CJ needs to become a chucker if there is any hope. | Syracusefan.com

CJ needs to become a chucker if there is any hope.

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
Now I dont literally mean he should turn into Mookie and hurl up terrible shots to the bucket. What I really mean is the guy should be taking more shots, and more three pointers to boot. The offense should run through him. He needs to demand the ball and his teammates need to get it to him earlier in the shot clock, rather than as a third option. He is by far the best player on the team and at this point , its not really close.

Here is what he does well:

Mid range jumper: excellent.

Three point shooting: excellent but small sample size (42 percent on only 38 shots)

crafty moves around the rim. often leads to fouls which...

leads into his excellent FT percentage (82).

Hes solid on the boards although does at times get muscled over on the backside of the zone on the long missed shots .

Currently he has taken over 30 fewer shots than BT and hes taken just a few more shots than MCW. He needs to be the leading shot taker by a wide margin and it needs to start now if there is any hope for getting out of the first weekend.

he touches the ball on most half court possessions, but for whatever reason, he has not been shooting the ball during the final 10 minutes of close games.

Look at the last 3 losses:
UConn: 1 shot attempt in the last 10 minutes, a missed jumper at 7:23
GTown: 1 shot attempt between the 10 minute mark and the 2 minute mark, a miss at 6:52 (he did make one bucket at the 2 minute mark, SU down by 10 at that point
Marq: 1 shot attempt in the last 10:58, the late 3 pointer with 8 seconds left.

I think it is because well coached teams know how to defend him, but maybe he just doesn't have that gene.

We've seen the same pattern in all three recent losses: take away CJ's left hand, crowd James on the perimeter, ignore the center, and make the guards try to beat you.

so, you are right - he needs to shoot more, but in order to do so, he has to be willing to take shots that are outside his comfort zone. I applaud CJ for his shot selection - the strongest part of his game, IMO. Basketball is a pretty simple game - generally speaking, you win games by taking high percentage shots and making your opponents take lower percentage shots. But what is considered a low percentage shot during the first 35 minutes might be the best look you are going to get in the final five.

I agree and dont. Cj plays well in the flow of our offense. Hes not a scorer per se, but fills up the stat sheet. He is a smart player who knows what shots to take and when. He understands his strengths well. The answer to our offensive woes is not him shooting more its other players being more productive imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This team has its forwards on the perimeter shooting. It needs triche to shoot more in the lane and mike to drive more. or grant to step up in the paint, because cooney dc and rak are not ready to score.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom