Coach P | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Coach P

I think there's something to this.

It's not like Coughlin has endeared himself to SU.

I sometimes forget he has any ties at all. He's ignored the university.
ny_couglin_cassata_300.jpg

This isn't real, folks. There is no plan or proposal to do this that anyone here is aware of.

Oangenauburn asked about opinions on whether they think the University should honor "P" somehow. He admitted to not being a "P" fan.

Some of you don't like opinions that are different from yours. So much so that name-calling and insults are thrown at those with different opinions.

Those who think that the University or the Yankees or whoever don't do this sort of recognition to draw fans or to make statements (like Gross and the 1970 team quitters) are out of touch with the reality of filling seats.

And rather than distract attention from the Gerg era as Orangenauburn suggests, it would likely draw attention to it by inviting comparison. And that why SU won't do it.

jck.gif

Does everyone realize that there are two hall of famers in that picture, and soon to be third? You'll stump everbody with the trivia question:
Name the only school in NCAA history to produce three future NFL hall of famers, from the same backfield.

Does everyone realize that there are two hall of famers in that picture, and soon to be third? You'll stump everbody with the trivia question:
Name the only school in NCAA history to produce three future NFL hall of famers, from the same backfield.
Hey, there's four hall of famers there ! Rick Cassata is in the Greater Buffalo Hall of Fame!

Do you think the school will ever honor him?

I was not a big fan of Coach P but I respect what he did while here

I think to truly exorcise the Gerg demons, we should honor Coach P

good question. i wasn't a huge fan toward the end. his clock management was so bad i've run out of time talking about it.
but still i feel he provided us with several seasons of quality football where we could hang with anyone.
and that certainly deserves some praise.

P won 107 games here and went to 9 bowls winning 6 of them.

but since this is the land of make believe lets look at it this way...

taken as the current college set up now is...I think we can add 13 more d1aa wins which makes him 120-59-1.

and obviously that moves his top years up to 3 seasons of 11 and 10 and 1, 9.

he also would've gone to a total of 13 bowls.

back to reality:

COLLEGE FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME

Criteria for coach nominees
  1. While each nominee's football achievements are of prime consideration, his post-football record as a citizen is also weighed. He must have proven himself worthy as a citizen, carrying the ideals of football forward into his relations with his community and his fellow man with love of his country. CHECK
  2. A coach becomes eligible three years after retirement or immediately following retirement provided he is at least 70 years of age. Active coaches become eligible at 75 years of age. P is 67
  3. The nominee must have held a head coaching position at the collegiate level for at least ten years. CHECK
  4. The nominee must hold at least a .600 career record over the course of 100 games or more. CHECK
Syracuse, can ignore him all it wants.

P is going to Atlanta...

I love it when you come in and punch a thread in it's throat.

Well done.

KaiserUEO said:
P won 107 games here and went to 9 bowls winning 6 of them. but since this is the land of make believe lets look at it this way... taken as the current college set up now is...I think we can add 13 more d1aa wins which makes him 120-59-1. and obviously that moves his top years up to 3 seasons of 11 and 10 and 1, 9. he also would've gone to a total of 13 bowls. back to reality: COLLEGE FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME Criteria for coach nominees [*]While each nominee's football achievements are of prime consideration, his post-football record as a citizen is also weighed. He must have proven himself worthy as a citizen, carrying the ideals of football forward into his relations with his community and his fellow man with love of his country. CHECK [*]A coach becomes eligible three years after retirement or immediately following retirement provided he is at least 70 years of age. Active coaches become eligible at 75 years of age. P is 67 [*]The nominee must have held a head coaching position at the collegiate level for at least ten years. CHECK [*]The nominee must hold at least a .600 career record over the course of 100 games or more. CHECK Syracuse, can ignore him all it wants. P is going to Atlanta...
I have no idea if he will get into the college football HOF, but just because he meets the minimum criteria to be nominated doesn't mean he will get in.

I was a freshman in 1991 so Coach P was the coach when I fell in love with the team. Later I learned the history of the program, but the only good years I experienced myself were the P years (and like 2 Marone years). He is really the only successful coach I have ever seen here so yeah, honor the guy. He did things the right way and won a lot of games. He made bowls when it was a little harder to make bowls. He recruited some amazing players and they ran a pretty exciting team for a while.

Coach P's career at SU = underrated
Coach Mac's career at SU = overrated

(and I say this as someone who loves Coach Mac and has a personalized autographed picture of him)

Coach P's career at SU = underrated
Coach Mac's career at SU = overrated

(and I say this as someone who loves Coach Mac and has a personalized autographed picture of him)
He had an undefeated season and at one point, the longest unbeaten streak in the country at 18 or 19 games and went 21-2-1 in 1987-1988. He also brought in the offense that defined SU football for almost 20 years. Not to mention, he knocked off the #1 Nebraska team.

I think he is rated fairly.

He had an undefeated season and at one point, the longest unbeaten streak in the country at 18 or 19 games and went 21-2-1 in 1987-1988. He also brought in the offense that defined SU football for almost 20 years. Not to mention, he knocked off the #1 Nebraska team.

I think he is rated fairly.

In the 1987 and 1988 regular seasons (which were Mac's only two very good years), we played a total of 2 ranked teams. Again, I love Mac for bringing the SU football program back to life, but I think he had an objectively worse career than P by a decent margin.

