids came through the City Rocks AAU program. It plays the best AAU programs in the Country.

I still don't know what you consider downstate? Other than Mount Vernon, the best teams in Section II can compete year in-and-out with the best programs (aside from LI Lutheran) outside of the City.

Last edited:
I know a lot of us have seen tape on him many times already but I never watched this one...watch to the end where he's lighting it up during his workout...he will be a elite scorer and hopefully will have a solid all around game to where he isn't a liability on defense. I cant imagine having 2 kids on the same team who shoot the 3 ball like buddy and jg3 do. Curious if we have ever had two 3 point shooters on the same team that would statistically stack up against what their numbers were during EYBL or what they are shooting this season?

About the video. I don't know if he still does, but Girard used to train with Steve Dagastino. Steve's dad is a long time coach in Section II, and Steve has developed a nice-little business for himself training area players. He was a Northeast Conference Player of the Year and a D-2 all-american while at St Rose, and made a living for a while playing ball in Europe.

The kid in black in the video is Joe Cremo. He was first team all American East at Albany last year as a Sophomore. He was probably a high major level recruit (not elite programs), but shut his recruiting down very early. As i type this, he's dropping 27 on New Hampshire, and earlier this season scored 16 at Memphis and 18 at Louisville.

A lot of these kids are a lot like JB when he was 17/18, under recruited but skilled and know how to play. Seems like JB just doesn't want smart skilled players. I know that they don't fit his defensive scheme, Could it be that JB is a self hater, sees himself in these kids? When I was in high school, when Truman was President, it was the real physically ungifted teams that played zone. Times have changed.

A lot of these kids are a lot like JB when he was 17/18, under recruited but skilled and know how to play. Seems like JB just doesn't want smart skilled players. I know that they don't fit his defensive scheme, Could it be that JB is a self hater, sees himself in these kids? When I was in high school, when Truman was President, it was the real physically ungifted teams that played zone. Times have changed.
That NYU scandal must have been something. ;)

In the last 20 years, out of Section II alone (not including the 3, 4 and 5 kids), you had Fredette (BYU), Chalmers (Xavier) and Thomas (Texas) play in the NBA. You had Lyons (Arizona), Battle (PSU) and Deane (Purdue), making first team all conference. You had players like Rashuan Freeman (UMASS) and Jason McKrieth (Rice) make all conference in solid leagues and then make a living playing oversees. And in the last two years, you had Huerter go to Maryland, Platek to UNC, and Wright to Washington. There are plenty of other kids playing low level D1 and D2 ball. Off the top of my head, i can think of kids at Siena, Albany, Holy Cross, Colgate, Columbia, Yale, Wyoming, Vermont, Cornell, Fairfield, New Hampshire, Buffalo, Ole Miss, Ga Tech, and Monmouth.

Most of these kids came through the City Rocks AAU program. It plays the best AAU programs in the Country.

I still don't know what you consider downstate? Other than Mount Vernon, the best teams in Section II can compete year in-and-out with the best programs (aside from LI Lutheran) outside of the City.

Plenty of Mount Vernon kids have run with teams in the city during the Summer. City Rocks is a conglomerate of the best Upstate has to offer. The few good players Upstate has to offer leave the state because there's no competition. Isaiah Stewart being the most recent. CHSAA and PSAL is light years than the crap you see up there. You have no legendary programs that people mention when they think of New York.

Any chance Girard goes to a prep school next year? Brewster in NH like Buddy did, perhaps?

Any chance Girard goes to a prep school next year? Brewster in NH like Buddy did, perhaps?

Not that I’ve heard but there’s really no reason for him to.

Not that I’ve heard but there’s really no reason for him to.

Except for getting to play with and against MUCH better talent for his last year in HS.

Which is something many of our prior guys have done - most recently Tyler Lydon.

Although, if he transfers, I'd imagine any additional scoring he does that year, wouldn't count towards his NYS record?
Is that enough reason (along w/ familiarity, being near family & friends, etc) to stay?

Plenty of Mount Vernon kids have run with teams in the city during the Summer. City Rocks is a conglomerate of the best Upstate has to offer. The few good players Upstate has to offer leave the state because there's no competition. Isaiah Stewart being the most recent. CHSAA and PSAL is light years than the crap you see up there. You have no legendary programs that people mention when they think of New York.

You still haven't defined downstate. If you are talking Section 1, nobody besides Mount Vernon would be consistently better. If you are talking Long Island, other than LI Lutheran, and St. Dominics way back when, no other teams would be consistently better. And for what it's worth, this years starting five on LI Lutheran featured a kid from upstate New York, a kid from NJ, and a kid from some slavic Country. The State has a population of what, 19 million. More than 10 million of that comes from Westchester south. I think upstate is holding its own just fine.

You are right about the kids upstate prepping to face better competition. But that's happening with City kids as well (in addition to those they trek over to NJ to play for the Catholic's there). Also, because the public schools tend to be pretty good academically upstate, you don't get the concentration of players at a given private school the way you do in the City (I suppose this is true for Westchester and Long Island as well though).

Look, I am firmly of the view that Girard should go challenge himself against better competition. Whether that's at a NE Prep, IMG, or even at Albany Academy, which plays an independent schedule. This will prepare him much better for the next level. But it's silly to think given his offers, the level of AAU he plays, and his numbers, he would not be a good/great player at Mount Vernon, Christ the King, LI Lutheran, or wherever.

Except for getting to play with and against MUCH better talent for his last year in HS.

Which is something many of our prior guys have done - most recently Tyler Lydon.

Although, if he transfers, I'd imagine any additional scoring he does that year, wouldn't count towards his NYS record?
Is that enough reason (along w/ familiarity, being near family & friends, etc) to stay?

He’s got and getting P5 offers though so there’s no reason to go prep.

Prep kids are almost always looking for better offers.

and unless as a top player somehow getting a free ride - prep schools are expensive. I do think he'd be wise not to play football next season.

Girard with 50 yesterday, including 17-17 from the FT line as Glens Falls rolled over Scotia, a team they lost to earlier this season
Scotia i believe played Coleman and Cavanaugh in the state championship all those years ago

You would have to think that he wants another shot at the State Football Championships. Especially since he will have already decided on a college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom