2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
St Bona -3 (OT)
Wake -6
ND -2
FSU -11 (double OT)
GTech -4
NcSt -4
UNC -4

These games come down to one play each way a game. If even 2 of these games go a different way, we are safely in the tournament right now.

The nature of the game, but incredibly frustrating.

Depth.

Simply can't play our 3 main guys (one of whom is a freshman) 40 minutes per.

Not sure it mattered last night but if we get those guys a few minutes of rest per game, we probably win at least half of those.

It just goes to show how much better we could be with just a little more firepower.

All of these close losses that often come down to a play or two that determines the outcome would look different if we weren't so anemic offensively.

Yes their lack of talent level collectively is exposed against UNC (and a Kansas) but they have fight and grind and that is to be commended big time.

But, at this point, fatigue must be a big factor. So many of these guys, even Frank and Oshae, shouldn’t be playing 40 mpg and I know Frank had a very good game. If Thorpe were still here and Thompson they would be getting some minutes. It’s just good for everyone to play more bodies. It’s just too much to ask at this point. A freshman like Oshae shouldn’t have to do that. Chukwu is a good kid. He has played way over the level we all thought he would play at. Still so raw and frustrating but no way should he be playing 35+ minutes. I can only imagine how dead tired he must be late in games plus we are running him into the ground screening with him so much, IMO. Marek is probably playing too much. Moyer is still injured I guess. Can’t figure his game out. Disappointing for sure. Sidibe is injured. Lots of bad luck and unfortunate turn of events. I just think fatigue must play a part in these late game situations. Then the collective lack of talent gets magnified. I don’t know. I guess we should be lucky they are still in the bubble discussion for now. I know I often think for awhile now that these guys must be dead tired.

Last edited:
We also had almost as many close wins which is important to remember. Only Kansas and Virginia beat us by more than 10 in regulation.

Maryland - 2 points
Pitt - 5 points
Louisville - 5 points
Miami - 7 points
Wake Forest - 8 points
Georgetown by 7 in OT

The only games we had no chance down the stretch were the Virginia and Kansas games. And even the game @Virginia, we were down 14 points with a 1:44 left and came back down five (66-61) with sixteen seconds left. Had we pressed a little sooner, we may have even had a chance that game too.

All in all, very frustrating seeing us come up just short in 7 or 8 of our 10 losses to date. But all things considered, this team is fighting through injuries, a lack of depth, and fatigue, and still competing with some of the best teams in the best conference. With the amount of youth on our roster, there's a lot of positives to take away from this season, regardless of how these last 4+ games go.

The only games we had no chance down the stretch were the Virginia and Kansas games. And even the game @Virginia, we were down 14 points with a 1:44 left and came back down five (66-61) with sixteen seconds left. Had we pressed a little sooner, we may have even had a chance that game too.

All in all, very frustrating seeing us come up just short in 7 or 8 of our 10 losses to date. But all things considered, this team is fighting through injuries, a lack of depth, and fatigue, and still competing with some of the best teams in the best conference. With the amount of youth on our roster, there's a lot of positives to take away from this season, regardless of how these last 4+ games go.

This team has far exceeded my preseason expectations, not only as to W-L record but in ability to be consistently competitive with the better teams on our schedule.

Realistically, JB and staff deserve a lot of credit. It is one of those years in which JB was able to get more out of less, regardless of how things play out from here.

A Syracuse team from 2009-2015 is probably 23-5 right now and ranked #10 in the nation. I've said before there are no great teams this year, and bad teams are in the top 25 right now, and teams we usually laugh at are top 10. The red carpet was rolled out for us this year, competition and schedule wise, to jump out to a 25-3 start and fight for a #2 seed. Oh well.

It could just be confirmation bias, but it's hard not to see fatigue as a factor when you see Battle getting in the paint a lot all game (howard too) and the last 4 or 5 possessions all we got was long 2 point jump shots.

fatigue

Seems like a sound rationale but the data doesn't really support it. We have been markedly better in the second half of games and if you look at the score at the end of 10 minutes and at halftime of these games and compare it to the score at the end of regulation it's really just the FSU and Notre Dame games that show a marked drop off in the second half. Conversely Bonnies, FSU and last night show a marked improvement in the second half. I certainly agree having a third guard and a second forward who can score might make the big 3 marginally stronger at the end of games, but would that offset what we would lose having Frank, Tyus and Oshae off the floor for 4 -5 minutes per half?

Bad shot selection at end of games, a bad turnover. Just not able to make a game winning play in the last 1:30 of these games. So frustrating.

Seems like a sound rationale but the data doesn't really support it. We have been markedly better in the second half of games and if you look at the score at the end of 10 minutes and at halftime of these games and compare it to the score at the end of regulation it's really just the FSU and Notre Dame games that show a marked drop off in the second half. Conversely Bonnies, FSU and last night show a marked improvement in the second half. I certainly agree having a third guard and a second forward who can score might make the big 3 marginally stronger at the end of games, but would that offset what we would lose having Frank, Tyus and Oshae off the floor for 4 -5 minutes per half?
In our last 8 games we have scored 78 more points in the second half vs first half. That’s about 10 points a game on average. Must be those tired legs.

Good points. I think it’s also a reflection of great adjustments by the players and staff after half time. Personally I think the experience these players are getting this year should pay off next year helping the players themselves recognize situations, opportunities, matchups rather than depending on numerous timeouts and half time to adjust. Also next year with more depth, we could save timeouts allowing the staff to sit with key players to explain what adjustments they need to make too. Currently using our timeouts also gives the opponent a free timeout to also adjust, allowing them to save their own to use later.

Bad shot selection at end of games, a bad turnover. Just not able to make a game winning play in the last 1:30 of these games. So frustrating.

We have had many close wins where the opposite is true.

Good points. I think it’s also a reflection of great adjustments by the players and staff after half time. Personally I think the experience these players are getting this year should pay off next year helping the players themselves recognize situations, opportunities, matchups rather than depending on numerous timeouts and half time to adjust. Also next year with more depth, we could save timeouts allowing the staff to sit with key players to explain what adjustments they need to make too. Currently using our timeouts also gives the opponent a free timeout to also adjust, allowing them to save their own to use later.

Agree completely. Although it's hard to believed that a stubborn old coach that doesn;t understand today's game would be able to adjust at all! ;-).
And on top of pure experience benefits I think there is significant upside in terms of individual skills. Marek has already made noticeable improvement on his mid range game. The 12 to 15 footers that were little more than a prayer in December are a legitimate weapon now. If he can start to look for that shot more aggressively, or even stretch his range a bit he becomes a completely different player. I think Oshae understands that he needs to alleviate his inability to finish through contact and will be an even stronger presence. Pascal is finishing his first complete season and still in the process of getting his "court legs." Expect all around improvement there and a "meaner" attack of the basket. The experience that Bourama and Matt gained playing through pain for most of the year should translate well once they are healthy. Add in the newbies and things certainly look brighter.

I have seen many games over the years (although plenty of folks have seen more, lol)... Anyways, this year's team gives more effort and hustle than we have seen in a long time and it's been a pleasure to behold. It has been a sticking point for me, that when we have talent we rarely bust our butt with hustle plays that other teams seem to always give, which tend to make games closer than they should be or result in what used to be coined as the annual W T F loss. This year it's reverse and even though it's a pleasure to see a team "dig in" and be competitive it always feels like we are a play away most close games. It has to be really frustrating for the team, and hopefully it's not getting in their head's (like here we go again, no matter how hard we try, just can't get over the hump-- especially in the stretch run...)

After last night I couldn't help but think of the scene from 'Blue Chips" where Nick Nolte had his final presser and talked about how his best team wasn't his most talented, but the one that had a bad record where the kids gave their heart every night and played to the max of their abilities, but how it wasn't good enough (from a w/l perspective- since that's all that mattered) for him, for the players, or the fans...

As much as last night's loss stung, I am proud that these guys this year, overcoming a ton of adversity and having consistently left "it" on the floor. Let's hope the guys can find a way to hustle and patch together a few more wins, because as frustrating it has been to be ever so close to those W's, we still have time to right the ship!!

Go get 'em guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom