Coach Babers NSD Press Conference 4 PM | Syracusefan.com

Coach Babers NSD Press Conference 4 PM

Syracuse Football ‏@CuseFootball
"We want not only fantastic football players, but students of the game." - @CoachBabersCuse

"To me it always starts on that side of the ball (defense).. Looking for a very particular type of defensive player" @CoachBabersCuse #NSD16

"We think we got a good solid class, but we still have to wait 2 years, 2 and half years to find out." @CoachBabersCuse #NSD16

.@CoachBabersCuse says he relies more on staff's evaluations, more so than star ratings, to find right people for their style of play #NSD16

"Always looking for fantastic student-athletes that fit the mold... always looking for hidden gems" @CoachBabersCuse #NSD16

What he's most impressed with so far: Attitude of the players on the team, how they are responding to new staff. @CoachBabersCuse #NSD16

Matt Park ‏@MattPark1
Babers: "The football staff should be commended. I thought they did an outstanding job in a short period of time..."

Babers: "What we didn't get done in 2016, we will in 2017. And that will be the foundation."

Babers's lean toward the Tampa-2 defense requires pressure from a four-man front. Shafer & Bullough were known for blitzing from everywhere.

This class has four DL, four OL. The OLs are 6-7, 6-7, 6-6, 6-5.

Last edited:
Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 12s12 seconds ago
Syracuse HC Dino Babers notes the important of four-man pressures in a Tampa 2. DE situation will be key there.

Syracuse HC Dino Babers calls the four Shafer-era commits who signed good fits. "Hats off to the previous staff."

Dino Babers on going 8/9 with 1/22 visitors: "I didn't know if it was a curse or a blessing, because it's never happened before (to me)."

Dino Babers said his biggest challenge is having to play a lot of young guys this year. Expects growing pains.

Dino Babers said the key with handling Shafer-era recruits was being honest. 11 decommitted after being told how the staff views them.

Syracuse HC Dino Babers says the staff will keep looking after NSD. No positions, in particular, just "best player available."

Syracuse HC Dino Babers views RB Jo-El Shaw as a short-yardage back.

Last edited:
Paul Schwedelson ‏@pschweds 4m4 minutes ago
Babers: The emphasis of the class was O-Line, D-Line and linebackers. Cites that they take longer to develop.

Babers: My philosophy's always been that foundation of the team starts with the staff.Finding right assts is worth sacrificing some recruits

Babers: It wasn't really about the current roster. It was about recruiting players that fit our style.

Babers says he will not comment on suspended players Amir Ealey and Qaadir Sheppard.

But Babers does say Syracuse will need to find players. Jokes that he might buy an ad in school newspaper. (cc: @dailyorange)

Babers: "Rex (Culpepper) is a bubbly personality. ... It was a really good job by Coach Shafer and his staff getting him committed to us."

Last edited:
SUJuice.com ‏@TheJuiceOnline 14m14 minutes ago
"What I want to do, is I want to fill up the carrier dome." -Babers

Babers feels one way to do this is to recruit talent from the NY/NJ/PA area that draw people to games.

"We're going to have to have a lot of these young men play early...but that can be a blessing."-Babers

"On the defensive side you're looking for guys that can change directions. Explosiveness." -Babers

"We need every able capable man that can play. We might even put out an ad in the school newspaper." -Babers

"The guys who show up at the end of February. Those are my guys." -Babers

"I don't get tied up in the stars part of it. But I do get into the evaluations."-Babers

"Attitude of the players. I think they're hungry."-Babers on what's most satisfying about the SU program

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom