Clemson outsider's take on your facilities debate (long) | Syracusefan.com

Clemson outsider's take on your facilities debate (long)

CUTIGER91

Walk On
Hi Cuse fans! I've been reading your board since it was announced you were joining the ACC.

Lately, I've read the raging debate / frustration over facilities, coaches, recruiting, etc. and thought I'd chime in with our experience with the same issue.

Back in the Tommy West years (1994 ish-1998) and the early Tommy Bowden years (1999-2002) we got a few 4-star guys, but never enough to build a solid program.

At that time, Tennessee was winning the NC by pillaging SC and NC for recruits right in our (and SC's) backyard (Shaun Ellis, Albert Hayneworth, etc) FSU would swoop in and steal a 4-star guy we thought we had at the last minute.

We had two main problems: 1) facilities that were once state-of-the-art and were severely lagging other ACC programs (not to mention the SEC) and 2) coaching staff.

But the root cause of both of these problems was our administration.

They held to the "it's good enough for 7-8 wins" philosophy b/c they, like a lot of academics, thought good sports programs and a respected university are mutually exclusive.

Bowden, like Marrone is doing at Cuse, pushed for facilities from day one and was promised they would be built as part of his hiring. Then they proceeded to drag their feet and were going to take some half-ass approach and cheap out like they always did. Luckily, at the same time, we hired Terry Don Phillips from OK St as our AD. He had his faults, but he was a major proponent of facilities and he changed the plan to the West Zone we have now.

He also rennovated our ancient basketball arena to put a some lipstick on the pig. It helped a litte and we had some good years under Purnell. It's still subpar and we don't have dedicated practice facilities. If they don't spend money soon, we'll lose Brad Brownell.

I saw in your debate on here that some were downplaying rennovating your locker rooms as unnecessary. DO IT! NOW! That's the first thing we did just to have something decent to show the kids as a placeholder until we could start building. It helped.

The first year the West Zone was being built, we had nothing to show recruits at all other than the spruced-up locker rooms, so Bowden had them tear up some dirt and park a bunch of construction equipment to look like it was in progress. Just that small perception impacted recruiting that year. We landed James Davis over some of the bigger programs.

Once the West Zone was complete, recruiting took off. James Davis helped land CJ Spiller who never would have come without the facilities to show commitment. It snowballed from there.

Our other problem was coaching salaries. Bowden never had enough to hire the best across the board. When Dabo took over, he wanted Ellis Johnson as his DC and EJ wanted to be at Clemson, but the admin wouldn't pony up and he ended up at our hated rival, SC.

What changed? We put major pressure on the Board of Trustees to re-emphasize football and commit to winning. We still didn't have a training table or an indoor practice facility until this year. We didn't have top-notch assistant coaches.

Fast forward to a few years ago and they approved paying Chad Morris $1.2MM and Venebles $800K, both of which are above what they refused to pay Ellis Johnson years earlier. We now have a training table in the West Zone and just opened an indoor facility.

It's no coincidence that it's the same time period we won the ACC for the first time in 20 years and went from 7-8 wins to 9-11 wins. It matters.

At Cuse right now, you are in the same boat. You have what looks to be a solid coach who can build your program back to what it used to be. Pay the man, pay for asst coaches, upgrade/ build facilities. If you pour money into it now, it will pay for itself and then some in the coming years.

I want Cuse to be good so we can make the ACC Atlantic like the SEC West.

Thoroughly enjoyed the WVU beatdown in the snow. Watched every snap. Great game!

Glad to have y'all in the conference and hope all the admin stuff works out for you.

Hi Cuse fans! I've been reading your board since it was announced you were joining the ACC.

Lately, I've read the raging debate / frustration over facilities, coaches, recruiting, etc. and thought I'd chime in with our experience with the same issue.

Back in the Tommy West years (1994 ish-1998) and the early Tommy Bowden years (1999-2002) we got a few 4-star guys, but never enough to build a solid program.

At that time, Tennessee was winning the NC by pillaging SC and NC for recruits right in our (and SC's) backyard (Shaun Ellis, Albert Hayneworth, etc) FSU would swoop in and steal a 4-star guy we thought we had at the last minute.

We had two main problems: 1) facilities that were once state-of-the-art and were severely lagging other ACC programs (not to mention the SEC) and 2) coaching staff.

They held to the "it's good enough for 7-8 wins" philosophy b/c they, like a lot of academics, thought good sports programs and a respected university are mutually exclusive.

Bowden, like Marrone is doing at Cuse, pushed for facilities from day one and was promised they would be built as part of his hiring. Then they proceeded to drag their feet and were going to take some half-ass approach and cheap out like they always did. Luckily, at the same time, we hired Terry Don Phillips from OK St as our AD. He had his faults, but he was a major proponent of facilities and he changed the plan to the West Zone we have now.

He also rennovated our ancient basketball arena to put a some lipstick on the pig. It helped a litte and we had some good years under Purnell. It's still subpar and we don't have dedicated practice facilities. If they don't spend money soon, we'll lose Brad Brownell.

I saw in your debate on here that some were downplaying rennovating your locker rooms as unnecessary. DO IT! NOW! That's the first thing we did just to have something decent to show the kids as a placeholder until we could start building. It helped.

The first year the West Zone was being built, we had nothing to show recruits at all other than the spruced-up locker rooms, so Bowden had them tear up some dirt and park a bunch of construction equipment to look like it was in progress. Just that small perception impacted recruiting that year. We landed James Davis over some of the bigger programs.

Once the West Zone was complete, recruiting took off. James Davis helped land CJ Spiller who never would have come without the facilities to show commitment. It snowballed from there.

Our other problem was coaching salaries. Bowden never had enough to hire the best across the board. When Dabo took over, he wanted Ellis Johnson as his DC and EJ wanted to be at Clemson, but the admin wouldn't pony up and he ended up at our hated rival, SC.

What changed? We put major pressure on the Board of Trustees to re-emphasize football and commit to winning. We still didn't have a training table or an indoor practice facility until this year. We didn't have top-notch assistant coaches.

Fast forward to a few years ago and they approved paying Chad Morris $1.2MM and Venebles $800K, both of which are above what they refused to pay Ellis Johnson years earlier. We now have a training table in the West Zone and just opened an indoor facility.

It's no coincidence that it's the same time period we won the ACC for the first time in 20 years and went from 7-8 wins to 9-11 wins. It matters.

At Cuse right now, you are in the same boat. You have what looks to be a solid coach who can build your program back to what it used to be. Pay the man, pay for asst coaches, upgrade/ build facilities. If you pour money into it now, it will pay for itself and then some in the coming years.

Thoroughly enjoyed the WVU beatdown in the snow. Watched every snap. Great game!

Glad to have y'all in the conference and hope all the admin stuff works out for you.
Great post...thanks

Awesome post! Thank you!

Were your upgrades paid for by donations or out of general/athletic funds already available. We've already been told by the BOT that any upgrades need to be significantly funded by donations before they occur. That's one of our biggest issues right now - no large donors.

Wow! I'm ready to go through a wall as if this was a halftime speech. WHERE DO I SEND MY DONATION? Let's pass a hat and get this goin!!!

Thanks for taking the time to share Clemson's experience with us in some details CUTIGER91. I've been looking forward to joining the ACC since the late 1990s, but I agree that if we don't plan to play for the ACC championship every year then we might as well join the Colonial Athletic Association.

Were your upgrades paid for by donations or out of general/athletic funds already available. We've already been told by the BOT that any upgrades need to be significantly funded by donations before they occur. That's one of our biggest issues right now - no large donors.

I don't remember all the exact figures, but it was funded through a capital campaign and incurring some debt. They specified that $x would be from raised capital and then they'd commit to debt for the rest. We have NO large donors, but some former players chipped in and IPTAY (our booster program) raised the rest.

Also, one of Terry Don's changes to the plan was to add all the club seating in the West Zone first to start generating extra revenue.

Part of our frustration was (unlike Maryland) we had/have almost no debt at all and the football program makes tons of $$, yet they didn't want or see the need to spend anything.

Wow! I'm ready to go through a wall as if this was a halftime speech. WHERE DO I SEND MY DONATION? Let's pass a hat and get this goin!!!
Seriously that brought tears to my eyes. Not that easy to get from point a to point b. However thats a great blueprint for success. Look for Clemson to be successful for the next 10 years as they are ahead of the curve.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Wonderful post. Kudos to Clemson as well for a great win over LSU. We're excited to be moving to the ACC and want our resurgence in football to grow and last. The video of the Clemson facilities that was posted here was impressive.

This is one of the best posts I have read in a long time. Never realized how similar our programs were. We are where you were years ago and Clemson as you are now is what alot of us are hoping to become. Again, the awesomeness of your post is off the charts.

Good perspective.

No matter which way this goes with Marrone, I think the school knows they have to step it up. Especially as we move to the ACC.

Great Post, Clemson is going to be my first ACC road trip, can't wait!

Someone email this post to the good Dr Gross
Don't you mean the Board of Trustees. Dr. Gross might have helped write that post. I'm sure he has a pretty good idea what needs to get done. At least I hope so.

Seriously that brought tears to my eyes. Not that easy to get from point a to point b. However thats a great blueprint for success. Look for Clemson to be successful for the next 10 years as they are ahead of the curve.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
We definitely aren't ahead of the curve. We just now caught up the the curve. We are competing against UGA, Auburn, UF, FSU for recruits and have been woefully behind in facilities for a long time. This is the reason that Clemson and FSU are so scared of the expansion and the TV $$$. The SEC already has more money and we can't let the gap get any wider.

I don't remember all the exact figures, but it was funded through a capital campaign and incurring some debt. They specified that $x would be from raised capital and then they'd commit to debt for the rest. We have NO large donors, but some former players chipped in and IPTAY (our booster program) raised the rest.

Also, one of Terry Don's changes to the plan was to add all the club seating in the West Zone first to start generating extra revenue.

Part of our frustration was (unlike Maryland) we had/have almost no debt at all and the football program makes tons of $$, yet they didn't want or see the need to spend anything.

You know, you just hit on another point that SU is at a disadvantage with - Stadium expansion (though based on our attendance, it wouldn't make sense right now). It's impossible. Where clemson was able to add club seating to generate revenue, I'm not sure how that would be possible in the dome.

We definitely aren't ahead of the curve. We just now caught up the the curve. We are competing against UGA, Auburn, UF, FSU for recruits and have been woefully behind in facilities for a long time. This is the reason that Clemson and FSU are so scared of the expansion and the TV $$$. The SEC already has more money and we can't let the gap get any wider.
Thanks and BTW, I see that Tajh Boyd's father says he is likely coming back next year. A lot could change but he could definitely be a front runner for the Heisman. I thought he had some great numbers this year, but not many people were on his bandwagon. His numbers weren't that far behind Johnny Football's.

Don't you mean the Board of Trustees. Dr. Gross might have helped write that post. I'm sure he has a pretty good idea what needs to get done. At least I hope so.
The board isnt just a bunch of people sitting in an office waiting for things to happen. Dr Gross can pass it along

We all know what the Melo center did for basketball recruiting... Seems so simple, we would not be losing out on recruits if we had top notch facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, you just hit on another point that SU is at a disadvantage with - Stadium expansion (though based on our attendance, it wouldn't make sense right now). It's impossible. Where clemson was able to add club seating to generate revenue, I'm not sure how that would be possible in the dome.
Rip off the roof...add 15k lego land style like pedstate and Mich did. Not that we needto expand.

Obviously, the school doesn't see the need to step it up. This has been going on for over 10 years. The universsity isn't gong to give any money to these projects without the donations in place. The just got burned with the Melo Center. They are still short $4 millions dollars on that facility. They aren't looking for national championships. They will accept 6-7 wins a year. You're kidding yourselves if you think it's going to be any different. There's also the chance we could be completely left out of the four 16 team conferences and then they threw the money away. Marrone knows this and that's why he's looking. Do you really think Marrone wants to come back? Once you start interviewing for these jobs or any jobs, your mind is already in another place. His heart won't be in it if he has to come back. I think the Good Doctor knows that we might also get left out of the conference race and that's why he's looking. TGD is the first person we've had at SU who's been forward thinking and understands the need to pay people to get good people. The BOT doesn't like spending the money.

Thanks and BTW, I see that Tajh Boyd's father says he is likely coming back next year. A lot could change but he could definitely be a front runner for the Heisman. I thought he had some great numbers this year, but not many people were on his bandwagon. His numbers weren't that far behind Johnny Football's.

No way Boyd wins the Heisman. If Spiller didn't win it (wasn't even invited), it's impossible. Can't spell Heisman Trophy w/o "ESPN".

Woody Dantzler was the first 2000 / 1000 player in NCAA history and had better numbers than Eric Crouch when he won it. Still no win. Have to be Bama, Meee-chigan, USC, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom