Chris Bell.. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bell..

I hate that these threads end up with an argument over a player. Bell is playing much better the last few games, it is great to see. I hope he continues to not only play this well, but get better.

Well, if it's 100% true, that would be the opposite of earning your mins.

He wasn't the better player last year. The numbers show that clearly. He was the worst defensive starting forward in the last 2-3 decades. That includes Jimmy Boeheim

This year he's been somewhat better, especially the last couple of games, but for the year he's still a negative on defense. And, still, he definitely should be the starter this year.

Again, I'm only responding to this because of the call out above. I'm not ragging on Chris, I'm been super positive on him throughout the year despite the continued lack of rebounds on the score sheet. But the rumor about Roc Nation was not unfounded. That's the point.
Could you convince me that Jim Boeheim started a guy because of some connection with something or other off court - Maybe but like barely. Could you convince me that Boeheim played a guy for extended minutes all because of some off court connection and not his quality of play. Honestly my answer is hell no. Occams Razor or what have you man. Most simple reason is probably it - the OTHER OPTIONS for that 3 spot were also trash!

I hate that these threads end up with an argument over a player. Bell is playing much better the last few games, it is great to see. I hope he continues to not only play this well, but get better.
My bad. Sensitive topic for me since plenty here would treat you with a dismissive attitude if you tried to say anything nice about the guy preseason and early on this season. Would happily go back to praising the guy that has saved our butts in several games.

My bad. Sensitive topic for me since plenty here would treat you with a dismissive attitude if you tried to say anything nice about the guy preseason and early on this season. Would happily go back to praising the guy that has saved our butts in several games.
We all get overly critical of some players and over praise others. I have said it before, I didn't think Bell was very good, that is my opinion. But, I have been really impressed the last few games. His effort is really good. I think he is learning what kind of effort you need to put in night in and night out at this level. Btw, not your bad, it's a message board. It provokes discussion.

Well, if it's 100% true, that would be the opposite of earning your mins.

He wasn't the better player last year. The numbers show that clearly. He was the worst defensive starting forward in the last 2-3 decades. That includes Jimmy Boeheim

This year he's been somewhat better, especially the last couple of games, but for the year he's still a negative on defense. And, still, he definitely should be the starter this year.

Again, I'm only responding to this because of the call out above. I'm not ragging on Chris, I'm been super positive on him throughout the year despite the continued lack of rebounds on the score sheet. But the rumor about Roc Nation was not unfounded. That's the point.
I guess I'm still confused by how a player's father's occupation has anything to do with playing time?

I apologize. My intent was not to derail the thread.

I believe the thinking is that his father has influence in the recruiting world. Don't want to get on his bad side.
So, if his son was beaten out for a starting role his fragile ego would take it out on Boeheim and his sons? That seems like quite the indictment of his father, Boeheim and Autry. I'm not saying that it couldn't be true, just that I'd be surprised.

So, if his son was beaten out for a starting role his fragile ego would take it out on Boeheim and his sons? That seems like quite the indictment of his father, Boeheim and Autry. I'm not saying that it couldn't be true, just that I'd be surprised.
I didn't say I believed it. Just what I thought the thinking was.

And against Louisville he had a shocking 9 rebounds (to go along with those 30 points). He definitely seems to be mixing it up a little more on the glass.
That’s one thing I personally never complained about with Joe. He’s been Rodmanesque compared to other guards he played with.

Uh, that's not what ESPN says - they credit him w 6 boards vs LLvll.

His season (and I'd assume career - checked, it's a tie w 6 vs FSU last year) high.
Prior best this season was 5 vs. Chaminade.

Maliq had 9. Because that's what he does.

The last 3 games Chris had 3, 3, and 6 boards.
But also in 36, 37, 33 minutes.

Prior 3 games were: 0, 0, 2.
In 25, 15, 21 minutes.

A Forward getting 30+ minutes really needs to be pulling down 4-5+ boards every game.
Let's hope he builds on his efforts of late.
I remember watching the broadcast and it showed that Bell had 9 boards. Maybe it was wrong. I was shocked though he did rebound well that game.

Somehow three days ago the team was getting three portal plays this April, but no one wants to replace any of the starting lineup. :rolleyes:
I think we need to replace Judah with someone from the portal and then Freeman takes Taylor’s spot. I really want Red to bring someone in to compete with Bell for the sf job. Bell has been impressive lately but I worry whether he will truly put it all together and think we should bring in an alternative that can compete with him and push him. I know a lot of people want us to pick up a portal center but I don’t see it happening. Maliq has held his own against the best centers in the ACC and if he puts on another 15 pounds this off-season I don’t envision it being too much of an issue even against the skilled 7 footers that we face on occasion.

It's fun riding this wave of optimism, but let's watch a few more games before we pronounce the old Chris Bell a thing of the past. It was, what, last week when he was mentioned as not having a place on this team going forward? The impact of Benny's departure, or the big win against UNC, or a change in Red's approach could have an impact individually or collectively on Chris...or it's coincidence. We need more data, but I hope that the sentiments expressed in this thread are realized. He clearly has potential, if he can just get out of his own way.
His next box out will be his first

Still say, JJ, Cope at guard, freshman Moore as backup, Bell, Brown, and unnamed dude at cemte plus freeman as 6 man hitting glass and f i n stuff up. westry, cuffe.

I would love Bell off the bench next year with specific instruction to let it fly every time you touch it - and when he's en fuego he gets lots of minutes. But I don't think he would buy in to that. So I assume that means we won't get a stud wing.

Bell already tries to shoot every time he touches the ball just as JT tries to pass every time. I'd like to see more assists from them.

No, don't apologize. It's a message board. My point is just that it polarizes people a bit. We are all Syracuse fans. We all want Chris Bell to become the best player he can be.
Could it possibly be that Chris is becoming that player, he is definitely getting better at the all- around game I don't think anyone has ever questioned his gorgeous looking jump shot even when he had an off night I wanted him to shoot. The old addage shooters gotta shoot. IT IS AMAZING TO ME HOW MUCH BETTER THE TEAM IS WHEN HE IS SCORING.

The question that needs to be answered is if we are comfortable with Chris Bell being our starting SF going into next season. His shot is elite. It's everything else that needs to be answered.

How he finishes the season will answer whether or not we need to go after a wing in the portal to be a Top 25 team next year which should be our goal in Reds second season.

The last few games, announcers have mentioned that NBA scouts are impressed and intrigued by Chris's shooting. He has the size and shooting ability to be a 3 and D guy in the league. The 3 is there and he has time to improve on the D part. To me he is Duncan Robinson. Duncan's D is bad and after a nice run but not improving defensively, he was benched for a long time. He's been back in the rotation but I don't see where he's improving defensively.

The last few games, announcers have mentioned that NBA scouts are impressed and intrigued by Chris's shooting. He has the size and shooting ability to be a 3 and D guy in the league. The 3 is there and he has time to improve on the D part. To me he is Duncan Robinson. Duncan's D is bad and after a nice run but not improving defensively, he was benched for a long time. He's been back in the rotation but I don't see where he's improving defensively.
Take a look at their college stats. Robinson was light years better than Bell including on the defensive end of the court.

Bell has been good for a few games. I hope it continues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom