Cokers hit on the punt returner? | Syracusefan.com

Cokers hit on the punt returner?

SmilinBob

Living Legend
Was that one of those mysterious depends on the ref penalties or was it an actual give him space thing? It annoyed the heck out of me because I thought it was a heck of a play.

Was that one of those mysterious depends on the ref penalties or was it an actual give him space thing? It annoyed the heck out of me because I thought it was a heck of a play.
yeah even the announcers said it was a horrible call and a great play

It was very close, but seemed like a clean hit to me--he just closed fast on the punt returner. The announcers seemed to agree with that impression during the real time telecast.

I think it was a 'welcome to the south' penalty, as was the non-intentional grounding.

What annoyed me even more was it seemed to be right after the Roughing the passer that gave GT another chance after they failed on their 3rd and goal.

The calls against ranged from a few good calls to about three questionable calls to 3 flat out horrid calls or no calls. If the refs call a fair game we could of held them in the 40s !!!!!

the halo rule is no longer,great play by coker and old school refs from a few years ago.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f9/no-more-halo-in-college-football-13585.html
yep, and this is insane. Everywhere else in the sport their trying to protect players, except here? What its nuts and makes no sense. You just know the returners want to err on the side of breaking one, which is an approach that is going to get someone lit up sooner or later. As to the hit it was perfectly legit, within the new, stupid, rules.

the halo rule is no longer,great play by coker and old school refs from a few years ago.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f9/no-more-halo-in-college-football-13585.html

Exactly. That used to be a penalty. But they changed the rule. You'll see that same play at least 50 more times this year in college football, and I'll bet 50 of them do not result in a flag. Shafer needs to send that in to the ACC office. Next time Coker does that it could result in a fumble, or maybe be a good momentum changer for us. If I were Shafer I wouldn't just let it go because it had no impact on this particular blowout.

you guys all nailed it. it wouldnt have made a big difference, as we got beat badly regardless, but some bad calls against us and no calls against them. i rember there was one hit on the series leading up to that punt where hunt took a good shot late and high and there was no call

The ref had his hand on the flag before the receiver even caught the ball. Also, I think it was in the fourth quarter he was reaching for it again but didn't throw it. I didn't see a big difference in either play except the game was out of control by then.

What surprised me is that I haven't seen that type of call blown in a long time. Things like holding I can see where that is missed every now and then but this is pretty clear cut. Is that not a reviewable call?

this halo was always a stupid rule.. the punt returner has full control of the play.. they dont want to get hit call a fair catch.. this is far different than a defenseless rcvr.

It was very close, but seemed like a clean hit to me--he just closed fast on the punt returner. The announcers seemed to agree with that impression during the real time telecast.

it was a clean hit no matter what way you look at it.

and it wasnt that close.

the only thing that was close on that play - was if the flag had already landed on the ground before coker made the hit or not.

it was a clean hit no matter what way you look at it.

and it wasnt that close.

the only thing that was close on that play - was if the flag had already landed on the ground before coker made the hit or not.

Agree 100%--I rewound it in real time, and it looked like the ref was already pulling his flag before the hit even happened. Totally anticipatory.

The ref had his hand on the flag before the receiver even caught the ball. Also, I think it was in the fourth quarter he was reaching for it again but didn't throw it. I didn't see a big difference in either play except the game was out of control by then.

It was worse than that.

The flag was out before the hit!!

It was ridiculous.

It was worse than that.

The flag was out before the hit!!

It was ridiculous.
At the very least, it was a case of gross over-anticipation by the official. If the flag was indeed out before contact, it was malfeasance.

Reminds me of one of our favorite Basketball refs, blowing the whistle before the play occurs.

Ok, so...my bride is a 3rd shift RN....my reaction to that call woke her up....should I say more?

I recall the 1996 game v. Miami Quinton Spotwood was his BEFORE the ball got there. The ball, in the replay, actually hit the Mimai player in the right shoulder-pad as he was hitting #8. That was a fumble awarded to Miami...

So, yea, to sum up. ACC refs can all F themselves with a hot poker.

Again...I just want College football refs...not ACC...not SEC ...not Big 10...NCAA refs. Granted you will still have refs out there with certain bias but still try to take this out of their hands as often as possible. I honestly thought there HAD to be a halo rule because Coker nailed that guy by far within the rules.

There were 3 specific plays that had me question if the refs were possibly advised to make sure we had a tough game. 1. The personal foul on I believe it was Micah Robinson, fingers barely touch the helmet and he is called for a personal foul. I'm ok if it is called all around, but a drive or 2 later Hunt get hit with a helmet to helmet in which the defender leaves his feet and leads with his head, no call. The blatent chop block with the C engaged on John Raymon, in addition to no flag, it may end the young man's career. And the 3rd being the personal foul against Coker. How is there no mention of no penalties against GT?

Thought it was funny being at the game, they would never show certain replays that were questionable. That was one of them and so was the bogus roughing the passer call too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom