Changing perceptions? | Syracusefan.com

Changing perceptions?

qdawgg

Night Biking Enthusiast
I've read, even just today, some different stories of people noticing a new/renewed interest in SU football or even just some level of attention from regular people. I had my own "encounter" with this just this week. Some context; I teach in a rural school, one of the poorer districts in the state and a good 2+ hours from syracuse. I would bet a paycheck that 90% of my students have never even been anywhere in Syracuse at any point. There's not a lot of students who really know a lot about sports, some will wear different team gear but it's typically because that was what was on sale. I have some Syracuse things up around my room, so my students know I'm a fan.

I had a student on Tuesday, he was looking at Otto I have at the front of the room and he said something along the lines of, "I heard they beat FSU, that's a really good win. They beat Clemson last year too didn't they". I was kind of taken aback because in the 12 years I've been teaching I've never once had a student mention anything about SU football. Some students are in tune a little with SU basketball, especially around tournament time but never football. I didn't even know this student liked any sports or knew anything about sports.

So I just found that interesting, combined with the other similar tidbits I've read on the board lately and curious if other people have noticed the same thing?

The narrative out here with my Zona pals is (1) the ACC sucks and (2) wish we had Dino instead of Sumlin.

I happily remind them that (1) the Pac12 is much worse and (2) Sumlin signed a long team deal - you can't have Dino!

I think the other interesting angle is that for the regular bandwagon fan, they have no idea that FSU isn't doing well right now. They see the name only. They might not even know at the end of the year, if FSU ends up with a bad record, that it wasn't a win like beating Clemson last year. They just see the name but that helps get interest again in the team. I would argue that for the casual fan, they have no idea if Uconn is good or not, they just know the name. They'll think us crushing Uconn on Saturday is a pretty good win too.

Take care of business this weekend. 4-0 for the first time since 1991 gets attention locally. And not in that 3-0 Shafer podium pounding exposing all his insecurities kind of way.

Being 4-0 and losing badly to Clemson will make some of those fans say 'same old Syracuse' because they're dumb. Just ignore them, and keep building the momentum with the winnable games that follow it.

Take care of business this weekend. 4-0 for the first time since 1991 gets attention locally. And not in that 3-0 Shafer podium pounding exposing all his insecurities kind of way.

Being 4-0 and losing badly to Clemson will make some of those fans say 'same old Syracuse' because they're dumb. Just ignore them, and keep building the momentum with the winnable games that follow it.
Need to pound Uconn this Saturday. That'll put a lot of people on notice.

Need to pound Uconn this Saturday. That'll put a lot of people on notice.

Early and often. I think everyone expects a blowout, so let's give the people what they want.

are-you-not-pvcbh9.jpg

My boss, an LSU grad, said on Monday morning, "Here, watch this, your guys contributed significantly to a funny in here."

As humorous as the video was, I would not be surprised if FSU wins at least 6. Recall the Babers was 4-8 with limited talent and zero depth on top of the injuries. FSU has talent, deep talent and a similar system. Their elite level talent can be worth two victories. It all comes down to when some of the new offense starts to come together.

I'm all for FSU being down, at least below SU, but I think the idea that the Seminoles are washed up is premature. Just my take.

I hate to state the obvious, for those who know, but that looks an awful lot like Millhouse at that age.
Oh come on that is ridicactually yeah he does

Last edited:
As humorous as the video was, I would not be surprised if FSU wins at least 6. Recall the Babers was 4-8 with limited talent and zero depth on top of the injuries. FSU has talent, deep talent and a similar system. Their elite level talent can be worth two victories. It all comes down to when some of the new offense starts to come together.

I'm all for FSU being down, at least below SU, but I think the idea that the Seminoles are washed up is premature. Just my take.

Our “takes” are closely aligned... I take much delight in FSU being down but they are literally a decent OL away from being good to great. Lucky for all that the OL takes the longest to develop. There is a lot to be worked out and it’s still early for their new head coach to take the blame for this. I am quietly hoping he doesn’t put it together again as the players he needs to run his offense are the same ones we need, that wasn’t the case with Jimbo. Regardless, the talent in that area is just to much for them to be down for long.

Bottom line, culture. Successful organizations thrive on a culture that is established from the top and then permeates through at every level. Look at successful sports teams, businesses, military units, police departments, political campaigns, etc. when there is an overarching message and end state that has been bought into, watch out. When people at the lowest level feel empowered to go that extra mile, to reach that next level, watch out.

This program has that culture right now and it makes this team capable of achieving things most never believed possible this season. Could they lose every game from here on out? Sure. Could they shock Clemson this week? Sure. If they remember WHY they are playing for this program, these coaches, their families, themselves, this is a dangerous football team for anyone to play.

Wins will change the perception. Culture will change the perception. They are headed in the right track, but need to maintain their focus. This team has yet to put together a full four quarter performance. Let’s think about that for a moment and what that might mean.

Pack has been giving us some love on Sirius the last few days. Nice to hear.

There are some posters on the Fight On Forum who are into Babers and what SU is doing. Majority of the fanbase (me as well) want Helton and the whole staff gone. Many people hope Babers would get an interview at minimum.

As I have heard, Babers wants to stay but he didn’t think fan base would be so hard to pull back in. I just think us winning will pull people back in. I am hoping we ride the year out strong we sign him to a really good contract so he is set for life and get our fan base back to 90 s time when I couldn’t hear anything.

As I have heard, Babers wants to stay but he didn’t think fan base would be so hard to pull back in. I just think us winning will pull people back in. I am hoping we ride the year out strong we sign him to a really good contract so he is set for life and get our fan base back to 90 s time when I couldn’t hear anything.
If he wins fans will come back. I’ll flip his argument, he needs to have faith; belief without evidence. They will come if we win and don’t lose stupid games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom