Coaches 28 / AP 28 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coaches 28 / AP 28

I’m not bent out of shape about it, but the fact that VA Tech is back in at #24 and we aren’t is a perfect example of why there should be no polls before week 4.

VT beat FSU, William & Mary, and a now unranked Duke team. They lost to Old Dominion by 14 at home.

SU beat WMU, Wagner, FSU, and UConn. We lost to Clemson by 4 on the road.

The only universe where that makes sense is one where VT benefits from a preseason ranking and we don’t. Which is why the polls should start after there’s at least something from the current season to evaluate.
VT started much higher in the rankings [which means that they were attributed as being better earlier, and consequently have gotten more attention] than we did.

We'll see the ascent now that people are paying attention.

They're holding it against SU that they didn't hold onto the lead with Brice in at QB. Yet Tech moves back into the top 25.
I think it's more that they're waiting to see whether we fall apart the last haf of the season. The good thing is we control our own destiny with the 25th ranked team on our schedule. I think we'll be in before we get to them though.

I don't mind not being in the top 25 as much as the fact there are teams in the top 25 we are better than, or just shouldn't be where they are at in general. If the top 25 made sense and we were on the outside looking in, I'd be more than fine with that.

I don't mind not being in the top 25 as much as the fact there are teams in the top 25 we are better than, or just shouldn't be where they are at in general. If the top 25 made sense and we were on the outside looking in, I'd be more than fine with that.

Rankings are a joke until after week 8 anyway.

Syracuse is only marginally out of the AP top 25. #24 to #28 is basically a draw.

Virginia Tech 89
Oklahoma St 88
Boise St 86
South Florida 83
Syracuse 74

They will be top 25 by next week with a win.

A win is not enough. We need to beat Pitt by at least two touchdowns.

Rankings are a joke until after week 8 anyway.

I get that in CFB and with the types of schedules schools play, it's kind of a crapshoot for awhile. There are also some teams that haven't proven they should be in the top 25 IMO.

I get that in CFB and with the types of schedules schools play, it's kind of a crapshoot for awhile. There are also some teams that haven't proven they should be in the top 25 IMO.

That is why they should not exist until after the middle of the year at the earliest. You can dissect any winning team's schedule to date and find more than one rented mule in their win column. No one knows a thing right now about who is really good.

I do this every year, I have us starting the year ranked #1 and follow where I project we’d finish the season. Obviously it hasn’t been good for the last, oh, several years. This year might be fun. Right now we are ranked #5.

That is why they should not exist until after the middle of the year at the earliest. You can dissect any winning team's schedule to date and find more than one rented mule in their win column. No one knows a thing right now about who is really good.

I disagree. It's the voters fault for not admitting error and keeping teams higher or lower than their resume. They always do the "can only drop them X spots and no more or raise them Y and no more" type of thinking. That's what has to end.

What's also odd to me is writing teams off, especially if they've played poorly on TV. There is no doubt that FSU is being written off and guess what? They have lost to VT and SU who turned out to be pretty good and are 3-2. Now they play another ranked team in Miami. They lose they are 3-3 but have 3 quality losses. Does this mean they stink? I'd love to see them beat Miami Saturday just to see how the voters/pundits react to this. ACC is down or FSU is getting better? All of FSU's losses are in the ACC so I'm curious on how they'll do this.

I disagree. It's the voters fault for not admitting error and keeping teams higher or lower than their resume. They always do the "can only drop them X spots and no more or raise them Y and no more" type of thinking. That's what has to end.

What's also odd to me is writing teams off, especially if they've played poorly on TV. There is no doubt that FSU is being written off and guess what? They have lost to VT and SU who turned out to be pretty good and are 3-2. Now they play another ranked team in Miami. They lose they are 3-3 but have 3 quality losses. Does this mean they stink? I'd love to see them beat Miami Saturday just to see how the voters/pundits react to this. ACC is down or FSU is getting better? All of FSU's losses are in the ACC so I'm curious on how they'll do this.

I would imagine what is holding Florida State down is their win in the last 5 minutes vs 1-4 1-AA Samford and losing to Va Tech which has a loss to 1-4 Old Dominion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom