Chip Kelly likely leaving UCLA for Ohio State OC job | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chip Kelly likely leaving UCLA for Ohio State OC job

I hope the Dino gets the gig.
My first thought too. Isn’t that what most folks say on this board? That he’s just trying to get out west? edit: FURTHER west :)

I’m not sure that this specific situation is an indictment of the broader landscape.

Kelly has wanted to escape from LA for a while. He found a landing spot extremely late in the carousel cycle and jumped. That’s never going to be typical.

Personally I think it’s a d!!ck move by him. If he wanted out so badly then he should have resigned in early December. He didn’t need to wait to find another gig, he has tons and tons of money.

With the bad blood between UCLA and Kelly, and with his personality - I suspect the dickishness of this move was a big part of the appeal to Chip. A parting “screw you” on his way out the door.

Me too. Any time you can hire a guy who can’t recruit or coach u gotta go for it
Thats All Mic Drop GIF by StickerGiant

I remember being on a business trip years ago and had some time to kill so I checked out the UCLA campus. I saw a couple of smoking hot coeds walking through campus. I eavesdropped on their conversation. One said to the other “what do you want to do today?” “I dunno” was the response. ”do you want to go to the beach?” “Ok” I was in awe. What a lifestyle! It was October and I thought to myself why did I go to Syracuse University? This conversation never happened outside Hendricks Chapel or on the steps outside Mt. Olympus!

The facilities at UCLA were awesome. The neighborhood is ritzy. As a hoops junkie I liked the John Wooden influence that still lingered on campus. That said having also visited USC when we played them under Marrone, they have a lot a more going for them as it pertains to future football success. The Coliseum is right on campus. The Rose Bowl is like 25 miles away from UCLA in Pasadena. USC has the heisman legacy and the recent national championship pedigree. Cool band and annoying song. I think UCLA will always be playing catch up. Not that Chip Kelly has proven to be an elite lasting coach other than at Oregon but I think that job at UCLA is harder than it appears. The move to the Big Ten makes it more difficult. Sure they have all the advantages with weather, recruiting area, etc. I think the will always be second fiddle to SC.

Apparently he’s been looking to leave for over a year….

"Chip's been trying to get out of UCLA," Lombardi said on The Pat McAfee Show. "He interviewed for the Cincinnati job last year. I don't know if many people know that but he did. He didn't get that job."

Even worse is the decision by UC to hire Satterfield over him if Chip was an option

Last edited:
I remember being on a business trip years ago and had some time to kill so I checked out the UCLA campus. I saw a couple of smoking hot coeds walking through campus. I eavesdropped on their conversation. One said to the other “what do you want to do today?” “I dunno” was the response. ”do you want to go to the beach?” “Ok” I was in awe. What a lifestyle! It was October and I thought to myself why did I go to Syracuse University? This conversation never happened outside Hendricks Chapel or on the steps outside Mt. Olympus!

The facilities at UCLA were awesome. The neighborhood is ritzy. As a hoops junkie I liked the John Wooden influence that still lingered on campus. That said having also visited USC when we played them under Marrone, they have a lot a more going for them as it pertains to future football success. The Coliseum is right on campus. The Rose Bowl is like 25 miles away from UCLA in Pasadena. USC has the heisman legacy and the recent national championship pedigree. Cool band and annoying song. I think UCLA will always be playing catch up. Not that Chip Kelly has proven to be an elite lasting coach other than at Oregon but I think that job at UCLA is harder than it appears. The move to the Big Ten makes it more difficult. Sure they have all the advantages with weather, recruiting area, etc. I think the will always be second fiddle to SC.
I much prefer UCLA where it’s safe to leave campus, unlike USC.

I have lots of dollars on Buckeyes natty +700 and now some +500 BoB no bueno I like this

UCLA had to be the school that engineered the demise of the PAC12, their arrogance is off the charts.

Kelly and Ryan Day are close. My question is this: How awful must the UCLA job must be?
He left before he was fired

Agree. Used to do business there. Hung out at the chart house.

He left before he was fired

Agree. Used to do business there. Hung out at the chart house.
But he wasn't getting fired this year. He would have collected $6 million this season, and if he were fired at the conclusion of the season, he would collect another $4 million in buy-out money - I think that's the figure.

So, there has to be something else going on in Westwood.

I much prefer UCLA where it’s safe to leave campus, unlike USC.

The area around USC has been improved tremendously in recent years. The area around UCLA (Westwood) has been overly developed and has lost the feeling of a college town. It’s congested and always seems to have construction going on.

Cuse all the way

UCLA will be a bottom feeder in Big Ten next year

They might go winless in conference
I despise the Big Ten more than any other college sports entity outside of uconn can’t believe USC and UCLA are being neutered right before joining. UW totally gutted as well though that is a different situation coming off a title game appearance but they will be like TCU. Ducks aren’t up either for next year.

The area around USC has been improved tremendously in recent years. The area around UCLA (Westwood) has been overly developed and has lost the feeling of a college town. It’s congested and always seems to have construction going on.

My wife worked at UCLA for about five years after college. Hated it because any drive meant crawling through a traffic jam - that was 15 years ago, can’t imagine how bad it is if it’s even worse now.

I think playing in the Rose Bowl is a disadvantage now when it may have been an advantage in the past - too far from campus, too hard to access, way too big for current attendance.

My wife worked at UCLA for about five years after college. Hated it because any drive meant crawling through a traffic jam - that was 15 years ago, can’t imagine how bad it is if it’s even worse now.

I think playing in the Rose Bowl is a disadvantage now when it may have been an advantage in the past - too far from campus, too hard to access, way too big for current attendance.
I had to take an annual business trip to LA for 4 years in a row at the end of the last decade and wasn't even the one driving and it still gave me anxiety.

Kelly and Ryan Day are close. My question is this: How awful must the UCLA job must be?
UCLA is a huge state university with no fans. BT money cannot alter that fact. Nor can it make UCLA seem as sexy to recruits as USC. The BT adding UCLA was just to placate SC. I'd take both UAZ and AZ St over UCLA any day.

UCLA had to be the school that engineered the demise of the PAC12, their arrogance is off the charts.
And they were the last of the classic 8 in the Pac 8. I think they did not get into the Pac until the mid-1920s. Cal and Stanford fans still call them 'baby bears' and laugh about their unearned arrogance.

And they were the last of the classic 8 in the Pac 8. I think they did not get into the Pac until the mid-1920s. Cal and Stanford fans still call them 'baby bears' and laugh about their unearned arrogance.
Sounds like they have the same self esteem problem as FSU. Of course, FSU is really nouveau riche and could lose their opportunity in the P2 to UCF now that UCF is getting a chance in the Big 12.