Clemson Postgame Thoughts | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson Postgame Thoughts

Mintz single-handedly blew that game the last 4 minutes because he is so stinking selfish and stupid. And Taylor is such a liability he should not be playing whatsoever.

And you can't win basketball games when you don't even try playing defense in the first half
I mean, um, spot on? Nothing to add.

21 caused turnovers and lost by 9... Unbelievable
14 defensive rebounds for the entire team. It was either a bucket for Clemson or a Clemson turnover. There were only a handful of possessions where Clemson missed, we got the board .. and that was that.

any idea how close Cuffe is/was with Benny?
His absence seems correlated, and we could have used him both games.
Interesting point. It kills me to think what difference Bennie could have made today but that ship has sailed. The moment that decision was made, the door closed on the remainder of this season. Just not enough healthy big players ( nor good big players) to compete for 40 minutes. Trying to get minutes with Brown at the 5 is passable but not entire games

He can’t have another stinker next year.
Yeah, I'm ok with another less than stellar year, but there needs to be improvement, as in bubble or better. I'm not expecting top-25 polls, but top-40 KP should be doable. We haven't been there in five seasons and barely. Any better than 39 was in 2015-16 (27). And we haven't been better than an 8 seed in the tourney since 2013-14.

People like to compare Red to Hurley's first few season, but Hurley also took over a team in a much worse place, like Louisville last season bad, and made 50% increases in KP ranks every season following his first. Uconn KP Rank by year:
2017-18 - 179 (Last season of Ollie)
2018-19 - 98 (first season of Hurley)
2019-20 - 52
2020-21 - 21
2021-22 - 22
2022-23 - 1
2023-24 - 3

Comparatively, last season Syracuse was 118 under JAB with an allegedly talented* squad. Red's first season is 93 with a limited squad, which honestly, is pretty good considering what he's working with, but

*He had JG3, Jesse, and Judah and we were not good.

Last edited:
What I worry about, is what is our brand now? Are we still Syracuse where we can go out and get guys to portal in? I have to think we are . And my thinking is because of Fran Brown. If he can do it in football, it can be done in hoop. But I'm not sure. And that scares me. We need at least 3 good guys in the portal.
For several years now we've recruited too many players that are unwilling/unable to rebound and play defense (whether zone or man). How many guys in the last 6-7 years can we point to that were exceptional rebounders or defenders? We've been getting killed down low for what seems like the better part of a decade.

i think flopsy may be playing himself out of the draft lately. really poor judgement.
joeg3 on the other hand stepped in and stepped up. i think the boos fired him up.

Last edited:
Agree with this. He had one defensive play where his guy got the ball at the FT line and Bell was in his shirt and pushed him off the spot he wanted to be. His guy made a tough pass that was bobbled and went out of bounds. Small thing, but it matters. He was giving the effort.
This is the example of good defense vs matador trying to go for the steal.

Interesting point. It kills me to think what difference Bennie could have made today but that ship has sailed. The moment that decision was made, the door closed on the remainder of this season. Just not enough healthy big players ( nor good big players) to compete for 40 minutes. Trying to get minutes with Brown at the 5 is passable but not entire games
sorry I meant we could have used Cuffe

Yes Scott. We were negative 17 in rebounding, they killed us inside with their Bigs. We didn't have anyone to give Brown a rest. No rim protectors. Would have allowed Brown to play some at the four. Understand
Curious if you put McLeod and Brown on opposite teams matching up who comes up with more rebounds. Might be Maliq.

Agree we desperately need rebounding and interior presence next year.

When Paul Carey’s absence is having a noticeably negative impact on your team……it means you have gargantuar issues
Another center project who has been injury prone and not capable of playing when he wasn't injured. He's basically been injured for three straight seasons and missed a season due to COVID.

I can't wait to never watch Judah Mintz play for my basketball team again.

Single handedly took us out of the game with a bs fadeaway and the stupid flop guarding J**. If you google "empty stats" a picture of him comes up. Zero basketball IQ and couldn't be less of a winning basketball player if he tried.

It’s the same thing every game — Maliq doesn’t get enough shot attempts despite shooting 70% from the field. He should be shooting at least 10-12 times per game.
That would be nice, but he cant create his own shot and nobody seems able to deliver him the ball on cuts other than Cope. The only way he gets that many shots consistently is if you want him taking 4 or 5 treys a game since nobody guards him out there.

Cuffe did not get off the bench again for the second straight game which begs the question what is going on with that. Playing Taylor 20 minutes a game is literally hamstringing yourself. Rather see Cuff get 10 and Taylor ZERO
seems the message Red is sending to Cuffe is crystal clear

McLeod is as bad a Hima, just much bigger.

Brown and JJ are pieces for next year. I'm 50/50 on Bell and Cope. Everyone else needs the talk.
I am possibly a bit more positive on Bell and Copeland. Maybe out of desperation. I feel Copeland is a leader and team player. Bell is little by little showing improvement. At least he appears to be listening and coachable once in a while.

Counter: McLeod stinks
Is McLeod good? No. But he only needs to play 10-15 minutes a game while Maliq plays 25-30 min at the 5. What portal center is going to transfer here to play 10-15 mins a game?

I didn’t think we would battle back like we did. I also didn’t think we actually were ever going to win. That would have been that bad loss lego hair Lunardi was talking about for Clemson.

That said, the execution out of the timeout down 4 late was ball game. Get a shot ATTEMPT.
Are you talking about the one that we came out of a timeout and settled for a 3 from Brown? These plays from out of timeouts are atrocious. Either, 1- they are not working which is worrisome. Or even more worrisome, 2, which I can’t believe, the play is being designed how it plays out.

Late in the game Girard was on Bell. Why do you not use bell to screen Mintz. If they switch, Mintz should kill girard getting whatever shot he wants. If they don’t switch, bell should be open for a pick and pop. It’s really a simple game at times.

Another center project who has been injury prone and not capable of playing when he wasn't injured. He's basically been injured for three straight seasons and missed a season due to COVID.
Yup, if he can’t stay healthy enough to develop we need the roster spot.

i think flopsy may be playing himself out the draft lately. really poor judgement.
joeg3 on the other hand stepped in and stepped up. i think the boos fired him up.
Did the boos fire him up on D?

McLeod is as bad a Hima, just much bigger.

Brown and JJ are pieces for next year. I'm 50/50 on Bell and Cope. Everyone else needs the talk.
50/50 on Bell and Copeland? Both have next level potential. Bell won last game and Copeland best passer on the team.

What exactly is Judahs talent? The 7 foot jumper in the lane is the only thing he’s reasonably good at.

Is McLeod good? No. But he only needs to play 10-15 minutes a game while Maliq plays 25-30 min at the 5. What portal center is going to transfer here to play 10-15 mins a game?
One that is told Brown will play at PF next season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom