Christian Watford | Syracusefan.com

Christian Watford

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
Good player. 6'8 230. Shoots 48% from 3. Can make the big shot a la vs Kentucky last year. Gotta find this guy as I bet they move him around. They can shred M2M defense but our zone should be able to negate some of the athleticism of Oladipo and Watford. If we can hold up dealing with Zeller 1 on 1 and get out on all their shooters then we should be OK. I would say offensively they most resemble a better shooting Louisville team. An unselfish passing team as well as evident by their 5th in the country offensive efficiency ranking. This is such a great matchup!

The X-factor, IMO.
They'll try 3 players at the foul line: Oladipo, Sheehey, and Watford.
Watford is the one I'd worry about the most. He's a senior, calm, and performs under pressure.
Also, a double high-low set using Watford and Zeller, where he has the option to pass to the wings, dump it down, or take the mid-range, will be the thing we HAVE to be able to defend.
If we bring our A-game we can beat anybody. LGO

Something to keep an eye on with Watford: inside the 3 point line, he shoots 38%. 48% from 3. Doesn't sound like he's comfortable playing at the free throw line even though he's logically their best candidate to do a good job there.

He also completely vanishes. Makes boneheaded plays. I have that one annoying IU friend that I argue with on a regular basis. Hes pretty knowledgable, flies to their games etc. He can't stand Watford. Fwiw

He's also softer than single ply toilet paper that's soaked in the middle of Lake Onondaga.

Also, just glancing at his game log, against some of the good competition they've faced this year:
Georgetown: 0/6 from 2, 3/4 from 3, 1 assist, 0 turnovers
UNC: 1/6 from 2, 0/3 from 3, 1 assist, 2 turnovers
Butler: 1/4 from 2, 0/1 from 3
Minn: 2/8 from 2, 2/3 from 3, 0 assists, 3 turnovers
Wisconsin: 2/5 from 2, 1/3 from 3, 0 assists, 1 turnover
Mich State: 4/6 from 2, 1/3 from 3, 0 assists, 3 turnovers
Mich: 3/5 from 2, 1/2 from 3, 2 assists, 2 turnovers
Illinois: 2/5 from 2, 2/6 from 3, 0 assists, 6 turnovers
Ohio State: 2/6 from 2, 4/5 from 3, 1 assist, 1 turnover
Mich State: 2/5 from 2, 2/4 from 3, 2 assists, 2 turnovers
Minn: 1/2 from 2, 2/3 from 3,
Ohio State: 2/5 from 2, 2/5 from 3, 0 assists, 2 turnovers
Mich: 0/6 from 2, 1/1 from 3, 1 assist, 0 turnovers
Illinois: 1/3 from 2, 2/3 from 3, 0 assists, 2 turnovers
Wisconsin: 3/5 from 2, 2/4 from 3, 0 assists, 3 turnovers
Temple: 2/5 from 2, 0/2 from 3, 2 assists, 0 turnovers

34% from 2; 59% from 3; 9 assists to 27 turnovers (that is unbelievably bad); Indiana was 10-6 in these games.

If we can just close out and force him to put it on the floor, we should be alright in regards to him. He's not very athletic and is similar to Southerland in the sense that he's a lights out shooter but if you force him to put the ball on the ground, he isn't comfortable anymore. I think he'll struggle at the top of the zone if we put some pressure on him.

so in a way watford is a lot like dirty just not as athletic

Basically he is Indy's version of James Southerland.

not worried about him. if he's their x factor we win. in the temple game he wanted no part of the ball down the stretch. and the couple shots he did take weren't even close.

IU fans want him at the highpost area. He doesn't strike me as a guy who would get it there and make a quick smart decision. He's a great shooter, but we have to make him beat us elsewhere

IU fans want him at the highpost area. He doesn't strike me as a guy who would get it there and make a quick smart decision. He's a great shooter, but we have to make him beat us elsewhere

Maybe high-low from him to Zeller? We'll see.

Watford can be unbelievably frustrating to IU fans, me included. For whatever reason he only seems into the game about half the time. Many people think he's the x-factor because when he's on and engaged, he can be the best player on the court. Last year's Sweet 16 game versus Kentucky is a prime example. Watford was everywhere, and very aggressive, and sweating balls on the court. A lot of IU fans and unbiased fans alike came away from that game saying Watford was the best player on the court that day. If only UK wouldn't have shot 35-37 from the line...

But usually he decides he just wants to shoot 3s and stand around.

Watford can be unbelievably frustrating to IU fans, me included. For whatever reason he only seems into the game about half the time. Many people think he's the x-factor because when he's on and engaged, he can be the best player on the court. Last year's Sweet 16 game versus Kentucky is a prime example. Watford was everywhere, and very aggressive, and sweating balls on the court. A lot of IU fans and unbiased fans alike came away from that game saying Watford was the best player on the court that day. If only UK wouldn't have shot 35-37 from the line...

But usually he decides he just wants to shoot 3s and stand around.
Is he usuallylazy on offense? Do you think he;s the type that if he misses his first few shots against the zone he'll start getting lazy and disinterested?

Is he usuallylazy on offense? Do you think he;s the type that if he misses his first few shots against the zone he'll start getting lazy and disinterested?

I'm not sure what sets him off. He has consistently rebounded the ball well this year, but everything else is sporadic it seems. I think he's the type that relishes playing well against the guy across from him, especially when that player is highly regarded. It's like an underdog thing maybe.

IF------------"IF" CW brings his "A" game, Indiana wins. When he plays at a high level, i.e. UK games last year, Indiana is very, very---Very good, but......He more often than not doesn't bring that energy. He has been a very frustrating player b/c when he is "on"---Wow. If CW is rebounding, playing hard, not forcing and plays within his self, well it just makes Indiana so much better.

Tho different position, Triche is much the same for us...

Can be the best player on the court and can completely disappear or make repeated boneheaded mistakes with the ball leading to runouts...

He has been frustrating for us as well.

Hopefully Good Brandon is on display tonight...

Tho different position, Triche is much the same for us...

Can be the best player on the court and can completely disappear or make repeated boneheaded mistakes with the ball leading to runouts...

He has been frustrating for us as well.

Hopefully Good Brandon is on display tonight...
If he's not, it willbe his last game in Orange I'm afraid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom