Chris Ash thread... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Ash thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm dizzy! With all that swaying it's like I just got off the tea cups at Disney world. It's a little weird hearing the obvious meathead of the year (2008-2013) talk about change change change. Maybe there's nope in the message but the packaging isn't what I've been hoping for.

That interview is reason enough not to hire. good Lord. I'm sick.

This guy will be an unmitigated disaster. GROB like.

He is the prototype of a steak head.

If we hire Ash, we hire a key, high level assistant (some say co-DC, some say de facto DC) picked by the best coach in football today, who coaches at a university 6 hrs from Syracuse (a school with recruiting relationship pipelines among the top 5 in the nation). In addition to that experience, also has worked at other football powerhouses, and is known to recruit well.
Our defense was the problem this year. He would likely improve that immediately.

Dantonio built a powerhouse at MSU. I do agree that Ash must hire someone creative to complement him as an OC. But, he comes from the coaching tree of a man that almost ran the table in the last 2 consecutive years, and won national championship with 3rd string QB. I'm confident he knows a couple great offensive minds open to take a role designing offense that can excel in the great indoors.

Get the right guy. If Urb likes him, that gives me a good feeling. Not sexy, but I'd rather hire a winner than a splashy guy

If we hire Ash, we hire a key, high level assistant (some say co-DC, some say de facto DC) picked by the best coach in football today, who coaches at a university 6 hrs from Syracuse (a school with recruiting relationship pipelines among the top 5 in the nation). In addition to that experience, also has worked at other football powerhouses, and is known to recruit well.
Our defense was the problem this year. He would likely improve that immediately.

Dantonio built a powerhouse at MSU. I do agree that Ash must hire someone creative to complement him as an OC. But, he comes from the coaching tree of a man that almost ran the table in the last 2 consecutive years, and won national championship with 3rd string QB. I'm confident he knows a couple great offensive minds open to take a role designing offense that can excel in the great indoors.

Get the right guy. If Urb likes him, that gives me a good feeling. Not s e xy, but I'd rather hire a winner than a splashy guy

Why? Why would our defense improve immediately? Scott Shafer was an amazing DC with ties to California via Stanford and Michigan via UM and WMU. Also, the last time we said we didn't want the s e xy hire, we hired Shafer.

meathead_400x400.png

"Tackling!"

I like this guy.

In case you haven't heard

Syracuse: Sources tell FootballScoop that Ohio State defensive coordinator Chris Ash is a strong candidate for the head coaching position at Syracuse. Ash has served as co-defensive coordinator at Ohio State the past two seasons, as DC at Arkansas in 2013 and at Wisconsin in 2011 & 2012. We have not heard a timetable for a decision and were told earlier today that other candidates were still in the process.
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Meyer always uses Co-coordinators.

Withers and Fickell
Herman and Warinner
Fickell and Ash
Warinner and Beck

Charlie Strong and Greg Mattison were co-DC's at Florida.

Why? Why would our defense improve immediately? Scott Shafer was an amazing DC with ties to California via Stanford and Michigan via UM and WMU. Also, the last time we said we didn't want the s e xy hire, we hired Shafer.
Because we have not been able to recruit mid level db talent. I like Bullough as a human being, but did not think he was as strong as Shafer. Shafer would have never replaced him. Therefore we'd get same level of recruits and same scheme (a scheme where we play 15 yards off receivers and get screened to death).

Because we have not been able to recruit mid level db talent. I like Bullough as a human being, but did not think he was as strong as Shafer. Shafer would have never replaced him. Therefore we'd get same level of recruits and same scheme (a scheme where we play 15 yards off receivers and get screened to death).
I don't know that I agree with that. If Shafer couldn't get kids here, then I don't know that this guy can either. You're right that Bullough was not as strong as Shafer, but that just means we need a good DC to go along with our defensive minded HC. It does not mean that this guy can do anything as the HC that Shafer couldn't do.

Even though I would like to see an offensive HC at the helm, Chris Ash is a hot property on the college football scene. Ash is an excellent recruiter and if you couple him with an aggressive OC, I think the Cuse may have something here.
Drinking a Best Damn Root Beer for the Frost-watch...a 5.5% ABV brew that will be available in mid-Dec.

Wait, guys, things may have taken a BIG turn here. Ash's resume is even better than we could have anticipated, according to this mother of an Ohio State player:

You see that? He's a swag igniter. That has to make up for the lack of head coaching experience, I would think.

Wait, guys, things may have taken a BIG turn here. Ash's resume is even better than we could have anticipated, according to this mother of an Ohio State player:

You see that? He's a swag igniter. That has to make up for the lack of head coaching experience, I would think.

I thought OSU was known for pawning swag, not igniting it?

Even though I would like to see an offensive HC at the helm, Chris Ash is a hot property on the college football scene. Ash is an excellent recruiter and if you couple him with an aggressive OC, I think the Cuse may have something here.
Drinking a Best Damn Root Beer for the Frost-watch...a 5.5% ABV brew that will be available in mid-Dec.

He's a good young coach. For me personally, I wouldn't pass judgement on him until I see the staff he assembles.

Swag Igniter. Hire this man
Psshhhh, we've been burning our old cleats for years. One could also make the case for Flood being a "swag igniter", though the swag was located in a dumpster.

Status
Not open for further replies.