Cobra Kai | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Cobra Kai

Just finished.

No spoilers, but that last episode seemed like a series finale to me.

Also seems like all plots have been resolved, and all ties to past Karate Kid movies have been exhausted.

Hope there's a season 6.

Just finished.

Also seems like all plots have been resolved, and all ties to past Karate Kid movies have been exhausted.

Hope there's a season 6.
Before the show is done, I want to see a flash forward to see 16 year-old Johnny Jr.

Just finished.

Hope there's a season 6.

Really surprised with how it ended, because as you said it seemed like they wrapped up everything. So now what?

Just finished.

Hope there's a season 6.
Lots of internet theories on who is Tory's mom. Thats about all I can think of to tie up.

I just loved this series from the minute it aired on YouTube a few years ago. If you are a male of a certain age (me 54), this has just been a joy to watch.

Really surprised with how it ended, because as you said it seemed like they wrapped up everything. So now what?

They certainly revisited / exhausted all of the source material from the three Karate Kid movies. They had nice cameos from Danny's love interests [Ali, Kumiko, Robin] from all three movies, and gave those characters satisfying endings. The series had redemption arcs for his three main antagonists -- Johnny [who at one point was the focus of the series], Chozen, and Mike Barnes.

Terry Silver got his in the end [although I'm still unclear why HE was the one arrested at the end, when Johnny and Chozen broke into HIS house and assaulted him; paying of a judge at the all-valley karate tournament doesn't seem jail-worthy].

Kreese did, as well. But they gave him a cool ending. Obviously, there could be something about him being on the run that could serve as a central plot if there's a season six. But I envision him being more inclined to disappear into Mexico, kick his heels up, and enjoy life on the beach than try to exact some sort of final revenge against Danny / Johnny.

Otherwise, the series would be headed to uncharted territory, because they wrapped up all family business with respect to the three movies.

I can't believe they'd dabble in any capacity with the Hillary Swank movie.

Danny's befriended all of his former tormentors, who banded together to help him. He took down Silver, saw Kreese imprisoned, and in the end Miyagi-Do triumphed. Johnny reconciled with his son, became a father figure to Miguel, and is about to ride off into the sunset with Miguel's mom, their new baby, and a reconciled family. Chozen and Mike Barnes ended up being not such bad guys after all. And Ali and Kumiko ended up going on to have nice lives, and Danny had a nice time platonically reconnecting with both. And as it turns out Robin introduced Danny to his wife, who was her cousin. Seems like all threads pertaining to all relevant main characters from the movies have been wrapped up in a neat little bow. The other seasons ended on cliffhangers. This one, not so much.

Which kind of makes it feel like it's done. Hope not -- if there's a season 6, I'd cue it up as soon as it drops.

Last edited:
Lots of internet theories on who is Tory's mom. Thats about all I can think of to tie up.

I just loved this series from the minute it aired on YouTube a few years ago. If you are a male of a certain age (me 54), this has just been a joy to watch.

Agree 100%.

Was the series suitably cheesy? Hell yes. But for people of a certain age, there was just something about that movie...

So much so, that this streaming series decades later is one of the most fun things I've ever watched.

Agree 100%.

Was the series suitably cheesy? Hell yes. But for people of a certain age, there was just something about that movie...

So much so, that this streaming series decades later is one of the most fun things I've ever watched.

At this point, as iconic as the movies were, the show has surpassed them by a wide margin in my view.

At this point, as iconic as the movies were, the show has surpassed them by a wide margin in my view.

The show is terrific.

But there is a big dropoff from the first movie to the others. So in my opinion, nothing tops the original movie. Then I'd put the show, then KK2. KK3 was a pretty big step down IMO.

3 episodes in to season 5 and it’s not grabbing me yet. Everyone else seems to like it, so maybe I’ll get into it soon? Or maybe I’ll take a break and come back to it down the road.

3 episodes in to season 5 and it’s not grabbing me yet. Everyone else seems to like it, so maybe I’ll get into it soon? Or maybe I’ll take a break and come back to it down the road.
Episodes 4 and 5 of this season might be my favorites of the whole series. Hang in there!

Cobra Kai and Maverick have done a great job of taking some loved, but at the end of the day not very deep source material, and creating some serious subtext about, at least for persons of a certain age (born at St. Joes one month after Cruise), rumination’s about the life you have lived, the choices you have made, and coming to terms with them as you turn for the home stretch, that resonates with everyone, even if it’s subconsciously.

For Johnny it’s realizing what a f’ up he’s been by letting his past hold him back and seizing a second act. That is what is called a true character arc.

For Maverick, it’s seeing that the girl that got away was the girl to get and put Goose behind you.

Second best subplot, Miguel chasing his identity, seeing that his mother was right, and accepting it and moving on.

They certainly revisited / exhausted all of the source material from the three Karate Kid movies. They had nice cameos from Danny's love interests [Ali, Kumiko, Robin] from all three movies, and gave those characters satisfying endings. The series had redemption arcs for his three main antagonists -- Johnny [who at one point was the focus of the series], Chozen, and Mike Barnes.

Terry Silver got his in the end [although I'm still unclear why HE was the one arrested at the end, when Johnny and Chozen broke into HIS house and assaulted him; paying of a judge at the all-valley karate tournament doesn't seem jail-worthy].

Kreese did, as well. But they gave him a cool ending. Obviously, there could be something about him being on the run that could serve as a central plot if there's a season six. But I envision him being more inclined to disappear into Mexico, kick his heels up, and enjoy life on the beach than try to exact some sort of final revenge against Danny / Johnny.

Otherwise, the series would be headed to uncharted territory, because they wrapped up all family business with respect to the three movies.

I can't believe they'd dabble in any capacity with the Hillary Swank movie.

Danny's befriended all of his former tormentors, who banded together to help him. He took down Silver, saw Kreese imprisoned, and in the end Miyagi-Do triumphed. Johnny reconciled with his son, became a father figure to Miguel, and is about to ride off into the sunset with Miguel's mom, their new baby, and a reconciled family. Chozen and Mike Barnes ended up being not such bad guys after all. And Ali and Kumiko ended up going on to have nice lives, and Danny had a nice time platonically reconnecting with both. And as it turns out Robin introduced Danny to his wife, who was her cousin. Seems like all threads pertaining to all relevant main characters from the movies have been wrapped up in a neat little bow. The other seasons ended on cliffhangers. This one, not so much.

Which kind of makes it feel like it's done. Hope not -- if there's a season 6, I'd cue it up as soon as it drops.
Silver was arrested for what he did to Stingray.

Man so glad to hear I’m not the only one who is digging this show to such absolutely ridiculous degree. With some warts sure, but this is fantastic with the over time historic depth of character development unlike anything I’ve ever seen in any show/movie/series.

Ground breaking in some respects. The scenes with Kreese in prison are so off the charts good and deep. The scene with the therapist, just wow. Hard to describe the why’s of all this, but I think you guys do well explaining it above. Just awesome

Last edited:
Man so glad to hear I’m not the only one who is digging this show to such absolutely ridiculous degree. With some warts sure, but this is fantastic with the over time historic depth of character development unlike anything I’ve ever seen in any show/movie/series.

Ground breaking in some respects. The scenes with Kreese in prison are so off the charts good and deep. The scene with the therapist, just wow. Hard to describe the why’s of all this, but I think you guys do well explaining it above. Just awesome

Hell, Kreese faking his own death AGAIN!! What a boss move and you know what? I totally bought it at first that he was actually dead! lol!!

How about now?

How about now?
I….still haven’t watched past Ep 3.

It’s on my radar though.

Gonna get a little tougher with the baseball playoffs coming, but I will continue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom