Chris Bell.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bell..

Well, in Joe's defense, this year he's well rested and not playing out of position.
Yeah, but last year he played the 2 and only shot 38.1%. As for minutes, he really isn't playing that many less. At Syracuse, he played 33.0, 27.7, 34.1, and 34.7 per game. At Clemson he's averaging 32.8 right now.

And against Louisville he had a shocking 9 rebounds (to go along with those 30 points). He definitely seems to be mixing it up a little more on the glass.

Uh, that's not what ESPN says - they credit him w 6 boards vs LLvll.

His season (and I'd assume career - checked, it's a tie w 6 vs FSU last year) high.
Prior best this season was 5 vs. Chaminade.

Maliq had 9. Because that's what he does.

The last 3 games Chris had 3, 3, and 6 boards.
But also in 36, 37, 33 minutes.

Prior 3 games were: 0, 0, 2.
In 25, 15, 21 minutes.

A Forward getting 30+ minutes really needs to be pulling down 4-5+ boards every game.
Let's hope he builds on his efforts of late.

Same shooting ability, higher percentage of good quality looks.
Recipe for success. Good looks have been hard to come by at Syracuse for a number of years.

Competed last night. Only 3 boards but he battled, played aggressive D and mixed it up in the paint.

I don’t know who lit a fire under him but that was a glimpse into the more well-rounded player he could be in the future.
He has been doing that last 3-4 games. Now if he can keep up the effort when he isnt making shots, then we aremaking big strides. Next year i can see JJ, Cope, Chris, Brown, snd a new center with Mccloud , Freeman, and Moore off bench with Taylor spot time. I would really enjoy that team. Bell will need to improve his handle a bit because next year i can see teams over defend him outside and he can drive and pullup at 10 ft or so.

Since the horrible Gonzaga game, Bell is shooting just over 43% from 3 on nearly 6 attempts per game over a 20 game period. He still has a ways to go in becoming a complete player but you’ve gotta give a kid with that kind of shooting ability a shot to straighten things out. I was firmly in the camp that I wouldn’t have minded if he transferred earlier in the year. Now, I’d be pretty bummed with what he’s shown the last few weeks.

He has been doing that last 3-4 games. Now if he can keep up the effort when he isnt making shots, then we aremaking big strides. Next year i can see JJ, Cope, Chris, Brown, snd a new center with Mccloud , Freeman, and Moore off bench with Taylor spot time. I would really enjoy that team. Bell will need to improve his handle a bit because next year i can see teams over defend him outside and he can drive and pullup at 10 ft or so.
Wow i forgot about Chance. we will be stacked if we get a decent center. Damn. all Jr.s.

It's fun riding this wave of optimism, but let's watch a few more games before we pronounce the old Chris Bell a thing of the past. It was, what, last week when he was mentioned as not having a place on this team going forward? The impact of Benny's departure, or the big win against UNC, or a change in Red's approach could have an impact individually or collectively on Chris...or it's coincidence. We need more data, but I hope that the sentiments expressed in this thread are realized. He clearly has potential, if he can just get out of his own way.

What!? Now, you can't expect the Orange faithful here to be anymore level headed than Wes Hightower was to being faithful to Sissy in 'Urban Cowboy.' ;):)

It’s almost as if he’s just a sophomore, still learning to compete at this level. It takes some guys longer than others.
Was going to post similar. Bell's development could be "old school" where a kid stays for 3-4 years and turns into a very good to great player as an upper classman. Hopefully, he stays and continues his upward trajectory we've seen the last few games.

Where'd the "he's only starting because his dad works with Jay-Z" crowd go?

*Raises hand*

Was 100% true last year. Not sure this is the gotcha you think.

He's improved his defense and rebounding as the season as gone on. YET It's still below average. Still would like to see him progress here.

Also the rumors were not unfounded at all:

Competed last night. Only 3 boards but he battled, played aggressive D and mixed it up in the paint.

I don’t know who lit a fire under him but that was a glimpse into the more well-rounded player he could be in the future.
That is all we can ask for. He may never be Karl Malone on the boards but he is improving. What a gorgeous jump shot. He always seems to get a block or two also. Some good hustle and improving D. Kudos to Chris for working hard.

*Raises hand*

Was 100% true last year. Not sure this is the gotcha you think.

He's improved his defense and rebounding as the season as gone on. YET It's still below average. Still would like to see him progress here.
Well, IMO it was a ridiculous take to begin with that has certainly not aged well. I'll give you props for owning up to it. As a sophomore, I hope that he, as well as the others continue to work to improve their games.

Well, IMO it was a ridiculous take to begin with that has certainly not aged well. I'll give you props for owning up to it. As a sophomore, I hope that he, as well as the others continue to work to improve their games.
I hope you say the same to Jake who basically confirmed it. It wasn't a take.

I hope you say the same to Jake who basically confirmed it. It wasn't a take.
Bell earned his minutes as a freshman regardless of whether or not something on the side got him the starting spot. He fully deserves the starting spot this year. Even if it is 100% true that he secured the official starting spot because of some off the court stuff, he still earned the minutes he played as a freshman. There is a reason he played more than his small-forward competition last season and wasn't taken out immediately like a Dajuan Coleman type starter. He was the better player. While I am overall a bigger fan of Q if we are ranking forwards this season, Bell has continued to fully earn the minutes and starting role he has received. I am sure we can agree there.

Bell earned his minutes as a freshman regardless of whether or not something on the side got him the starting spot. He fully deserves the starting spot this year. Even if it is 100% true that he secured the official starting spot because of some off the court stuff, he still earned the minutes he played as a freshman. There is a reason he played more than his small-forward competition last season and wasn't taken out immediately like a Dajuan Coleman type starter. He was the better player. While I am overall a bigger fan of Q if we are ranking forwards this season, Bell has continued to fully earn the minutes and starting role he has received. I am sure we can agree there.
Well, if it's 100% true, that would be the opposite of earning your mins.

He wasn't the better player last year. The numbers show that clearly. He was the worst defensive starting forward in the last 2-3 decades. That includes Jimmy Boeheim

This year he's been somewhat better, especially the last couple of games, but for the year he's still a negative on defense. And, still, he definitely should be the starter this year.

Again, I'm only responding to this because of the call out above. I'm not ragging on Chris, I'm been super positive on him throughout the year despite the continued lack of rebounds on the score sheet. But the rumor about Roc Nation was not unfounded. That's the point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom