Clawson Signs Long Term Deal With WF | Syracusefan.com

Clawson Signs Long Term Deal With WF

Clawson might legitimately be one of the 10 or so best head coaches in the country. Good for Wake for extending him

I think a lot of good coaches are realizing they'd rather stay put at a program they built and a place that appreciates them rather than go to a factory with unreasonable expectations. The way TV money is distributed today, pretty much every P5 can afford to pay several million per year. No need to go to Ohio State to get paid anymore

Last edited:
At least WF recognizes it. In today’s climate, he’s lucky, good for him.

49-47 in eight years.

And, he’s 9-1 this year.

It takes time with certain programs.
Sure, but he went 8-5, 7-6, 8-5 and 7-6 in his 3rd through 6th seasons. Lots of evidence that he could keep Wake at least respectable for quite some time. If SU had been a 7/8 win team the past three years we’d all be having a much different conversation around here.

Sure, but he went 8-5, 7-6, 8-5 and 7-6 in his 3rd through 6th seasons. Lots of evidence that he could keep Wake at least respectable for quite some time. If SU had been a 7/8 win team the past three years we’d all be having a much different conversation around here.
Three bad seasons. One great season - this year - and a bunch of what were essentially .500 regular seasons.

He has had a decent run at Wake.

And, yes, Jim Grobe had a similar run at the school.

Three bad seasons. One great season - this year - and a bunch of what were essentially .500 regular seasons.

His bad seasons were at the start. They have been over .500 all but 2020 which they went 4-5, meaning with a normal schedule they are .500. How can you compare that to Dino with a straight face? Clawson didn't have his bad seasons in years 4-6.

His bad seasons were at the start. They have been over .500 all but 2020 which they went 4-5, meaning with a normal schedule they are .500. How can you compare that to Dino with a straight face? Clawson didn't have his bad seasons in years 4-6.
I never compared him to Babers.

He went 4-5 last season - had he played a full schedule he might have gone 4-8.

Clawson might legitimately be one of the 10 or so best head coaches in the country. Good for Wake for extending him

I think a lot of good coaches are realizing they'd rather stay put at a program they built and a place that appreciates them rather than go to a factory with unreasonable expectations. The way TV money is distributed today, pretty much every P5 can afford to pay several million per year. No need to go to Ohio State to get paid anymore
Bingo

Marrone went 8-5 twice and I don’t recall anyone calling them “essentially .500 regular seasons”.

I’m all for patience, but Clawson had a much longer run of sustained good performance, and did it earlier in his tenure, than our current HC (who has yet to do it, in year 6).

we played wake 6 times with Babers.. we are 2-4.. Should have won this year so 3-3.. then you had the monsoon game. they were better in 17 we were better in 18 we won in 19 and last year was just a lost cause. This year we were the better team but didnt win.

They have had a better run these last 6 but h2h not really any better a team. What they have had was a more consistent run of offense for sure.

Hmmm… so Clawson took over for Grobe, who had their program probably in better position than Schafer had SU when Babers took over?

we played wake 6 times with Babers.. we are 2-4.. Should have won this year so 3-3.. then you had the monsoon game. they were better in 17 we were better in 18 we won in 19 and last year was just a lost cause. This year we were the better team but didnt win.

They have had a better run these last 6 but h2h not really any better a team. What they have had was a more consistent run of offense for sure.
I'm guessing you mean we were the better team for most of that game, because we certainly aren't the better team overall this season. Also, one of those wins; was the Trill miracle play, not exactly the way most games get won. Plus, do to quirks of scheduling, have played them 3 years straight in the Dome.

Last edited:
I never compared him to Babers.

He went 4-5 last season - had he played a full schedule he might have gone 4-8.
No they wouldn’t lose to an FCS and a G5. So at worst they are 6-5 with one more P5 TBD. Still a Bowl season.

Edit

Actually they were 4-4 with a Bowl loss. Not counting that as a bad season sorry.

Last edited:
Hmmm… so Clawson took over for Grobe, who had their program probably in better position than Schafer had SU when Babers took over?
They were pretty much the same. Wake had 4 straight losing seasons without having to start their 3rd string QB. That is what Clawson took over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom