Coach and the press | Syracusefan.com

Coach and the press

ThePoint

Scout Team
When will somebody call Coach B on the "we are not effective on the press" thing.

I know it is anecdotal but it appears to work far more often than not.

Plus, it makes our team the aggressor - not just sitting back and taking punishment.

When will somebody call Coach B on the "we are not effective on the press" thing.

Plus, it makes our team the aggressor - not just sitting back and taking punishment.

Yeah, let's do 40 minutes of he!! when we have a center who absolutely cannot get in foul trouble yet will be responsible for anchoring the press and protecting the rim.

We also go max 7 deep and we have 3 guys who basically play 40 minutes if not hurt or in foul trouble.

Keep 'em coming. Can't wait to see Post #34...

Obviously you can't do it for 40 minutes, and this year's lack of depth makes it moot now, but hopefully next year it's deployed more often. It can be more than just a late-game come from behind strategy. It's clear that SU has the length to cause problems for teams who want to take the air out of the ball, so why not mix it in from time to time?

Yeah, let's do 40 minutes of he!! when we have a center who absolutely cannot get in foul trouble yet will be responsible for anchoring the press and protecting the rim.

We also go max 7 deep and we have 3 guys who basically play 40 minutes if not hurt or in foul trouble.

Keep 'em coming. Can't wait to see Post #34...
Well that was certainly a well-reasoned and thoughtful response. Thanks for the input.

And why did we play 7-8 deep every year?

Obviou. y you can't do it for 40 minutes, and this year's lack of depth makes it moot now, but hopefully next year it's deployed more often. It can be more than just a late-game come from behind strategy. It's clear that SU has the length to cause problems for teams who want to take the air out of the ball, so why not mix it in from time to time?
The thing is - we use to press on and off during games and were really good at it. Now apparently we can only do one thing.

When we went 30-1 in 2012 and went 10 deep JB would press to speed teams up in short spruts and it worked.
This year we don't have the depth to press.
Rak,G,Roberson, Cooney play the whole game, Patterson and Joseph split spot 5.
JB has started since the BC game to go 7 deep with Johnson and only puts Chino in if Rak has foul trouble.
We only have 6 guys and 8 guys JB will use so we can't press. However next year with
PG-Joseph,Patterson,Howard
SG- Cooney, Richardson
SF- Gbinije, Johnson, Lydon
PF-McCollough, Roberson, Diagne
C- Coleman, Chino

This team depth should give JB a chance to press in short spurts.

I think history has shown the more confidence JB has in the press the more he is willing to use it. When you combine a press with a good Zone its a tough combo.

Using the press occasionally for a short time against the right team can be effective, but most good teams just get easy layups.

Well that was certainly a well-reasoned and thoughtful response. Thanks for the input.

And why did we play 7-8 deep every year?

Ask a question that is not a slam on the coach masquerading as a question and you will get a thoughtful response.

Approach it the way you did and you'll get the response that you got - especially since you've been on this board for all of 3 nanoseconds...

Ask a question that is not a slam on the coach masquerading as a question and you will get a thoughtful response.

Approach it the way you did and you'll get the response that you got - especially since you've been on this board for all of 3 nanoseconds...

Meh, I didn't have a problem with his question, nor did I read it as having an undertone of dissing our coach. Disagreement? Sure. Slamming? I didn't see that.

Just because he hasn't posted a lot doesn't mean he isn't allowed his opinion or the freedom to question things. He's been registered for near a year and a half.

I think some of us need to take a step back, a deep breath, and realize there's a difference between questioning and attacking.

Meh, I didn't have a problem with his question, nor did I read it as having an undertone of dissing our coach. Disagreement? Sure. Slamming? I didn't see that.

Just because he hasn't posted a lot doesn't mean he isn't allowed his opinion or the freedom to question things. He's been registered for near a year and a half.

I think some of us need to take a step back, a deep breath, and realize there's a difference between questioning and attacking.
not buying it.

thepoint was sent here by gross and giansante to try and deflect from the bouie thing.

HE, was the one who spelled it wrong and then greenlighted the presentation.

forza went easy...

Fred Lewis used it as did Roy Danforth Jim only use's it when he's 10 behind, Let's face it this is the entertainment business and the Press is exciting,That's why I like VCU and why I liked the Runts

In the past, for whatever reason, our press has been pretty bad. There have been good games here and there (that furious comeback against Rutgers in 05 I think and some other), but usually it is not very good.

This team is different and the press has been largely effective. Unfortunately, we can't do it for long stretches. In the future, I'd love to see us press at random times. Just anything to keep the other team guessing as to what we do. I love the zone when it's played well, but there's nothing wrong with switching things up every once in a while.

Same here. A reasonable question with good answer (minus the sarcasm). I think it makes more sense to encourage discourse including the raised question.

Maybe a better question is - why does he not consider the 2-2-1 press that so many other teams use to at least cut down on the time the opponent has to run their half-court offense? I honestly don't know what to call JB's press... other than it's usually a complete sell-out in an effort to get turnovers... and usually requires some home cooking.

A press is only as good as the players deploying it combined with the instruction and practice they've had with it.
Also...the experience of the team you're pressing (good luck using it against Duke).
This team has been pretty successful with it
We all know the lack of depth means it can't be used for long periods.
But it can be an effective weapon...creating confusion, turnovers, offense and maybe most importantly, demoralizing an opponent.
(See the unfortuante 2012 Big East final).
It should be part of the arsenal.

Same here. A reasonable question with good answer (minus the sarcasm). I think it makes more sense to encourage discourse including the raised question.

To me, using "calling out" instead of asking and "sitting back and taking punishment" are inflammatory.

My response, athough genuine, was crafted to mimic the tone of his initial "question".

BTW, I asked you awhile back in a thread if you have ever had a Bevan Oakville...

I think in recent years Boeheim has seen how teams have struggled in the half court against the zone and rightfully thinks there is little point in putting teams in a position where they may only have to beat one guy to break a press and then don't have to score against the zone. This year the zone has been shaky but he doesn't have to bodies or fouls necessary to press unless it is an emergency.

not buying it.

thepoint was sent here by gross and giansante to try and deflect from the bouie thing.

HE, was the one who spelled it wrong and then greenlighted the presentation.

forza went easy...
Hey, apologize for the accusation...Or at least deeply regret it ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom