Chad Ford at it again : McCullough could still be first round pick | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Chad Ford at it again : McCullough could still be first round pick

Well thats one man's opinion of what constitutes an NBA player. It is not mine, but my point was that many players are drafted on potential who never see significant NBA play or cash. I think we all would be happy with just an NBA signing bonus if we could get it though. I do not think that would make them an NBA player though because, kind of by definition, you need to end up actually playing in the league to be considered a player.
I did say "make the team" which constitutes playing in the league. Scotty Brooks barely ever got into any games, and just sat on the bench and waved his towel for years. I consider him to have been an NBA player.

I did say "make the team" which constitutes playing in the league. Scotty Brooks barely ever got into any games, and just sat on the bench and waved his towel for years. I consider him to have been an NBA player.

No there are plenty of guys who have technically made the team, but never play at all in actual competitive games, strictly practice players and usually not there more than a season or so. Andy Rautins to mention one, nothing against him, and not trying to single him out, just an example. Not my idea of making it as an NBA player. We can disagree on this point, it was not really the point of my original post.

i think Bear has a point . . . making an NBA roster does not make you a legitimate NBA player. I don't know what the cut off should be - how about at least 20 on court appearances in any single season or at least 50 games across multiple seasons?

i think Bear has a point . . . making an NBA roster does not make you a legitimate NBA player. I don't know what the cut off should be - how about at least 20 on court appearances in any single season or at least 50 games across multiple seasons?
Let's go with 10 on court appearances. That means you've moved beyond being just a 10 day contract player.

Let's go with 10 on court appearances. That means you've moved beyond being just a 10 day contract player.
but that makes Mookie Watkins (14 games) & Kris Joseph (10 games) legit NBA players, which I do not believe is the case. but that's just me, it's not a universal definition. that is something we'll have to come to consensus on

but that makes Mookie Watkins & Kris Joseph legit NBA players, which I do not believe is the case. but that's just me, it's not a universal definition. that is something we'll have to come to consensus on
That's why I'd probably just put it as someone who spends an entire season (start to finish) with a club. Don't need to set any playing time standards, but they need to be listed on the roster of an NBA team for a full 82 game season. If you can stick for a full season, in my book, you're an NBA player.

Given the paradigm has shifted some over the past decade you have to question when an NBDL is a legit NBA player. Obviously not there yet but the discussion above raises that question for me. Given it is being used more frequently with draft picks that aren't ready or are buried at the bottom of a talented roster. Given the state of college hoops this year and the continuous downward trend of skilled players entering each year vs high potential athletes. I think that also has a big part to do with seeing how successful the best managed/coached organizations are with aging skilled vets still playing and winning. The generations after Lebron haven't really won anything. OKC has gotten close but there is still some skill and good organizational management there. The logjam in the west has a lot to do with the organizations coaches and veterans as much as anything. Trying to see who is leading the next wave is difficult.

Not to get off topic but back to the NBDL I think the lack of collegiate experience to craft skillsets and leadership will continue to make the NBDL more important, crappy attendance or not. So thus shifting that definition as well.

Please name all the famous NBA scouts you allude to. Feel free to go back to the time of Adam and Eve.

1. ____________
2.____________
3. ____________

Seriously, can anyone here actually name even one NBA scout (other than newmexicuse)?
Gordie Chiesa. Probably spelling that wrong. Good dude.

That's why I'd probably just put it as someone who spends an entire season (start to finish) with a club. Don't need to set any playing time standards, but they need to be listed on the roster of an NBA team for a full 82 game season. If you can stick for a full season, in my book, you're an NBA player.
but the roster rules in the NBA allow a guy like Fab Melo to be on the Celtics roster the entire year even though he spent most of it in the D League. There are 15 roster spots and you have to have at least 12 active, the other three you can move up, down & around. Tyler Ennis has been on the Phoenix roster all season even though most of his playing time has been in Bakersfield

No, my reply was on topic. That summed up my reaction to your post. And you can't have a bartender. 12 year olds can't drink.

EDIT: I found footage of CuseHulk addressing Chad Ford, though for some reason he's calling Chris by another name:

maybe the greatest line ever in syracusefan history "and you can't have a bartender. 12 year olds can't drink" I had to change my depends...lol

Last edited:
Yeah, because he lives in Hawaii and ESPN plays him sh'loads of money to watch basketball and show up for the occasional chat, mock draft or article.

When we tell Chad Ford what he's really worth, he dries his tears with Benjamins from ESPN and consoles himself by walking out his backdoor and into the Pacific ocean, where I imagine he then takes a stress-relieving leak.
Wow, I never thought about it before but that's a really sweet gig. I always wanted to be a backup center in the NBA (overpaid because you're a center, no expectations because you're a backup), but this could work too...I'll get back to you.