In the 1987 and 1988 regular seasons (which were Mac's only two very good years), we played a total of 2 ranked teams. Again, I love Mac for bringing the SU football program back to life, but I think he had an objectively worse career than P by a decent margin.
I think you're off on the # of ranked teams we played those seasons. We played at least 3 ranked teams in 1987 (PSU, Pitt and Auburn off the top of my head).

I have no idea if he will get into the college football HOF, but just because he meets the minimum criteria to be nominated doesn't mean he will get in.
no it doesn't.

but his record means he should.

sadly, a part of his entrance would be for the Syracuse community to lobby for him.

yet if people here any indication, it wont happen.

more are bent on trying to prove how bad he was, as opposed to celebrating how good he was and marveling at all the success he brought us. :noidea:

people here will fight to the death for a former fullbacks inclusion into the Pro HOF. 1 where in an 11 year career where he rushed for a whopping 750 yards and caught for another 2200 with a total of 22 TDs. (or an avg of 68 & 200 yds and 2 TD a year).:crazy:

no it doesn't.

but his record means he should.

sadly, a part of his entrance would be for the Syracuse community to lobby for him.

yet if people here any indication, it wont happen.

more are bent on trying to prove how bad he was, as opposed to celebrating how good he was and marveling at all the success he brought us. :noidea:

people here will fight to the death for a former fullbacks inclusion into the Pro HOF. 1 where in an 11 year career where he rushed for a whopping 750 yards and caught for another 2200 with a total of 22 TDs. (or an avg of 68 & 200 yds and 2 TD a year).:crazy:
I agree with you on Coach P, but I think you're missing the argument for Moose Johnston by focusing entirely on his rushing and receiving numbers and excluding why he's even being considered - his blocking. I'm not sure if he belongs in the HOF and I'm not really giving any thought to it outside of right now, but I do know he's not being considered because of stats and if OL can get in for their blocking prowess, why not a FB?

I agree with you on Coach P, but I think you're missing the argument for Moose Johnston by focusing entirely on his rushing and receiving numbers and excluding why he's even being considered - his blocking. I'm not sure if he belongs in the HOF and I'm not really giving any thought to it outside of right now, but I do know he's not being considered because of stats and if OL can get in for their blocking prowess, why not a FB?
I hope he makes it. im not sure how many yards Emmitt would've got without him or how much time Troy would've been given before throwing, for Irvin to push off on his ducks and make a great catch. he was a great blocker.

I hope he makes it because he is a SYRACUSE football player. a great one at that.

something that is lost on P.

he was a great SYRACUSE Coach.

we all should be pulling for him to get in the College HOF.

sadly, that's just not the case.

I think you're off on the # of ranked teams we played those seasons. We played at least 3 ranked teams in 1987 (PSU, Pitt and Auburn off the top of my head).

I said regular seasons, meaning teams that we scheduled. In 1987 it was only Penn State and in 1988 it was only West Virginia. Pitt wasn't ranked when we played them in 87.

I hope he makes it. im not sure how many yards Emmitt would've got without him or how much time Troy would've been given before throwing, for Irvin to push off on his ducks and make a great catch. he was a great blocker.

I hope he makes it because he is a SYRACUSE football player. a great one at that.

something that is lost on P.

he was a great SYRACUSE Coach.

we all should be pulling for him to get in the College HOF.

sadly, that's just not the case.

I'd push for him to get in.

I'd like to think that would be a telling vote.

I think differently in my 40s than I did in my 20s although I'll never put down my efforts.

And for a zinger, since he's on Addazio's staff now, for a team that just lost 49-0 in Blacksburg.. the more things change..

I fear we'll never get the 90s back. Those were special times. Many here probably don't even believe it.

I think differently in my 40s than I did in my 20s although I'll never put down my efforts.

And for a zinger, since he's on Addazio's staff now, for a team that just lost 49-0 in Blacksburg.. the more things change..

I fear we'll never get the 90s back. Those were special times. Many here probably don't even believe it.
im not saying you and others weren't wrong for calling for his dismissal here, im just saying that now that we can all look back at his tenure, there should be a unanimous vote that it was an overwhelming success and we should all push for his induction into the College HOF, for it will look positive for us.

Tom Coughlin just finished his career with 4 non-playoff seasons and 2 6-10's. but his tenure was an overwhelming success and he is a future HOFer. and all Giants fans will be pulling for him.

your endorsement, is a telling vote.

telling us what, who knows, but good. *

* I just couldn't leave this post with the previous line being something so positive to you.

im not saying you and others weren't wrong for calling for his dismissal here, im just saying that now that we can all look back at his tenure, there should be a unanimous vote that it was an overwhelming success and we should all push for his induction into the College HOF, for it will look positive for us.

Tom Coughlin just finished his career with 4 non-playoff seasons and 2 6-10's. but his tenure was an overwhelming success and he is a future HOFer. and all Giants fans will be pulling for him.

your endorsement, is a telling vote.

telling us what, who knows, but good. *

* I just couldn't leave this post with the previous line being something so positive to you.

He's a great teacher. He really seems to care. About what, I have no idea.

- Thornton Mellon

rc slocum made it, john cooper, jim donnan. i think of those guys as similar to p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom