Class of 2019 - CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 87 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 CG Joe Girard III (NY) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the backcourt will be as crowded as people think.

Carey could already be thinking 1-and-done...

Goodine is a given, as is Buddy, but nobody else on the current team is 100% for 2019-20.

All depends on how season goes, of course.

I'm not disagreeing with your point about BC, but just a point of clarification because this has come up in other posts as well.. The Carrier Dome is closer to Glens Falls (about 25% closer) According to Mapquest, from Glens Falls to Chestnut Hill, it is 214 miles and takes 3 hours and 42 minutes. To the Carrier Dome, it is 161 miles and takes 2 hours and 56 minutes. Definitely not a make it or break it issue but there is a difference.
Assuming most of the travel will be during the winter months, it is a lot easier drive going along the Mohawk Valley to Syracuse than through the Berkshires to Boston. From someone who has done it many times, driving in bad weather through the Berkshires is no picnic. The wind and black ice can be really nasty.

I think it’s a possibility that we lose Tyus, Oshae, Marek, Frank, PC, Carey and Hughes after this year.

Saying that, that means we had a great year. I think the only iffy ones from the above are Carey and Hughes. But Hughes is more of a 3 anyway and I give him a better chance to stay than Carey

If Carey is a one and done that means he had a better season than Battle did his freshman year. Battle was not even getting 2nd round projections.
It means Carey was in the one and done mindset no matter what. You can’t compare kids in that situation

It means Carey was in the one and done mindset no matter what. You can’t compare kids in that situation

I'm not. I believe kids should leave early when they can, but that's if the NBA is 100% sold on you.

I think Carey is great and what we need. I also think he's the 7th man and he needs to have Dion Waiters sophomore year his freshman year if he is going to get drafted.

I mean if he's that good it should be final four or bust. These are pretty high expectations we a putting on a freshman. We've had some good freshmen. Mali, Oshae, Lydon. They all got 30 plus minutes though.

...If he comes to The Harvard of CNY, a red-shirt year might be in his future. That said, 5 years of 70k+ scholarships with an opportunity to graduate early AND get a Masters doesn't sound bad to me.

'The Harvard of CNY'. This always bothers me. I love my alma mater, am very proud of it and never hesitate to tell people I'm Orange, BUT you do realize Cornell is in CNY and being that they actually ARE an Ivy League school, then doesn't it sensibly follow that THEY would be the Harvard of CNY?

Jus' sayin'.

I'm not. I believe kids should leave early when they can, but that's if the NBA is 100% sold on you.

I think Carey is great and what we need. I also think he's the 7th man and he needs to have Dion Waiters sophomore year his freshman year if he is going to get drafted.

I mean if he's that good it should be final four or bust. These are pretty high expectations we a putting on a freshman. We've had some good freshmen. Mali, Oshae, Lydon. They all got 30 plus minutes though.
I’m not really disagreeing with you. But we’ve seen in the past that kids will go when they want to go regardless of what the NBA thinks. Carey might have told JB he’s 1 and done. Or he might want to stay 2 years.

Unfortunately it’s hard to bring logic into a discussion of kids leaving for the NBA because every kid sees it differently.

If Carey is a one and done that means he had a better season than Battle did his freshman year. Battle was not even getting 2nd round projections.

Dion never started a game at SU and was a Top 3 pick. If you show you have potential and can play, they will see it and you will be drafted. Guard is tougher to do without getting big minutes but it can be done.

Dion never started a game at SU and was a Top 3 pick. If you show you have potential and can play, they will see it and you will be drafted. Guard is tougher to do without getting big minutes but it can be done.

I wasn't disputing that. He wanted to leave after his freshman year though when he averaged 16 minutes a game, but the NBA did not want him. Same for Oshae this year. Did he want to leave? I'm sure he did. But it's a 2 way street.

Carey was told during the recruiting process that the coaches didn't expect Tyus back -- which is reasonable. And therefore that he'd walk into a starting role, major PT, etc. which would give him the opportunity to be a featured player in the offense, and a likely 1-and-done.

Obviously, with Tyus back Carey probably doesn't start. Boeheim has already stated that he expects Jalen to play -- a lot -- and that Frank isn't going to get as many minutes this year.

Whether he plays enough to be a 1-and-done, how much he scores per game, etc. remains to be seen. I think a lot of his candidacy will hinge on team success -- if we have a big year, then he might get recognized by association even if he isn't a starter.

I think it is most likely now, with Battle unexpectedly coming back, that Carey won't be a 1-and-done. But you never know -- which I believe was Jake's point above. The backcourt depth looks like it could possibly be overflowing for the next few years, but what happens if [just hypothetically] Howard Washington transfers, somebody gets injured, etc. All of the sudden, we're back down to having only 2 or 3 guys in the backcourt rotation.

I hope we land Girard, because the kid can really shoot, and because I want to see our backcourt depth improve. Too many strange things happen with our program for me to ever feel comfortable about depth.

Last edited:
'The Harvard of CNY'. This always bothers me. I love my alma mater, am very proud of it and never hesitate to tell people I'm Orange, BUT you do realize Cornell is in CNY and being that they actually ARE an Ivy League school, then doesn't it sensibly follow that THEY would be the Harvard of CNY?

Jus' sayin'.
You take that comment seriously? Seriously.

I think B.C. would be a very good choice for him. He will play from day 1. They will build the team around him. He will be just as close to home playing there as he would be playing at Syracuse. Here, we have Buddy, Goodine, Carey and Washington already here. And even Hughes. B.C. is an excellent school, also in the ACC.

Hence the reason for a potential frosh red-shirt year. Nothing to do with his talent level; everything to do with him seeing less than 5, 6 minutes a game whereby the following 4 years, PT will open up. Battle and Howard and Carey might all be gone after '19.

Jus' sayin'.

If Sean McDonough can make that crack and laugh a little time after time, so can JHarris44.

Dion was a closer though and he was a top 3 pick despite not really working out for teams, which says a lot about the dude's athleticism and explosiveness. He was elite level. Anyone at that level is gone, but that's a high bar.

Top 5*. Drafted fourth overall to Cleveland.

I think it’s a possibility that we lose Tyus, Oshae, Marek, Frank, PC, Carey and Hughes after this year.

I'm not sure I totally understand this line of thinking -- feels like a slight overreaction to the rash of players we've had going early somewhat unexpectedly (McCullough post-injury, Ennis at the right time but just not what we were expecting, Lydon after a so-so sophomore year, Mali seemingly out of nowhere, Grant when he couldn't make a 15-foot jumper, Bazely deciding to take his talents to the G League ...). But the thing all those guys had in common is that they were in pretty good shape to find a landing spot in the draft. All were first-rounders outside of Grant but it feels like he had strong intel that he would get guaranteed money as a 2nd rounder if he didn't go in the first.

What makes your scenario a little strange, IMO, is that Carey would have to explode onto the scene as would Hughes and then Marek, it feels to me anyway, would have to really just want to get closer to home. All three feel like possibilities -- and if Hughes and Carey explode this team would be unreal and likely a title contender. So, to that end, I won't complain if it happens.

But, Carey is only a fringe top 50 recruit -- not a bad thing and still a really solid get but not a top-10 guy. Plus, he's a 6-3 guard, which is a tougher pool of talent than if you're walking onto campus as a super skilled big like a Bazely. Hughes is a 6-5 small forward so he really falls into the same category in the sense that he's pretty small to be a 3 at the next level. And Marek could be close to a degree after his third year (were he to stay) and still is just scratching the surface as a player even though I know he's a little older than most sophs.

I don't know -- could happen, but those guys don't fit the same profile as the others that left early. Not saying you're wrong but I'd argue -- even though it's bucking the trend -- that we'd be more likely to have all three back than to see all three leave. Just my opinion, obvioulsy.

I'm not sure I totally understand this line of thinking -- feels like a slight overreaction to the rash of players we've had going early somewhat unexpectedly (McCullough post-injury, Ennis at the right time but just not what we were expecting, Lydon after a so-so sophomore year, Mali seemingly out of nowhere, Grant when he couldn't make a 15-foot jumper, Bazely deciding to take his talents to the G League ...). But the thing all those guys had in common is that they were in pretty good shape to find a landing spot in the draft. All were first-rounders outside of Grant but it feels like he had strong intel that he would get guaranteed money as a 2nd rounder if he didn't go in the first.

What makes your scenario a little strange, IMO, is that Carey would have to explode onto the scene as would Hughes and then Marek, it feels to me anyway, would have to really just want to get closer to home. All three feel like possibilities -- and if Hughes and Carey explode this team would be unreal and likely a title contender. So, to that end, I won't complain if it happens.

But, Carey is only a fringe top 50 recruit -- not a bad thing and still a really solid get but not a top-10 guy. Plus, he's a 6-3 guard, which is a tougher pool of talent than if you're walking onto campus as a super skilled big like a Bazely. Hughes is a 6-5 small forward so he really falls into the same category in the sense that he's pretty small to be a 3 at the next level. And Marek could be close to a degree after his third year (were he to stay) and still is just scratching the surface as a player even though I know he's a little older than most sophs.

I don't know -- could happen, but those guys don't fit the same profile as the others that left early. Not saying you're wrong but I'd argue -- even though it's bucking the trend -- that we'd be more likely to have all three back than to see all three leave. Just my opinion, obvioulsy.

I think that's pretty good logic [although I think that Hughes is probably actually more of a 2 who can play 3, and will do so more due to the presence of Tyus Battle this upcoming year than a full time 3].

The operative term in the post you responded to was "possibility."

It's been mentioned that Carey might be a 1-and-done candidate. It's been mentioned that Hughes is substantially better than many expected, and could prove to be an NBA candidate. Maybe Marek leaves to go play pro ball back in Europe [but then again, maybe he doesn't].

I personally think it is more likely that all three would leave after the FOLLOWING season, when they become starters / the featured players in the offense.

With FH and TB back I don’t see how Carey gets enough minutes to be a legitimate draft prospect after his freshman year. I think he’s more likely an MCW, not a one and done. I don’t think he’s coming in with enough hype to get drafted on limited minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom