Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 56 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys let’s be honest with each other JG3 is the next gmac everyone wants, which is cool and I get it. But right now in the system we have I’d probably take 100 ‘19 kids before him. I’m legit disinterested in him. Let him go to duke and spot up for four years and then be an assistant
100??!

I think the quote was implying that he'd have to sit, and that in this era of college basketball, players don't seem to want to do that. I think we all can agree, that if he is okay with limited playing time that we'd all love to have him in Orange. You don't say no to a shooter like him, but if he wants to play more right away, that opportunity might not be here for him with our crowded backcourt.

They aren't. We have a lot of guards at the in right now though and we are after guys like Lester Quinones as well.

I just don't see where he's going that doesn't have multiple guards on the roster ahead of him. I think we are always so hyperfocused on Syracuse bball that we don't actually look around. Duke will either still have highly rated guys coming back or be brining in multiple 5* types. Michigan had guards playing this year as fresh & sophs plus 2 more coming this fall. I don't think our situation is going to be any more difficult to break into then the other schools considered favorites.

I just don't see where he's going that doesn't have multiple guards on the roster ahead of him. I think we are always so hyperfocused on Syracuse bball that we don't actually look around. Duke will either still have highly rated guys coming back or be brining in multiple 5* types. Michigan had guards playing this year as fresh & sophs plus 2 more coming this fall. I don't think our situation is going to be any more difficult to break into then the other schools considered favorites.
I completely agree with you. He's not a sure fire stud as a freshman, so with his current offer list, he's going to be looking at competition wherever he goes. I think we call can agree that the competition on our roster for guards in 2019 most likely won't be packed with 5 star kids, like Duke's will, so it would make sense for him to consider us.

I look forward to the days when the one and dones are over with, where kids look at schools for coaching, academics, setting, etc, as opposed to where they can play the most right away to showcase themselves and then leave. (Side note...not saying he's a one a done.)

I see Girard as a Gmac type. If Battle, Carey, Howard are all gone who is going to replace them besides Goodine? Girard would start at Syracuse no doubt

Cant imagine any scenario all 3 are gone barring a major injury to Frank that allows Carey a ton of mins at the point.

Cant imagine any scenario all 3 are gone barring a major injury to Frank that allows Carey a ton of mins at the point.
Yeah, if Carey is playing enough to showcase himself to be one a done, we've had some serious injuries, and I'm not so sure a very good win-loss record!

But I can never say never...just out of recent memory, if Marvin Williams and Myles Turner can both go in the lottery playing just over 20 minutes a game as freshman, then I guess anything is possible.

Frank is a Senior, Battle and Carey will probably be gone next year. Hughes may take Battle's spot and Goodine will take Howards although Girard I feel should start right away at shooting guard.

Frank is a Senior, Battle and Carey will probably be gone next year. Hughes may take Battle's spot and Goodine will take Howards although Girard I feel should start right away at shooting guard.

I don't see Girard starting at shooting guard over Buddy who you fail to mention.

Carey is staring at 10mpg come conference time and is not a 5 star mickey d's guy that is already on everyone's mock drafts and top 25 lists. He isn't going anywhere barring a crippling injury to Frank.

Battle is a defacto senior

next season i would see carey and hughes starting in the backcourt w goodine, buddy, and hw off the bench. of course, if we cant recruit a starting caliber forward and hughes has to play up front that could easily change.

Carey is underrated coming out of high school like Lydon was. Think some posters will be (pleasantly) surprised.

next season i would see carey and hughes starting in the backcourt w goodine, buddy, and hw off the bench. of course, if we cant recruit a starting caliber forward and hughes has to play up front that could easily change.

I've been looking forward to this year since before last year even started. Now for the 1st time you've got me thinking about the following year too. Even without accounting for additional 2019 recruits we are looking pretty solid and deep:

PG: Carey/Goodine/Washington
SG: Hughes/Goodine/Buddy
SF: Dolezaj/Hughes
PF: Braswell/Dolezaj
C: Sidibe

Would guess there's a good shot that a 2019 recruit might end up starting at the 4. This also shows why Osun would've been a valuable recruit to lock up though it shouldn't be too big of a deal considering the caliber of bigs we are going after in the 2019 class. 1 real solid big would fill out the mins needed as a backup 4/5 but imagine we'll be looking to bring in a separate body for each of those roles.

Goodine being too good to sit could also push Hughes and Dolezaj up a position and look more like this which would alleviate some of the concerns at the 4 at least. Still a hole at the backup 5 unless we played small with Marek as the primary backup 5 with Sidibe playing 30-33mpg as a JR which is certainly within the realm of possiblity considering Lydon did it a fair amount and Marek already got a bit of emergency time there as a scrawny Freshman.

PG: Carey/Washington
SG: Goodine/Buddy
SF: Hughes/Buddy/Braswell
PF: Dolezaj/Braswell
C: Sidibe/Dolezaj

That's actually an 8 man rotation right there which is the most we can expect to see Jimmy play anyway.

I've been looking forward to this year since before last year even started. Now for the 1st time you've got me thinking about the following year too. Even without accounting for additional 2019 recruits we are looking pretty solid and deep:

Would guess there's a good shot that a 2019 recruit might end up starting at the 4. This also shows why Osun would've been a valuable recruit to lock up though it shouldn't be too big of a deal considering the caliber of bigs we are going after in the 2019 class. 1 real solid big would fill out the mins needed as a backup 4/5 but imagine we'll be looking to bring in a separate body for each of those roles.

Goodine being too good to sit could also push Hughes and Dolezaj up a position and look more like this which would alleviate some of the concerns at the 4 at least. Still a hole at the backup 5 unless we played small with Marek as the primary backup 5 with Sidibe playing 30-33mpg as a JR which is certainly within the realm of possiblity considering Lydon did it a fair amount and Marek already got a bit of emergency time there as a scrawny Freshman.

That's actually an 8 man rotation right there which is the most we can expect to see Jimmy play anyway.
I like the way that you are thinking, but if truth be told, the only proven player in all of that is Marek, assuming he will be back. Even in Marek's case he still has to prove the way he played towards the end of last season will be sustainable over a full season (though I am really not worried about that).

I am very optimistic we will be fine in the backcourt. I do not think we will have enough in the frontcourt without adding at least two guys who can make the rotation or even start.

i thought there was also a possibility that Chuk could be back for a fifth season. If that were to happen it make a big difference as well.

And that's without factoring in any OTHER recruits we pull in for 2019.

These next couple of years are going to be exciting.

And that's without factoring in any OTHER recruits we pull in for 2019.

These next couple of years are going to be exciting.

Agree. Things are a lot easier when you are actually using 10 or god forbid 11 scholarships at a time. There of course will be attrition that we can't account for. Anyone that doesn't excel and ends up the 9th/10th guys in what will almost assuredly be an 8 man rotation are always candidates to take off. Don't really love to speculate but if HoWo doesn't redshirt this year and is looking at going into his Jr year as a clear backup, he may want to leave and be able to redshirt somewhere else and still have 2 years of eligibility left. I hope that doesn't happen as I believe he is going to be a very steady 3rd guard as an upperclassmen that we usually don't have the luxury of having.

I like the way that you are thinking, but if truth be told, the only proven player in all of that is Marek, assuming he will be back. Even in Marek's case he still has to prove the way he played towards the end of last season will be sustainable over a full season (though I am really not worried about that).

I am very optimistic we will be fine in the backcourt. I do not think we will have enough in the frontcourt without adding at least two guys who can make the rotation or even start.

i thought there was also a possibility that Chuk could be back for a fifth season. If that were to happen it make a big difference as well.

Fully agree. Can't really imagine a scenario where there isn't at least 2 front court guys in the '19 class. A 3/4 and a 4/5 would be great. Otherwise a 3/4 and a strictly 5 would be sufficient.

Fully agree. Can't really imagine a scenario where there isn't at least 2 front court guys in the '19 class. A 3/4 and a 4/5 would be great. Otherwise a 3/4 and a strictly 5 would be sufficient.

I wonder if Braswell is the guy who fits that 3/4 role.

But to your point from above -- we have a viable, quality 8 player rotation even without filling out the class of 2019. Now imagine adding a Stewart, Cockburn, Whitney, Wahib, Girard, etc. to the mix.

Good time to be an SU fan.

But to your point from above -- we have a viable, quality 8 player rotation even without filling out the class of 2019. Now imagine adding a Stewart, Cockburn, Whitney, Wahib, Girard, etc. to the mix.

Good time to be an SU fan.

It is nice to see the roster filling up with quality players. I think they'll get a 3 and a 4/5, but unless someone leaves we have quite the logjam in the backcourt. If Hughes wants to be a SG there won't be much left with him, Carey, Goodine, Boeheim and Washington fighting for playing time. Hard to convince a Top 50 guy to commit with little hope of meaningful minutes.

I like the lineup but you're right we need another forward. And if we can pull Cockburn in ... it will be like having a Michael Graham-like knee breaker coming off the bench (with better sportsmanship of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom