Chris Bell.. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bell..

but I think we've had major talent issues in recent years and pushing out decent players to make room for more question marks probably won't help in that regard.
Yes and talent evaluation is a big component of running a P5 high major basketball team. Holding on to projects and never recruiting over players who don't buy in or can't be as effective as needed is a good way to end up with a talent deficiency that lasts a decade and here we are. The big thing is what makes a "decent" player to build around? That why Red gets the big money and pressure.

Bell needs a veteran mentor. The whole team does. Unfortunately, that person doesn't exist. Cripe, Benny was the elder on the team - he was leading, but not in the right direction, by all accounts.

The fellas are just too immature. The worst thing is, I don't think they see their own shortcomings. But... how can they watch game film of themselves whining about a no call while the rest of their teammates are playing 4 on 5 on the other end of the court and not be like, "I look like a fool" and start to improve? Instead, it (whining, blaming others) seems contagious.

Can veteran leadership come from the portal?
Good post that continues the constant cry for ANY leadership on this team. The combination of immaturity and players in and out of hero ball mode is a bad sign when we hit rough spots during any game. We just are a rudderless boat afloat on the basketball court. Fingers crossed for tonight!!

Three things re Maliq and the O:

He barely ever has plays run for him

Our guards besides Q can’t hit a roll guy in traffic

Maliq’s perfect spot is the dunker spot which he can’t play bc we’re starting a mix and match team right now.

Maliq’s perfect spot is the dunker spot which he can’t play bc we’re starting a mix and match team right now.
I agree with all of this, but I wouldn't mind more assertiveness and selfishness from him.

He doesn't really call for the ball. I don't think it's his mentality.

But I'd be willing to roll the dice on giving Maliq room to try some stuff, as opposed to, say, chucking up a bunch of threes.

I agree with all of this, but I wouldn't mind more assertiveness and selfishness from him.

But I'd be willing to roll the dice on giving Maliq room to try some stuff, as opposed to, say, chucking up a bunch of threes.
Thank you..he needs to demand the ball but like you said it’s not his personality/mentality. Hopefully it comes with his progression as a hooper. I think he’ll get there. Hopefully it’s at Syracuse

Why? He shoots them at a better clip than our so-called marksmen.

Agree. We have a number of needs but the most acute one is for veteran leadership.

There is no one who can take over during key moments of the game and make good decisions.

Maliq could be someday but is so limited offensively at this point he really can't do it.

It is a shame because we had three seniors returning that all would have helped here greatly.

But Jesse, Joe and yes, even Symir are elsewhere, doing senior things for other programs.

If this was a experiment to see what would happen when you put a group of sophomores and a head case junior together with a first time head coach, it turns out this will yield disappointing results.

An veteran guard who can play good man defense and run the offense would be awesome.

A veteran forward who can defend/rebound/score would be great. It seems like forever since we had a guy who can do everything you want a forward to do. Donnie is going to be that guy but it would be nice to have a forward on the roster to help him.

A center who can rebound and play man defense would also be a god send.
Jesse was hurt half the year and they'll barely win 10 games. Probably one of the worst seasons ever for WVU, that's more on Huggie bear though.

Girard is shooting awesome on a team of Super Seniors at Clemson, where he's like the 3rd or 4th best player.

I hope Torrence is doing well for the Binghamton but they're not 500 either.

Jesse was hurt half the year and they'll barely win 10 games. Probably one of the worst seasons ever for WVU, that's more on Huggie bear though.

Girard is shooting awesome on a team of Super Seniors at Clemson, where he's like the 3rd or 4th best player.

Girard is better than you give him credit for Clemson
2nd in scoring - 15.6 point/gm
1st in 3 point shooting .434
1st in free throw% .942
2nd in the most free throws attempted -3.5/gm
3rd in rebounds - 3.5/gm
1st in assists - 3/gm
1st in assist/turnover -1.9gm
Behind Hall, he’s probably the most impactful player they have.

We still could have benefitted from Jesse too with his 14.8 points/gm, .589 shooting%, 1.6 blocks/gm and 8 rebounds/gm even if he missed games here for injury like he has for WVU.

Symir would have continued to be a bench player with spot duty for his ball handling and assists but wouldn’t really be a factor regarding him scoring. Glad he’s starting for Binghamton and doing what he does best - facilitating others.

All water over the dam but no need to denigrate former SU players either. We lost quite a bit of experience.

1st in free throw% .942
3rd in rebounds - 3.5/gm
1st in assists - 3/gm

We still could have benefitted from Jesse too with his 14.8 points/gm, .589 shooting%, 1.6 blocks/gm and 8 rebounds/gm even if he missed games here for injury like he has for WVU.

Symir would have continued to be a bench player with spot duty for his ball handling and assists but wouldn’t really be a factor regarding him scoring. Glad he’s starting for Binghamton and doing what he does best - facilitating others.

All water over the dam but no need to denigrate former SU players either. We lost quite a bit of experience.
Theoretically Cuse could have had Richmond, Girard, Guerrier, and Edwards as starters. Really interesting to look back on the last few seasons.

I wish we would not high screen with Maliq. We are not hitting him on the roll. He ends up out of prime rebounding/dunking position and it brings the opposing big into the lane, clogging up any drive space the screen would have potentially created.
If he "pops" he's not a threat to shoot (although his 3 pointers have demonstrated a pretty nice follow through) and again, the opposing big is in the paint clogging things up.
(I have generally felt the same in other years too for the same reasons. I'd rather screen with a guard who can roll and then screen opposite or can pop for a jumper). I probably am wrong, but that's what I see.

1st in free throw% .942
3rd in rebounds - 3.5/gm
1st in assists - 3/gm

You are correct in Joe’s assessment. He is currently 8th in the country in 3pt% and 3rd in the country in FT%, all while still being face guarded lots of times by far superior athletes.

Theoretically Cuse could have had Richmond, Girard, Guerrier, and Edwards as starters. Really interesting to look back on the last few seasons.
After Kadary’s freshman year, I was hoping for Joe to slide to the 2 and Buddy the 3, while Kadary was the lead PG. just on the offensive end.

On the defensive end, Buddy slid down a bunch of times during the year to spell one of the forwards. But if he wasn’t a strong enough person to bang for some rebounds down low over the entire course of the year, than heck put Kadary on that spot of the zone and keep Joe and Buddy up top. Not ideal, but I guarantee you our offense would have been lethal with those 3 plus Jesse down low! Oh what could have been……

They would all have helped us. Fact.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

So, back to Bell. An incredible 1st half against NC State, but then disappeared in the 2nd. I don't think he even tried a shot for about the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half. Something that bugged me toward the end of the game, Autry is talking to the team during a time out with about 1:40 left in the game. Whatever Autry said, Bell turns away from the huddle and rolls his eyes right in front of a TV camera. I mean, just grow up already!

So, back to Bell. An incredible 1st half against NC State, but then disappeared in the 2nd. I don't think he even tried a shot for about the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half. Something that bugged me toward the end of the game, Autry is talking to the team during a time out with about 1:40 left in the game. Whatever Autry said, Bell turns away from the huddle and rolls his eyes right in front of a TV camera. I mean, just grow up already!
He battled out there but we didn't run anything for him. Plus we didn't have many transition opportunities in the 2nd half to get him good looks. But, regardless, it wasn't a good look from a kid who was lights out. He still needs to be part of the team.

How many times did JJ or Judah pass the ball to Bell in the first 8 minutes of the second half? They didn’t. Then he got that one shot off a screen with about 11 minutes left. Once the game was tight, JJ tried to give it to Bell twice both times too late and threw it out of bounds. I can’t remember Judah looking for Bell the whole entire second half. We’ve got some talented players, but most of them have no idea how to play team basketball. That goes for Bell as well. You have to know they’re gonna change the defense on you in the second half. Have to do something else to get open or diversify your offense. At the very least run around and make them chase you, so they’re tired and your teammates have more opportunity.

It’s really pretty amazing. That red has managed to get 17 wins with this group.

I probably would have rolled my eyes too if the call was more 3 man ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom