Clemson wants out of the ACC too...(shocker) | Syracusefan.com

Clemson wants out of the ACC too...(shocker)

elimunelson

Solvay Fanatic

As i've said to you "well the ACC is gonna win let's pile drive em" folks...cut your losses now and just get paid. The inevitable is happening no matter what. Disgruntled teams that make up a bigger and bigger % of the league isn't gonna cut it

As i've said to you "well the ACC is gonna win let's pile drive em" folks...cut your losses now and just get paid. The inevitable is happening no matter what. Disgruntled teams that make up a bigger and bigger % of the league isn't gonna cut it

I guess the next part is what's their rationale and what are they claiming? Tweet is still vague. FSU hasn't turned heads on the open market.

I guess the next part is what's their rationale and what are they claiming? Tweet is still vague. FSU hasn't turned heads on the open market.
I feel like this is all orchestrated. they didn't wake up today and say "great day to dissolve a conference"

I feel like they are doing the dirty work (FSU/Clemson) and smoothing it over for the ascot wearing UVA/UNC to soft shoe out when this thing starts to smolder...i have a very cynical feeling this is the foot soldiers taking the bullets for the blue bloods who want out

I feel like this is all orchestrated. they didn't wake up today and say "great day to dissolve a conference"

I feel like they are doing the dirty work (FSU/Clemson) and smoothing it over for the ascot wearing UVA/UNC to soft shoe out when this thing starts to smolder...i have a very cynical feeling this is the foot soldiers taking the bullets for the blue bloods who want out

Correct, UVA and UNC will be one of the first ones gone to the B10 once the conference eventually implodes which is a matter of when not if. Unfortunate but the writing has been on the wall for the ACC for several years now, enjoy it while we can.

Correct, UVA and UNC will be one of the first ones gone to the B10 once the conference eventually implodes which is a matter of when not if. Unfortunate but the writing has been on the wall for the ACC for several years now, enjoy it while we can.

it's over, just a question of what the surrender looks like for Syracuse/BC/Pitt and the other remnants. I wish Wildhack would take a Gavitt like approach and think down the road. We're not going to be in a big time conference. What makes us tick into the 2030s as a viable operation. IMO, it's re-regionalizing our sports. Not sure it's the most lucrative initially but it may be our path forward

From a recent Yahoo! Article...ball might be in the WWL's court:

A date looms as a possible inflection point in the ACC’s future.

While ESPN’s contract with the ACC extends through 2036, the network has the option to opt out of the final nine years starting in 2027, a way that ESPN itself could possibly reopen the grant-of-rights, or at the very least, restructure the deal.

Could a restructured deal with uneven distribution prevent more departures? Would an ESPN opt-out swing open the door for more schools to exit?

The network must exercise the option by February 2025.

Stanford/Cal/SMU must be like

Coffin Dancing GIF

From a recent Yahoo! Article...ball might be in the WWL's court:

A date looms as a possible inflection point in the ACC’s future.

While ESPN’s contract with the ACC extends through 2036, the network has the option to opt out of the final nine years starting in 2027, a way that ESPN itself could possibly reopen the grant-of-rights, or at the very least, restructure the deal.

Could a restructured deal with uneven distribution prevent more departures? Would an ESPN opt-out swing open the door for more schools to exit?

The network must exercise the option by February 2025.
if the door opens, teams are leaving not staying no matter what the breakdown is. I think the future is two leagues with massive per team fees.

I may be wrong on this but the ACC is gonna die shortly. These things tend to happen slowly and then suddenly.

it's over, just a question of what the surrender looks like for Syracuse/BC/Pitt and the other remnants. I wish Wildhack would take a Gavitt like approach and think down the road. We're not going to be in a big time conference. What makes us tick into the 2030s as a viable operation. IMO, it's re-regionalizing our sports. Not sure it's the most lucrative initially but it may be our path forward

I Agree its a matter of when not if, ACC is on borrowed time. Wildhack is a smart guy he knows the score and I am sure is working on contingency plans. B12 will likely get their pick off the rest of the ACC that doesn't make the SEC or B10 cut. Ther commissioner has made it a clear they want an East coast specifically NE contingent, thats SU's best bet most likely.

I mean, they are free to leave at any time; just live up to the terms of the contract they signed regarding leaving. They aren't in prison; they are free to join the Big 10 or SEC today.

Best of luck to them on all of the future endeavors

if the door opens, teams are leaving not staying no matter what the breakdown is. I think the future is two leagues with massive per team fees.

I may be wrong on this but the ACC is gonna die shortly. These things tend to happen slowly and then suddenly.

This is like the transfer portal for administrators. Someone has to take them. And it feels like another doomsday is coming with cord cutting and live sports and fees to cover this all.