CJ cannot keep having games of 8 and 6 | Syracusefan.com

CJ cannot keep having games of 8 and 6

Gabjon

All American
It is just not good enough. We lost our 4 top guys from last year and CJ as a junior must step up his game or we will not be an elite team this year. If this team is MCW and James Southerland show forget about a FF4. Triche even though he had a bad game is attacking, CJ is not attacking enough and not quick enough when he does. With Jame and MCW getting the attention that they are getting it should free CJ up to win his match-up. He is not making enough plays 8pt 6rebs in 31 mins is not enough activity. Roc had 7pts and 8rebs in 19mins, and he wasn't great either. CJ is a junior who has played the second most minutes on the team coming into the year he has to do more. Last years number just aren't good enough.

That comeback last night came when CJ came in for James with around 4:30 left. Detroit sagged off of CJ played MCW and Triche tight and we didn't score 4 or 5 times down the court. CJ needs to make a play in that situation and he didn't. JB put James back in the game he missed a wide open 3 but he spaced the floor and MCW was able to get in the lane and draw fouls.

The ball is sticking with one player this year. CJ is not a catch and shoot guy. He needs time to work his matchup and make his move. MCW seems more interested in finding shooters on the perimeter and not looking down low as much.

I think CJ has done a good job hanging in, playing defense and grabbing boards. His offense will come...

He is not an Iso player. Look I'm not trying to gang on CJ but if you look at the roster and say who needs to step up their game to make us great CJ is number one on my list. OOC schedule is almost over it needs to happen now. By the way CJ did finish with his right hand in the first half which I was happy to see and it shows growth, but he is not being aggressive enough. A bad play comes from trying to make a play, but if you don't try to make a play you make NO PLAYS! He needs to flash hard catch the ball and make a move and live with the results! He can't be quiet out there.

yeah he still just seems a bit out of it. really really hoping he turns it on soon

why not? 8 and 6 on an off night is a very solid contribution from the guy who is usually going to be the 4th option on offense. He has the capability to put up 17 and 10 when the defense opens up for him, but he's never going to be the kind of guy who does that night in and night out.

CJ is the least of this team's worries

CJ is the least of this team's worries
This is just not true.
It's pretty clear that he's just not himself. If that continues into BE games, it's a sizable worry.

This is just not true.
It's pretty clear that he's just not himself. If that continues into BE games, it's a sizable worry.

when he's on the floor, he's rarely ever more than the 4th option, so any expectation that he is going to score in bunches is just unfounded.

his rebounding numbers are down a bit because SU is rebounding better as a team - he is losing opportunities to his teammates (SU is ranked 15th in offensive and 119th in defensive rebounding - compared to 33rd and 341st last year)

the only thing I am moderately concerned about are the turnovers

when he's on the floor, he's rarely ever more than the 4th option, so any expectation that he is going to score in bunches is just unfounded.

his rebounding numbers are down a bit because SU is rebounding better as a team - he is losing opportunities to his teammates (SU is ranked 15th in offensive and 119th in defensive rebounding - compared to 33rd and 341st last year)

I guess I'm more looking at his energy and body language—and toughness on the ball, for that matter. He's just been out of it for the most part.
I agree, though, he'll usually be the 4th option on offense.

Moqui, you are not concerned with our lack of a back-to-the-basket scorer? That was one of your concerns last year. What has changed? DC is green as grass and continues to put the ball on the deck to his detriment. He's struggling with his post moves and body control and has some really bad habits when he gets the ball inside. Do you think Roc is the answer? Baye is Baye. Love him but he is who he is.

Moqui, you are not concerned with our lack of a back-to-the-basket scorer? That was one of your concerns last year. What has changed? DC is green as grass and continues to put the ball on the deck to his detriment. He's struggling with his post moves and body control and has some really bad habits when he gets the ball inside. Do you think Roc is the answer? Baye is Baye. Love him but he is who he is.

this post was about CJ . . . I am not concerned about him. His all around game is still solid, he still has the ability to exploit certain defenses for 15 to 18 points, he still has a nose for rebounds.

to your question: I still think that, by March, Syracuse will have the best frontcourt in the nation. I think that both Roc and DC will be effective low post scorers by the end of the year.

the Orange might drop five to seven games in the interim, but at the end of the regular season I think it will be a well oiled rotation: BMK for defense, Roc & DC for interior scoring - and all three of them for very effective rebounding. We'll have CJ for slashing and put backs, and we'll have James to stretch opposing defenses.

8 and 6 is not a horrible contribution. Fair has been a consistent hard worker for the past 2 years, providing solid stats. I think that some of the perception that he is underperforming stems from Southy's offensive break-out, Rak's improvement around the rim and BK's improved game in general. I'd like to see CJ elevate his game and I believe he's capable of it but to me he is the basketball equivalent of "Steady" Eddie McCaffrey. CJ's stats rarely jump off the page but when we need a rebound, he goes and gets it. If we need a basket, he's there and if we need FTs, he knocks them down. We have not seen many critical situations yet this season but I'll be happy to see CJ in the game as those opportunities present themselves.

this post was about CJ . . . I am not concerned about him. His all around game is still solid, he still has the ability to exploit certain defenses for 15 to 18 points, he still has a nose for rebounds.

to your question: I still think that, by March, Syracuse will have the best frontcourt in the nation. I think that both Roc and DC will be effective low post scorers by the end of the year.

the Orange might drop five to seven games in the interim, but at the end of the regular season I think it will be a well oiled rotation: BMK for defense, Roc & DC for interior scoring - and all three of them for very effective rebounding. We'll have CJ for slashing and put backs, and we'll have James to stretch opposing defenses.
I appreciate your optimism but you think DC2 will break his bad habits and develop a post move or 2 during the season? Roc has shown improvement but I'm concerned about his tendency to be too passive and disappear for long stretches.

I actually thought CJ played pretty well. It's become obvious that he's not a "demand the ball" guy. He's an opportunist who has a knack for being where the ball winds up and works his game off of that. When he tries to be a "star" is when he plays poorly.

CJ averaged 5.4 rebs and 8.5pts in 26 mins last year. These numbers include BE play, and he is putting up similar numbers in a weak OOC schedule and you are not worried? We were out rebounded against Detroit! He has to take more of a role on this team. The notion he is the 4th option is a product of him not doing enough, its a motion offense there are a few plays called for James and few called for the bigs (Roc or DC2) and the rest are sets motion sets. We need him to average 12 and 7 during BE play, and he is not close to that rest now. Why are you expecting the underclassmen to step up but the upperclassmen does not?

CJ averaged 5.4 rebs and 8.5pts in 26 mins last year. These numbers include BE play, and he is putting up similar numbers in a weak OOC schedule and you are not worried? We were out rebounded against Detroit! He has to take more of a role on this team. The notion he is the 4th option is a product of him not doing enough, its a motion offense there are a few plays called for James and few called for the bigs (Roc or DC2) and the rest are sets motion sets. We need him to average 12 and 7 during BE play, and he is not close to that rest now. Why are you expecting the underclassmen to step up but the upperclassmen does not?

the Detroit game was a fluke - Syracuse has been a much improved rebounding team this season (15th in offensive and 119th in defensive vs. 33rd and 341st last year - and we were in the lower 300s all through the pre-conference then, as well). CJ is the leading rebounder on a good rebounding team - that tells me more than his average does.

on offense, he's the fourth leading scorer - if you thought he was going to be higher in the pecking order than that, then your expectations were too high.

I find it hard to worry about simple averages on such a balanced team

the Detroit game was a fluke - Syracuse has been a much improved rebounding team this season (15th in offensive and 119th in defensive vs. 33rd and 341st last year - and we were in the lower 300s all through the pre-conference then, as well). CJ is the leading rebounder on a good rebounding team - that tells me more than his average does.

on offense, he's the fourth leading scorer - if you thought he was going to be higher in the pecking order than that, then your expectations were too high.

I find it hard to worry about simple averages on such a balanced team

He is a small forward/power forward in our system that is a scoring position always has been. Last years rebounding numbers only proves how over blown that stat is. If you are happy with the offense as it is than we will have to agree to disagree we are way too depended on two guys, and yes maybe I have higher expectations for CJ than you do, but answer me two questions:

A) are you happy with the half court offense? If no

B) who needs to step it up?

So is CJ slashing now?

I just don't think his ceiling is as high as other people think on here. I see him as a more of a role player and a 10/7 type guy. He is not 6-8 either which can hurt him down low banging with the big boys. He needs to really finish strong around the basket even on layups, imo. Go up with a purpose. I think just a normal CJ passive layup attempt ain't gonna cut it anymore. It will just get packed by the big boys. Just slash and get some putbacks/rebounds. Make some short jumpers. He dosn't have the skillset or quickness to be a good iso player, imo.

8 and 6 is not a horrible contribution. Fair has been a consistent hard worker for the past 2 years, providing solid stats. I think that some of the perception that he is underperforming stems from Southy's offensive break-out, Rak's improvement around the rim and BK's improved game in general. I'd like to see CJ elevate his game and I believe he's capable of it but to me he is the basketball equivalent of "Steady" Eddie McCaffrey. CJ's stats rarely jump off the page but when we need a rebound, he goes and gets it. If we need a basket, he's there and if we need FTs, he knocks them down. We have not seen many critical situations yet this season but I'll be happy to see CJ in the game as those opportunities present themselves.

That's the point he did none of this last night, and the game was on the line.

Per 40 minutes, last C.J. averaged 13 points, 8 reboudns, 1 assist, 2 steals and a block.
This year he is averaging 16 points, 9.5 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals and a block.

He started the year trying to be a "Star" and succeeded for about 5 minutes vs. SDS. But he struggled after that and has been playing better now that he's reverted to his former playing style.

CJ is fine. He is a big game player. He almost always shows up in a big game. just look at his numbers against some of the supposed tough competition. He is a guy I am confident in. On the other hand you never know if James is going to show up. He's all or nothing James. Thankfully with increased minutes he has been a little more on then off this year, but when it comes to who I am confident in when their is a big game I'll take CJ all the time. He has the tendency to be a bit passive in these stat games. He rebounds well, does the dirty work, and is killer in transition.