Clemson 4th down call right before halftime | Syracusefan.com

Clemson 4th down call right before halftime

Rocco

Watching you.
They were up 35-7 and they decide to go for it versus kick the FG. We stuffed their asses, but still pissed me off. I probably would've done the same thing if I were Dabo, but it still pissed me off along with my whole section.

I really like Shafer's fiery intensity on that play towards Dabo:

fucuse.gif

Although it bothered me as a fan there is no such thing as running up the score in the first half. It was actually a dumb coaching move more than anything.

They were up 35-7 and they decide to go for it versus kick the FG. We stuffed their asses, but still pissed me off. I probably would've done the same thing if I were Dabo, but it still pissed me off along with my whole section.

I really like Shafer's fiery intensity on that play towards Dabo:

fucuse.gif

How would you feel if we had took a knee? To me, that would be more embarrassing than somebody sticking it straight up your ass in your own house with nearly half a hundred at halftime.

How would you feel if we had took a knee? To me, that would be more embarrassing than somebody sticking it straight up your ass in your own house with nearly half a hundred at halftime.
kick the FG..nobody ever thought take a knee. water under the bridge though, we were dominated by a great team. On to NIT State

Although it bothered me as a fan there is no such thing as running up the score in the first half. It was actually a dumb coaching move more than anything.

+1

I was annoyed because it is obvious you take the points in that situation. I don't think Dabo was trying to run it up-- I think he wanted to seal the game-- but it was 4th & 5. Take your points and call it a day. Just seemed like a stupid decision, especially after you guys scored the first TD of the 2nd half. You made it a 3-score game-- had Dabo elected to kick, it would have been 4-scores. I know it doesn't matter, but in another game it could.

I thought we should have just kicked the field goal. After hearing Dabo explain why they went for it, I understand more. That being said, I still probably would've just kicked the field goal.

I heard 2nd hand... but wasnt his reasoning that if he didnt get it, that he would have us pinned back?

If thats actually what he said... that is insane. and i am dumber for having responded to your post.

LOL this is my first time seeing Shafer's reaction. Oh boy.

Thought it was an odd decision on Swinney's part but Shafer's reaction is even more odd and not something I want to see out of my head coach - especially down four touchdowns not even 30 mins into the game.

the issue would have really bit him in the Ass had we put those two drives in the endzone in the 3rd to make it a 35-28 game.. he kicks it and its probably game over.. we stop it and we get some momentum and it turned out we did..

even so if Boyd doesnt make a great throw we still were in the game late in the 3rd with all out screw ups.

I heard 2nd hand... but wasnt his reasoning that if he didnt get it, that he would have us pinned back?

If thats actually what he said... that is insane. and i am dumber for having responded to your post.
He said if we had kicked the field goal, then we would have had to kick the ball back to you all and he didn't want to risk a return for a TD and change the momentum of the game going into the second half. He said best case was we make the TD, worst case is that you all are pinned back.

clemson had ample reason to think it was the right percentage play. shafer probably thought it wasn't because he doesn't get this stuff. he probably thought it was a bush league roll of the dice shooting for the moon rather than the smart play

He said if we had kicked the field goal, then we would have had to kick the ball back to you all and he didn't want to risk a return for a TD and change the momentum of the game going into the second half. He said best case was we make the TD, worst case is that you all are pinned back.
that's the right way to think about it. the coaches who value field position above all else are usually the last ones to notice the difference between the other team getting the ball on the 5 after a failed conversion vs whatever field position they get after a kickoff

haha. wow. what a horrible rationale up 35-7 with 10 seconds to go. That is an outright lie - and you have to know that. it doesnt make any sense.

he could have just as easily kicked the fg and then try an onside kick and then throw a hail mary.

clemson had ample reason to think it was the right percentage play. shafer probably thought it wasn't because he doesn't get this stuff. he probably thought it was a bush league roll of the dice shooting for the moon rather than the smart play

ehh.. i dont think it was bush league... but it was meant to embarrass.

Im not mad about anything that happens in the 1st half - but it was not the smart percentage play especially up 35-7. thats legitimately insane.

im also not mad that we stopped them and shafer siad you dabo.

Yeah...agreed...that reaction, the no huddle and general strategy on O, and the 3 timeouts on D have me more concerned than what happened on the field

ehh.. i dont think it was bush league... but it was meant to embarrass.

Im not mad about anything that happens in the 1st half - but it was not the smart percentage play especially up 35-7. thats legitimately insane.

im also not mad that we stopped them and shafer siad you dabo.

It's in Clemson's best interest to win the game as fast as possible so their players don't get hurt and to show pollsters that they are very good.

If anything it might've helped to get our backbone up a bit.

The onsides kick and that were our welcome - no disrespect to the Big East - to the big time in 2013. We had some time off from that.

Personally I like HCSS's intensity but thought HCSS was over the top on this one. I doubt we see this again from him.

It's in Clemson's best interest to win the game as fast as possible so their players don't get hurt and to show pollsters that they are very good.

What are the stats on 4th and 5? Prob pretty bad... And certainly worse on 4th and goal from the 5.

And there isn't a huge difference b/w 38-7 and 42-7. But there is a huge difference between 38-7 and 35-7.

No matter the argument, it was a stupid play and we won that battle. They won the other 99 battles.

I didn't get to watch the game, but have been watching bits and pieces today.

At least now I know why Shafer was upset.

But now I wish I didn't know. We're the team that gets upset that the other coach might be running up the score. In the first half no less.

Might as well hire GRob to fix the pass defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

I had no problem with it. There were 14 seconds left. If SU stuffs them (like they did) we were just going to run the clock out.

If Clemson kicks a FG, whatever.

If Clemson gets the TD, they effectively finish the game at the half. It wasn't disrespectful because the reward far exceeded the risk.

if we had capitalized on the number of opportunities to close the gap to 14 pts or better it wouldn't be crossing anyones mind of the decision..

loved it. Love this coaches style. It will pay dividends big time in the big time one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom