Clark vs Reese equivalent to Bird vs Magic | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Clark vs Reese equivalent to Bird vs Magic

I've got pizza, wings, chips and dip and soda and four of my basketball playing daughters watching these two games tonight. It's like the Super Bowl for these girls. What a night for women's hoops.
Like this x 100! Watching it with my 2 daughters too. They play for the same AAU organization that Clark and 5 of the other current Hawkeyes play for.

Jim Boeheim said that there were only 2 players he paid to see on his own, not recruiting them - Pete Maravich and Caitlyn Clark when she played in Albany. He is singing her praises constantly.

What a horrible moment for her. Funny that someone who played in Storrs would make fun of Albany.
LOL…said the same thing When Lobo said that. She spent 4 years in Storrs and is making fun of Albany???

Caitlin Clark from Schenectady was the line of the night.

Women’s hoops is now must-see tv between Iowa, LSU, UConn, USC and South Carolina…

Looking just as forward to Friday as I am to Saturday.

Great game. We sat next to Iowa season ticket holders who were pretty passionate. LSU played hard. Just not hard enough to take Clark off her game. Iowa overall just played better. Crowd was 80% in favor of Iowa. Very disappointed in Mulkey staying pretty calm and wearing a very boring outfit. I wanted a show.

I watched South Carolina up close yesterday. I think Iowa is playing better.

What a horrible moment for her. Funny that someone who played in Storrs would make fun of Albany.
Weak broadcast all around.
Lobo wanted Iowa to start stall ball in Q3 for some reason.
Holly Rowe asks about LSUs "run" to close Q3, where they got it down to 11 from *check notes* 13.
The pbp dude trying to sell any drama w a minute left.
JV squad.

Weak broadcast all around.
Lobo wanted Iowa to start stall ball in Q3 for some reason.
Holly Rowe asks about LSUs "run" to close Q3, where they got it down to 11 from *check notes* 13.
The pbp dude trying to sell any drama w a minute left.
JV squad.
I usually like Ryan but it was clownish the way he had a full on stroke when Reese sprained her ankle. I thought a bomb was discovered in the arena.

“Oh my God! Oh No no no no no. This can’t be!!”

Reese checks back in 3 minutes later

Great game. We sat next to Iowa season ticket holders who were pretty passionate. LSU played hard. Just not hard enough to take Clark off her game. Iowa overall just played better. Crowd was 80% in favor of Iowa. Very disappointed in Mulkey staying pretty calm and wearing a very boring outfit. I wanted a show.

I watched South Carolina up close yesterday. I think Iowa is playing better.

Iowa had a huge flood back in 2008 which caused massive damage at the university. I’d managed a manufacturing plant that had severely flooded in 2006 which took millions of dollars and a couple months to get back up and running - as they were fundraising for repair work I sent in a donation with that story and said I loved their campus when I was there for the football game in 2007, and I had some idea how much hard work was ahead but that I wanted to help. I got several handwritten letters back from university employees which thanked me and said how much that meant to them, which I certainly didn’t expect but thought it said a lot about their character and the culture of the university. When the wave to the children’s hospital started in 2017, that reinforced what kind of culture exists there. I’ve always rooted for Iowa since that flood, I’ll certainly be cheering for them next weekend.

Hopefully your experience with Iowa fans was as positive as mine have been.

Midwest and/or Iowa nice aren’t just slogans. I grew up in Southern California, spent 6 years in Syracuse, 4 years in Gainesville, Fl and 5.5 years in Rochester MN before moving to the Iowa City area 11 years ago. I have met a lot of nice people wherever I’ve lived, but in general iowa might be the nicest. I think the easy (slower paced) style of living and smaller population helps create the overall ‘nice’ culture.

LOL…said the same thing When Lobo said that. She spent 4 years in Storrs and is making fun of Albany???

Caitlin Clark from Schenectady was the line of the night.

Women’s hoops is now must-see tv between Iowa, LSU, UConn, USC and South Carolina…

Looking just as forward to Friday as I am to Saturday.
Lobo was coached by Geno. Neither one will ever be invited to my kitchen. I despise everything to do with that program.

First time I've spent any serious time watching women's hoops.

Watching LSU-Iowa it struck me that they understand and execute fundamentals far better than the men typically do.
Caitlin Clark is amazing.
Range beyond Schenectady...maybe Mechanicville.
But her passing was really sensational.

Reese and LSU had great position for offensive boards.

Reese and the other bigs on LSU are overrated. They're big and athletic but nowhere near the generational talent and skill level of Clark and Bueckers.

I'm kinda curious about Reese's comments after the game - she was alleging a lot of potentially criminal behavior. Hopefully it wasn't blown off or minimized if she was reporting that to people within LSU (or the police) - I'm not sure what would possess anyone to threaten to kill someone, but you don't deserve to live freely in society if you do that.

Reese and the other bigs on LSU are overrated. They're big and athletic but nowhere near the generational talent and skill level of Clark and Bueckers.
I think Reese is fantastic. She took (and gave) a lot of punishment last night and got 17 and 20.
She is just a different player than Clark and Bueckers.

Iowa had a huge flood back in 2008 which caused massive damage at the university. I’d managed a manufacturing plant that had severely flooded in 2006 which took millions of dollars and a couple months to get back up and running - as they were fundraising for repair work I sent in a donation with that story and said I loved their campus when I was there for the football game in 2007, and I had some idea how much hard work was ahead but that I wanted to help. I got several handwritten letters back from university employees which thanked me and said how much that meant to them, which I certainly didn’t expect but thought it said a lot about their character and the culture of the university. When the wave to the children’s hospital started in 2017, that reinforced what kind of culture exists there. I’ve always rooted for Iowa since that flood, I’ll certainly be cheering for them next weekend.

Hopefully your experience with Iowa fans was as positive as mine have been.
The only thing I didn’t like about Iowa during my limited stays was the seemingly omnipresent convenience store, “Kum and Go.”

The only thing I didn’t like about Iowa during my limited stays was the seemingly omnipresent convenience store, “Kum and Go.”
If it’s the name you found bothersome, they’ll all change to Maverick this year. If it’s that they’re everywhere, that seems to be a Midwest thing - I don’t think I was ever out of sight of a Kwik Trip sign the entire time I lived in Wisconsin.

as far as importance of moving their respective sports into the limelight. Rivalries are always huge.

I’m thinking more about this…I think women’s college basketball is poised for big growth. Players are likely to stick around for four years to build a reputation and following, unlike the men’s game. Quality of play is solid, games are entertaining. I think that’ll continue to grow regardless - but this year was a huge boost.

I’m not sure we’ll ever see a Bird-Magic thing again, that was lightning in a bottle where a whole lot the players didn’t influence led to the rivalry having such an impact. But we should be able to tell from WNBA attendance and viewership if they increase interest in that league fairly quickly. Honestly I thought Sue Bird would have a bigger impact than she did (outside of Seattle), so I have no idea what to expect here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom