Clemson Postgame Thoughts | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson Postgame Thoughts

Why didnt Cuffe get a sniff in the first half when JJ needed to take a couple of minutes to re-group ? Why is he getting zero minutes ? Is he hurt, has there been some off the court issues ? He is no savior, but a couple of times this year he did get us going when the team was having general malaise.

Our rebounding and interior D could hardly be worse.

I think our only plus rebounders are Brown and Cope. Cope does a lot of damage playing up high, but when we are getting slaughtered off the glass, he needs to be brought down low to help out Maliq. Maliq also plays up high quite a bit and even though he is quick enough to get back, he often isnt quick enough to get back and be in good rebounding position against any halfway decent big. Why didnt we see a lineup of Hima and Brown ? Then we have some interior presence while freeing up Maliq and Cope to stay up high.

Why does Taylor continue to get a single minute other than when somebody needs a blow ?

Judah continues to show why he will not get drafted. Opponents seem to be learning that if you dont foul him he wont do that much damage.

On the plus side -

Gotta give guys credit for at least making a game out of it after an atrocious first half.

JJ really came on in the second half as did Cope and Bell.

The team did a great job creating TOs.

A lineup I would like to see for a few minutes - Maliq, Hima, Cope, JJ, and Bell (or Judah if he is playing well). I like what Maliq and Cope do up high, but we gotta have somebody to help out in the middle when they roam.

What I worry about, is what is our brand now? Are we still Syracuse where we can go out and get guys to portal in? I have to think we are . And my thinking is because of Fran Brown. If he can do it in football, it can be done in hoop. But I'm not sure. And that scares me. We need at least 3 good guys in the portal.
Its interesting because think what Brown is doing in recruiting (and he does need get the W’s too) basically give Red one more year instead of two, fair or not. He can’t have another stinker next year.

Which leads me to my next point lol. Red, look I like the guy a lot and I'm sure he's a nice guy and all and trying to instill confidence in his players, but he cannot continue to play Taylor... and if he does you have to question his coaching process.
The exasperated face in hands and overtly emotional frustration visual reactions need to be reduced even if totally warranted.

Not even a short modest thank you video for Girard during a timeout from the University? This is what I heard anyway.

Bush league if that is indeed the case.
You are correct

Right before Mintz's game got really ugly, there was a possession where he drove towards the left elbow and was clearly about to run out of space. Q was wide open on the left arc. Whether you want Q taking an open 3 or not, it was blatantly obvious where the ball needed to go. It did not go there. Not even sure Mintz looked.

From then on Mintz was basically a black hole on offense. If he touched the ball, everyone knew there was like a 95% chance he was going to try to create for himself and it would either work or it wouldn't... and that's how it played out.

It's like he has it in his head that the one thing holding him back from his NBA dreams is putting the team on his shoulders down the stretch. The reality is it's the opposite. Making his teammates better is what he should be doing to make himself a better NBA prospect.

When you've got three opponents within arm's reach of you, you have a teammate (or two!) wide open. Find them. Period.
Mintz is the poster child for everything wrong with modern day basketball culture.

Ok. I never said otherwise. I was responding to a post that said we hadn’t had a good center in a decade
Not questioning or criticizing your post. More a comment on how the roster has been devoid of quality big men for a long time.

Naheen could barely keep up with cornell’s center and you think he wouldn’t get carved by hall? Oh please… and brown didn’t play a single minute at the 4 before Naheen got hurt, that wasn’t changing.
not sure if it would make a difference but didn't we play more zone today than against Cornell?

Not questioning or criticizing your post. More a comment on how the roster has been devoid of quality big men for a long time.
For sure not acceptable. Just feel like the board has been Skip Bayless’ing some facts on here lately.

I can't wait to never watch Judah Mintz play for my basketball team again.

Single handedly took us out of the game with a bs fadeaway and the stupid flop guarding J**. If you google "empty stats" a picture of him comes up. Zero basketball IQ and couldn't be less of a winning basketball player if he tried.
I get what you’re saying and there is truth to it. A component of winning players is unselfishness and making key plays and god
Of decisions at key moments.

That said, it can often be easy to look at the best or most talented player on a team and blame them for not delivering a win or the desired success. This happened to scoop his junior year — only player on that team willing to take the ball in big spots and try and make plays. He failed a bunch and was eviscerated here for it. But there was no one else on that team ready to step up, so he was stuck.

In Judah’s case, the selfishness has been tough to watch this year. He’s also inconsistent and his NBA prospects seem dim at the moment. Agree with all of that. But the kid has also been this team’s only consistent scorer/playmaker. We have only one other option as a ball-handler (Quadir). We don’t rebound, injuries haven’t helped at all, and there are still questions about the strategic approach both offensively and defensively from the head coach.

I mean, I get the frustration but I keep getting confused about how this all gets laid at Judah’s feet? Yes, if he were a lottery pick tearing teams up night after night, that would be awesome. But, for me at least, the other personnel and schematic questions jump out as the major flaws here.

I can't wait to never watch Judah Mintz play for my basketball team again.

Single handedly took us out of the game with a bs fadeaway and the stupid flop guarding J**. If you google "empty stats" a picture of him comes up. Zero basketball IQ and couldn't be less of a winning basketball player if he tried.
I love dasher - as a veteran of this board, and to be respected - but as it relates to Judah, yes, I blame him for this loss.
I blame him for other games - making it too close (L'ville) and costing us wins.

Full stop - Judah has lost our respect, as fans - and possibly lost his team.
I have no idea what was exchanged between him and Joe, but I have more props for Girard than I do Judah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom