Chandler Jones vs Dwight Freeney | Syracusefan.com

Chandler Jones vs Dwight Freeney

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
God willing Chandler finishes out his career healthy and productive, who’s our all time DE?

Talking pro production/career wise.

Pro production seems to lean towards Jones, but I don't know why that would make him OUR all-time best. What they did in the pros does nothing for wins while at SU.

To me it will always be Freeney. He had one of the most dominant defensive seasons ever as a senior. And I heard both college and pro coaches say he sacrificed sack numbers for what was better for the team. Had Indianapolis ever established a decent up the middle run defense, he would've had even more opportunities.

Last edited:
Pro production seems to lean towards Jones, but I don't know wny that would make him OUR all-time best. What they did in the pros does nothing for wins while at SU.

To me it will always be Freeney. He had one of the most dominant defensive seasons ever as a senior. And I heard both college and pro coaches say he sacrificed sack numbers for what was better for the team. Had Indianapolis ever established a decent up the middle run defense, he would've had even more opportunities.

Didn't freeney break the all-time NFL record for career sacks?

Who’s better the better professional football player is the Op

I think Freeney was better at both levels. Certainly a more impactful player at SU.

Chan was… pretty good @ Cuse.
Above average.

Freeney legit shoulda been a Heisman finalist his Sr year.

Now - Chan has gone on to have an excellent Pro career.

But he’s still no match for Freeney overall.

Feel like because I lived in cuse growing up, colts games were on TV a Lot more so it was easy to see Dwight. They are both awesome. No reason to have a versus

I just wish Freeney could have had 4 healthy years at SU instead of essentially 1.67.

From his first snap at the big house in 1998 you knew he was going to be something special.

images

God willing Chandler finishes out his career healthy and productive, who’s our all time DE?

Talking pro production/career wise.
They are both excellent at their positions in the NFL. Freeney has the edge on this one IMO.

Pro career wise I think Chandler will end up being better
College career it's clearly Dwight

This is not taking anything away from either.

Dwight was a household name and an icon for the Colts.

Chandler’s a past DPOY and on pace to threaten the top ten of all time.

We’re lucky to have a debate like this. These two are incredible talents.

Chandler, I think, has had a more impactful NFL career than Freeney. But that's like asking me to choose between a Lamborghini and a Ferrari. I'd take either in a heartbeat.

But to answer dollarbill44, Chandler never impacted a game the way Art did against Notre Dame in 2008.

Trent Williams spent 20 minutes or so on Le Batard this week and said Chandler is his toughest matchup in the NFL today (and that he’s glad he’s not a center or guard to deal with Aaron Donald). Also mentioned they work out together in the off-season and have become good friends. Was incredibly complimentary of Chan.

But back to the question, Freeney is my favorite player ever and would be an absolute menace in today’s game.

I think Jones is the more complete DE in the NFL, Dwight was more disruptive though but generally terrible against the run